Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

5 hours ago, STTOFO said:

Were you in the room or did someone tell you ?  If the latter then that Director must have been a B Gracey ? We all should remember him.

Set up this 3 children - bloody hell presh, between them they own half of Glasgow city centre night spots,  so I would reckon, pure fabrication.

Finally, the fact the late Mr King used the word "son", I suspect the term was more in contempt for that individual than anything serious.

Stop peddling lies presh, or you can always provide absolute proof. 

… and if King was not serious, why did the second meeting take place?

17 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why are people so sure owning a stadium is economic? There will be costs in owning just as there is in rental, how many businesses own the premises they trade from? Are there really so many opportunities presented by owning a one stand/basic stadium, if so why aren't Dumbarton and East Fife rolling in money?

Both Dumbarton and East Fife have owners who are happy to strangle the clubs. You absolutely could generate non-match day income from our stadiums IMO, it's just that currently at each club you'll have volunteers trying to run it in their spare time or it all gets completely outsourced, meaning profits are low. We had a guy employed for events this season and he fucked off after a few months after a fall out with the board - they aren't willing to invest to see a proper return there. 

16 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I’d imagine because they are stand alone basic stadiums. Little or no ability to generate income outside a Match day. Not a business model that works in 2023.

Not sure what you mean by this, we hold weddings (given our picturesque location) and functions all the time but as my above post, it's how these things are run that determines how much money a club can make. A lot of the function stuff gets outsourced and all clubs really take is the hall hire fee and a small cut of the bar.

9 hours ago, STTOFO said:

Set up this 3 children - bloody hell presh, between them they own half of Glasgow city centre night spots,  . 

You're thinking about his nephew

As per Companies House....interesting 'companies' incidentally....the 3 in question are a bookmaker, a primary school teacher and a secretary

Chromium kicked their housing plans into touch.  The idea that in principle they're not willing to sell is laughable.  Who they're willing to pick the phone up to is another matter. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Both Dumbarton and East Fife have owners who are happy to strangle the clubs. You absolutely could generate non-match day income from our stadiums IMO, it's just that currently at each club you'll have volunteers trying to run it in their spare time or it all gets completely outsourced, meaning profits are low. We had a guy employed for events this season and he fucked off after a few months after a fall out with the board - they aren't willing to invest to see a proper return there. 

Not sure what you mean by this, we hold weddings (given our picturesque location) and functions all the time but as my above post, it's how these things are run that determines how much money a club can make. A lot of the function stuff gets outsourced and all clubs really take is the hall hire fee and a small cut of the bar.

That’s my point really; it’s the business model that is unsustainable. Which in your case is really unfortunate and big opportunity missed? Was this a result of poor negotiations with owners or other factors? Genuinely interested to to know 

35 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Chromium kicked their housing plans into touch.  The idea that in principle they're not willing to sell is laughable.  Who they're willing to pick the phone up to is another matter. 

Absolutely. Why wouldn't they want to sell to Clyde if a reasonable offer was made?

If the Crownpoint bid is unsuccessful, it could be time to re-examine the ownership model. Could the club attract enough new owners to put in say 5-10K each in order to raise enough cash to put in a reasonable offer for Shawfield? Would need to ensure they are made owners in the true sense of the word and actually include them in the running of the club of course. A vote on next season's strip design and access to the online forum ain't gonna cut it.

Under no illusions though as I realise even if we did somehow manage to acquire Shawfield, we'd then have the major issue/cost of renovation. Just thinking out loud really and hoping there is a plan B (other than just extending the Hamilton deal) if Crownpoint doesn't happen. 

36 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

That’s my point really; it’s the business model that is unsustainable. Which in your case is really unfortunate and big opportunity missed? Was this a result of poor negotiations with owners or other factors? Genuinely interested to to know 

It's just simply how various boards have chosen to run it but it's not helped by owners who are only interested in demolishing the ground and selling the land. If you have owners and a board who all want to see a club thrive then it can be done, it's a lot of work for a small number of people to undertake which is why a lot of it gets outsourced. But I do believe with the right organisation a lot of things don't need outsourced to make use of the space you have. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's just simply how various boards have chosen to run it but it's not helped by owners who are only interested in demolishing the ground and selling the land. If you have owners and a board who all want to see a club thrive then it can be done, it's a lot of work for a small number of people to undertake which is why a lot of it gets outsourced. But I do believe with the right organisation a lot of things don't need outsourced to make use of the space you have. 

Whilst the ownership has been the major issue, the Boardroom has been problematic too.  We've had far too many former lawyers, former doctors, former whisky executives, etc., with a consequent lack of dynamism and work ethic, all of it more akin to a select golf club.

What business and marketing acumen we did have was marginalised to Associate Directorships and eventually drifted off.

2 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

You're thinking about his nephew

As per Companies House....interesting 'companies' incidentally....the 3 in question are a bookmaker, a primary school teacher and a secretary

That’s entirely the point- we’ve upset the family no doubt.

It was a clear opportunity for certain despite the cynicism and lack of knowledge displayed by STTOFO.

13 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Saw this on other s media.  Interesting 1991 and we only got 400 souls for a home match v Morton.  

32 years later and our home support is actually slightly higher... FB_IMG_1683887125723.thumb.jpg.5295bd4adb0ed5e33c9fc90afb8f1b70.jpg

Right but there's some kind of other factor at play here.

The previous home game's attendances are listed as 1382 vs Dundee, 1623 vs Killie, 3490 vs Thistle etc. Looks like our ave. home gate for the season was about 1500.

If your point here is 'We're actually getting MORE fans through the gates now', that's weird. If your point is 'There appears to have been something else happening on May 11th 1991 that meant that fans didn't attend that game, what an interesting anomaly' then fair play.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

4 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Right but there's some kind of other factor at play here.

The previous home game's attendances are listed as 1382 vs Dundee, 1623 vs Killie, 3490 vs Thistle etc. Looks like our ave. home gate for the season was about 1500.

If your point here is 'We're actually getting MORE fans through the gates now', that's weird. If your point is 'There appears to have been something else happening on May 11th 1991 that meant that fans didn't attend that game, what an interesting anomaly' then fair play.

You'd expect Dundee and Killie to bring a decent travelling support with them; but Morton wouldn't have been badly supported.

I'm not saying we are better supported today, but the home attendance is of the same at a similar poor level today as it was 30+ years ago.

Was wondering what Clyde’s plan was for a future home, great reading back through the thread to find stuff out. That’s crap the family have cut contact. With shawfield off the table, what’s plan B? Long term @ Hamilton?

Although we won the tie tonight I'm still raging with that performance. To be outplayed by a team finishing fourth in League Two is an indication of where we are and where we are about to end up.

We have a striker, Doherty, who rarely scores, can't hold up the ball, can't header the ball and has no ability to run in behind. I genuinely think he offers less than Robert Jones (I can't believe I'd ever say that about a anything other than a more covered rock).

That's quite a problem when we continually miss out the midfield with high balls aimed in his general direction only for him to immediately lose possession.

And he's here next season too!

The midfield, other than a five minute period towards the end of the first half, and for most of the season have zero ability to impose themselves on a full strength opposition. Only with the sending off did they start to dominate but along with the defenders moved the ball at a snails pace finally ending with an easily defended cross into the box.

Finally, Jim Duffy, please just piss off. I don't think I could bear to watch such mind numbing football next season.

32 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Although we won the tie tonight I'm still raging with that performance. To be outplayed by a team finishing fourth in League Two is an indication of where we are and where we are about to end up.

We have a striker, Doherty, who rarely scores, can't hold up the ball, can't header the ball and has no ability to run in behind. I genuinely think he offers less than Robert Jones (I can't believe I'd ever say that about a anything other than a more covered rock).

That's quite a problem when we continually miss out the midfield with high balls aimed in his general direction only for him to immediately lose possession.

And he's here next season too!

The midfield, other than a five minute period towards the end of the first half, and for most of the season have zero ability to impose themselves on a full strength opposition. Only with the sending off did they start to dominate but along with the defenders moved the ball at a snails pace finally ending with an easily defended cross into the box.

Finally, Jim Duffy, please just piss off. I don't think I could bear to watch such mind numbing football next season.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you are saying, tonight’s performance was a shocker but we were much better and more composed in the first leg so tonight was a surprise in that regard. Our home form has generally been better in the second half of the season too.

Docherty puts in a power of work for the team usually, he was just back from injury tonight. He’s not a natural goal scorer but can’t fault his effort and attitude. I find Rennie far more frustrating, he is so lacklustre most of the time. Yes, he’s won us the tie with both goals but he doesn’t offer much in general play at all.

49 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Hear, hear. If Duffy's contract is extended into next season I won't be renewing my season ticket - no matter what league we're playing in! If he does somehow manage to steer us through these playoffs and save us from the drop then I'll be first to thank the guy but we really need to try something different for next season. 

5 hours ago, Jamie92 said:

Was wondering what Clyde’s plan was for a future home, great reading back through the thread to find stuff out. That’s crap the family have cut contact. With shawfield off the table, what’s plan B? Long term @ Hamilton?

Why no just take over East Kilbride , change their name.

A big toon like that otherwise they could overtake you !