Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you are saying, tonight’s performance was a shocker but we were much better and more composed in the first leg so tonight was a surprise in that regard. Our home form has generally been better in the second half of the season too.

Docherty puts in a power of work for the team usually, he was just back from injury tonight. He’s not a natural goal scorer but can’t fault his effort and attitude. I find Rennie far more frustrating, he is so lacklustre most of the time. Yes, he’s won us the tie with both goals but he doesn’t offer much in general play at all.

Rennie has a much better goalscoring instinct than Docherty does, both his goals in these ties show that. Too often we'll cross a ball from wide or the byline and Docherty just isn't where you need your striker to be. Where Rennie has scored a few from rebounds and being in the right area for cutbacks etc.

I thought Docherty was hard done by tonight though, Duthie was poor and Salkeld clearly isn't suited to being out as wide as he was in the first half. I think he's sacrificing Salkeld or Scullion by putting them out wide to accommodate Duthie who's not really shown enough to merit starting. Rennie and Docherty upfront with Salkeld, Roberts, Cuddihy and Scullion forming up a diamond or 3-1 midfield is how I'd proceed if we've got all 6 fit.

15 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Saw this on other s media.  Interesting 1991 and we only got 400 souls for a home match v Morton.  

32 years later and our home support is actually slightly higher... FB_IMG_1683887125723.thumb.jpg.5295bd4adb0ed5e33c9fc90afb8f1b70.jpg

Interesting looking back to an era I remember well. Ayr, Falkirk & Raith's crowds have fairly dwindled & some result for the Bankies!

On 13/05/2023 at 03:32, Life on Marrs? said:

Interesting looking back to an era I remember well. Ayr, Falkirk & Raith's crowds have fairly dwindled & some result for the Bankies!

Those games all meant something and it was the last day of the season. Ayr needed to win to stay up, Airdrie needed to win to go up at Raith and Falkirk had won the league.

25 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Those games all meant something and it was the last day of the season. Ayr needed to win to stay up, Airdrie needed to win to go up at Raith and Falkirk had won the league.

Yeah, last day of the season is hardly the most reasonable comparison to quote. You're always going to get skewed crowds then. I actually think a meaningful Ayr v Kilmarnock game on the last game this season (which could still happen) would have a much bigger crowd than that.

I was in that 606 at QoS v Montrose. Montrose clinched promotion that day. They had a big support down and the game was utterly meaningless to QoS. I imagine there were only about 300 home fans there!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

On 12/05/2023 at 11:36, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Saw this on other s media.  Interesting 1991 and we only got 400 souls for a home match v Morton.  

32 years later and our home support is actually slightly higher... FB_IMG_1683887125723.thumb.jpg.5295bd4adb0ed5e33c9fc90afb8f1b70.jpg

Last game at firhill,already relagated the the week before.

I thought over the tie East Fife were the better team, they at least tried to play a bit of football. We played about 15 mins good football in the 2nd half on friday, that was it. I think scoring the goals masked our bad performances as everyone was just relived. It's been hoof ball for most of the time since JD came in and that's depressing. I really hope he doesn't stay after the summer.

11 hours ago, No Jags Please said:

I thought over the tie East Fife were the better team, they at least tried to play a bit of football. We played about 15 mins good football in the 2nd half on friday, that was it. I think scoring the goals masked our bad performances as everyone was just relived. It's been hoof ball for most of the time since JD came in and that's depressing. I really hope he doesn't stay after the summer.

I don't completely agree.  I thought we played better away from home that we did on Friday.  I guess the plan was to sit in on Friday and frustrate EF; that turned to ratshit after 10 mins.

I'm also not a huge Duffy fan, but our last 8 games have been pretty effectively managed: 1 loss in 8 compared with something like 12 losses on the trot earlier. If we can get someone better in, I'd be happy. Our form in this area is pretty poor over the years.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I'm also not a huge Duffy fan, but our last 8 games have been pretty effectively managed: 1 loss in 8 compared with something like 12 losses on the trot earlier. If we can get someone better in, I'd be happy. Our form in this area is pretty poor over the years.

I do wonder how much of that is the Swift effect, as the rot only really began to stop after he was brought in.

On 12/05/2023 at 11:36, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I was at Falkirk v Meadowbank

Brockville was packed, it was a nice day, and that dirty bugger Stainrod broke Donald Park's leg and should have been sent off. 

And Thistle had a decent travelling support through with them.

Interesting to see Craig Brewster still playing for Forfar as late as 1991. A late starter in his career perhaps?

Just wondered how keen Clyde fans were to win through & stay in league 1. Now that we have gone down actually looking forward to next season playing teams a more simiilar level to ourselves. The past few years with around half the teams having full time set ups you knew we would have to play very well to get into the play-off at the right end which meant playing to avoid what eventually happened. Would imagine many Clyde fans have felt the same so basically asking if they want another season like this or not

2 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Just wondered how keen Clyde fans were to win through & stay in league 1. Now that we have gone down actually looking forward to next season playing teams a more simiilar level to ourselves. The past few years with around half the teams having full time set ups you knew we would have to play very well to get into the play-off at the right end which meant playing to avoid what eventually happened. Would imagine many Clyde fans have felt the same so basically asking if they want another season like this or not

If we went down I'd probably get used to it and look forward to some changes of scenery but of course I want to stay up. With ambitious clubs down the pyramid then relegation would just be a step closer to the trap door and playing B and uni teams. 

If we stay up then next season would also be our first back in League 1 without Lennons poor recruitment so maybe whoevers in the dugout can get that right or at least better to give ourselves more of a chance but it's Clyde so that's probably a pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, peternapper said:

I've got conflicting feelings about it, to be honest. Remaining in League One is presently, for us, basically an insurance policy against the dreaded drop down to the fifth tier, so from that perspective it buys us another season until we can (hopefully) secure a permanent home and start to build other income streams and grow the club a wee bit. On the other hand, it will be a markedly decreased budget we have next season and it's very likely we would have a season akin to this one, cut adrift from the pack, so it would be nice to be better-matched with our rivals in League Two. Overall, I'd say my personal preference would be to stay in League One, but there are opposing pros and cons on both sides of the coin.

League 1 looks like it will be considerably poorer next season. I don't have an issue being in a relegation scrap if we are being competitive.

I'd also like a year off from playing Peterhead.

4 hours ago, peternapper said:

Not sure what I find more surprising/depressing. The fact you asked this question in the first place or the fact a couple of Clyde fans seem to be entertaining the idea that relegation would be preferable to staying up! 

For the avoidance of doubt, I want my team to stay up and I begin every season with aspirations of finishing as high up the table as possible. I understand that given the current circumstances, we aren't able to compete financially with most other teams in the division and, as a result, will often have a weaker squad compared with others. That said, at this level of the game there's a lot to be said for fitness and a good work ethic - neither of which require lots of cash.

It's a sad day when you see a football fan embrace relegation due to the expectation of a few more wins over the course of the season. Is that a viewpoint shared by other Peterhead fans? If so, it's little wonder you guys finished last. 

39 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Not sure what I find more surprising/depressing. The fact you asked this question in the first place or the fact a couple of Clyde fans seem to be entertaining the idea that relegation would be preferable to staying up! 

For the avoidance of doubt, I want my team to stay up and I begin every season with aspirations of finishing as high up the table as possible. I understand that given the current circumstances, we aren't able to compete financially with most other teams in the division and, as a result, will often have a weaker squad compared with others. That said, at this level of the game there's a lot to be said for fitness and a good work ethic - neither of which require lots of cash.

It's a sad day when you see a football fan embrace relegation due to the expectation of a few more wins over the course of the season. Is that a viewpoint shared by other Peterhead fans? If so, it's little wonder you guys finished last. 

We've had a long time to get used to the idea of playing in League 2 tbf.  However, what the fans do or don't think has nothing to do with why we were relegated any more than it is Clyde fans fault that they are lodgers.without their own ground.  Decisions are not made fans but the consequences are certainly felt by them.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

We've had a long time to get used to the idea of playing in League 2 tbf.  However, what the fans do or don't think has nothing to do with why we were relegated any more than it is Clyde fans fault that they are lodgers.without their own ground.  Decisions are not made fans but the consequences are certainly felt by them.

The decisions may not have been fan made but if the overall mentality among the support was one of acceptance and by by the looks of it perhaps even an eagerness to be relegated then that could quite easily have an effect on the squad and, by extension, performances and results. 

If your expectations as fans are rock bottom you're unlikely to motivate your team to deliver on the park. 

10 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

The decisions may not have been fan made but if the overall mentality among the support was one of acceptance and by by the looks of it perhaps even an eagerness to be relegated then that could quite easily have an effect on the squad and, by extension, performances and results. 

If your expectations as fans are rock bottom you're unlikely to motivate your team to deliver on the park. 

Mate, we hardly had the same players for more than a couple of weeks, there was no opportunity to motivate or demotivate.

I think you may also be overestimating the influence supporters have.

5 hours ago, peternapper said:

Just wondered how keen Clyde fans were to win through & stay in league 1. 

I can tell you that I definitely do not want to be back in League 2 next season.

I don't think we have the luxury of being able to say 'Well it'll be refreshing to play against opposition of a lower level and win some more games as a result'. I'd expect us to be towards the bottom end of the table, for many reasons.

The longer we're in League 1, the longer we stave off the inevitable. Hopefully at some point we luck in and sign a decent squad of players and don't spend the entire season fighting relegation.