Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

How do you know there's no-one waiting? The Board don't always let owners or fans know of any interest to get involved.

You may have asked the question,  but don't assume because you have received no response or satisfactory answers that it is not possible there are people interested.

How many teams above us in league 1 have a rich benefactor? We could start by not alienating people who have contributed large sums of money in the past....2 at least who regularly helped have walked away and it's rumoured that the owner of Homesbook is off now too before the end of his 5 year stint as main sponsor.  We have to be asking why these disconnects with Clyde minded people who have given serious money over the years is happening.

Interesting that you make the statement about no-one having the necessary business or financial skills- a bit of a sweeping statement if you don't mind me saying.  You don't know who supports Clyde...it may just be a choice not to "spaff" their money on the current poorly run operation, with no prospect of their investment being returned. There are people out there who are very fond of the Club and are very successful in their field, I just don't think they are of a mind to throw good money after bad anymore. 

What it needs is a complete clear out at Board level and let's see who emerges and what their ideas would be. The level of suspicion always aimed at anyone who may want to help, is damaging to the prospect of change.

What next if Crown Point fails? I am almost expecting the suggestion of a merger with Hamilton to be put out there, seeing as we may be in the same league next year and they too appear to be struggling financially, although the likelihood of us making that happen by surviving the play offs is less likely than Hamilton staying in the Championship.

What happens if the board is cleared out and there are no one ready to step in?

What's the reason I believe there's no one waiting to step up? The fact no one has stepped up. The fact the board have stated on numerous occasions they are open to interested parties. If I recall correctly, did they not also state they'd even be prepared to consider changes to the ownership model if it facilitated investment.

I've no idea why Homesbook are ending their sponsorship. Do you know? For all we know it may be more to due with the company's balancing it's own books than displeasure with the board/club.

I'm not an apologist for the board. They've made many mistakes and they lack many things but I don't see any alternative at the moment. Someone has to run the club. Unfortunately we have the best of a non existent bunch doing it.

10 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

What happens if the board is cleared out and there are no one ready to step in?

What's the reason I believe there's no one waiting to step up? The fact no one has stepped up. The fact the board have stated on numerous occasions they are open to interested parties. If I recall correctly, did they not also state they'd even be prepared to consider changes to the ownership model if it facilitated investment.

I've no idea why Homesbook are ending their sponsorship. Do you know? For all we know it may be more to due with the company's balancing it's own books than displeasure with the board/club.

I'm not an apologist for the board. They've made many mistakes and they lack many things but I don't see any alternative at the moment. Someone has to run the club. Unfortunately we have the best of a non existent bunch doing it.

Lots of assumptions in our decision making though.

And a lot of trust in the word of the Board too.

Edited by Harry Hood Fan Club
spell

It’s not about “selling a few pints or pies on a Saturday” is it though? it’s about having income stream 7 days a week and beyond.

I don’t know as I am no way involved,  but I assume it’s about linking in with local communities and businesses for sponsorship and engagement (those who won’t get involved with Old firm and there are many who don’t because it alienates half the custom,  sadly in this country).

Linking with local groups, after school clubs, adult fitness, mental health groups, hire of facilities, meeting rooms etc. All of which unavailable to us at Broadwood ; yes I know mistakes were made in this regard, but it just never seemed to happen even when we did make some effort. 

We need to make a change, if it works then wonderful if not at least we tried, we are heading to oblivion at present so we have no choice but to try this.
We have a very impressive initial bid but obviously no one can tell how those things transpire but to my mind we have To support the club in this venture. 

At the very least the support whether in favour of this or not have to turn up at the open meeting this week and actually see what the plan is.  I assume be able to speak to the relocation group who I’d like to think have some vision of what the complex will look like etc.

At least give them a chance!

So in total so far, that is 14 wins in 71 games over the last 2 seasons. If we stay up, we’ll definitely be the whipping boys no doubt next season and even less fans will want to be coming.  It’s really dire and I think any Crownpoint decision is as close to a “last chance saloon” as you could get 😪😪😪

What I think we will find is the reason no one will want to step in or contribute is the members of the current board who clearly chase and piss anyone off who tries to enter their club. Anyone who ever seems to be active or willing to make change or try new ideas always seems to leave pretty quick...Common denominator there is the board members. 

Isn't current board member the reason the owners of shawfield told them to leave when they were open to a negotiation. The same board members who pissed off the Glen's about a proposal to share grounds and the same board who Clyde Gateway said they wouldn't work woth us as long as a certain Mr Alexander was on board? 

6 hours ago, bullyweehutch said:

What I think we will find is the reason no one will want to step in or contribute is the members of the current board who clearly chase and piss anyone off who tries to enter their club. Anyone who ever seems to be active or willing to make change or try new ideas always seems to leave pretty quick...Common denominator there is the board members. 

Isn't current board member the reason the owners of shawfield told them to leave when they were open to a negotiation. The same board members who pissed off the Glen's about a proposal to share grounds and the same board who Clyde Gateway said they wouldn't work woth us as long as a certain Mr Alexander was on board? 

Someone is getting the hang of this.

On 30/04/2023 at 12:38, BonnieClyde said:

That a decision was made to leave Broadwood at an early stage when we may well lose to the competing bidder, which I see as being a real likelihood. There doesnt seem to be much acknowledgement at the poor decision making over the past 18 months over the move, the manager, the recruitment. Not to mention how it looks to whoever decides upon it. 

NLL had stated they would not renew out lease beyond this season. The stage of the Crownpoint bid is completely irrelevant. If we had seen out our last year of our lease, what difference would that have made to our finances or long term security?

16 hours ago, bullyweehutch said:

Source ?

I don't know the people involved on the Clyde board but there is a long pattern of very poor decision making over many years. 

Regardless of whether the club stays up this year, or not sooner or later disaster will strike unless there is root and branch reform. The club is heading for obscurity without major change. Its  obvious and that in itself undermines confidence.   

While there remains some latent support (2ooo or so who pitched up at Broadwood for promotion and that's way more than many others could get) the core support is declining rapidly and with little ability to re-generate new support. The club has lost its philosophy and reason to support and urgently needs to rebuild what it stands for. But with some money, as QP has shown, things can be turned around quickly but leave it much longer and it may be unrecoverable.

The Board would be duty bound to show any serious bid to the shareholders- it is not a private thiefdom but a community company. The truth is homeless the club has zero value outside some modest value attached to SPFL membership which in itself is no longer a monopoly status. The Board need to be persuaded to let new people with some investment money run it.

Outside investment is needed urgently to secure a stadium (perhaps Crownpoint) but I also think new people could attempt to negotiate with the owners of Shawfield. Given environmental concerns it is far from certain it will gain housing permission without a huge environmental clean up. It still may not be too late. The stadium is dilapidated but the stand probably is just about OK- the rest could slowly be renovated over time.

Broadly if the club is to survive it needs a permanent home ( I still would leave no Shawfield stone unturned) but more than that the club needs to rebuild its identity and the support base. It needs to find a way to appeal, a quirkiness and purpose. Currently no one knows what the club stands for and that, given the clubs heritage, absolutely is the fault of those in charge (over many years).

Time is short- thoughts on how seriously the Board/ support would react to a bid and how much is needed to achieve this  if a new team is to be brought in?

1 hour ago, support the underdog said:

I don't know the people involved on the Clyde board but there is a long pattern of very poor decision making over many years. 

Regardless of whether the club stays up this year, or not sooner or later disaster will strike unless there is root and branch reform. The club is heading for obscurity without major change. Its  obvious and that in itself undermines confidence.   

While there remains some latent support (2ooo or so who pitched up at Broadwood for promotion and that's way more than many others could get) the core support is declining rapidly and with little ability to re-generate new support. The club has lost its philosophy and reason to support and urgently needs to rebuild what it stands for. But with some money, as QP has shown, things can be turned around quickly but leave it much longer and it may be unrecoverable.

The Board would be duty bound to show any serious bid to the shareholders- it is not a private thiefdom but a community company. The truth is homeless the club has zero value outside some modest value attached to SPFL membership which in itself is no longer a monopoly status. The Board need to be persuaded to let new people with some investment money run it.

Outside investment is needed urgently to secure a stadium (perhaps Crownpoint) but I also think new people could attempt to negotiate with the owners of Shawfield. Given environmental concerns it is far from certain it will gain housing permission without a huge environmental clean up. It still may not be too late. The stadium is dilapidated but the stand probably is just about OK- the rest could slowly be renovated over time.

Broadly if the club is to survive it needs a permanent home ( I still would leave no Shawfield stone unturned) but more than that the club needs to rebuild its identity and the support base. It needs to find a way to appeal, a quirkiness and purpose. Currently no one knows what the club stands for and that, given the clubs heritage, absolutely is the fault of those in charge (over many years).

Time is short- thoughts on how seriously the Board/ support would react to a bid and how much is needed to achieve this  if a new team is to be brought in?

At the AGM we were told that the owners of Shawfield do not want to sell to the club, despite several attempts by the club and are no longer contactable.  It is unfortunate as it would be the fairytale to return but it is dead in the water.

Tomorrow at the drop in meeting at Crownpoint we will hopefully see what a move could offer in terms of owning our stadium and generating money to make us competitive which is what we all want.  I would suggest we give the board and Relocation team a chance to show us what is on offer and enter the meeting with an open mind, regardless of our personal feelings.  

15 hours ago, Captain Sham said:

At the AGM we were told that the owners of Shawfield do not want to sell to the club, despite several attempts by the club and are no longer contactable.  It is unfortunate as it would be the fairytale to return but it is dead in the water.

Tomorrow at the drop in meeting at Crownpoint we will hopefully see what a move could offer in terms of owning our stadium and generating money to make us competitive which is what we all want.  I would suggest we give the board and Relocation team a chance to show us what is on offer and enter the meeting with an open mind, regardless of our personal feelings.  

why are they so against it? Is it simply they believe it is worth more as housing or is it some other reason?

6 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Clyde left Shawfield nearly 38 years ago. There are a nearly 2 whole generations of Clyde fans who have never seen the team play there.

Move on man 😂

It could be worse. They could be pining for Barrowfield Park.

On 01/05/2023 at 08:10, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

How do you know there's no-one waiting? The Board don't always let owners or fans know of any interest to get involved.

You may have asked the question,  but don't assume because you have received no response or satisfactory answers that it is not possible there are people interested.

How many teams above us in league 1 have a rich benefactor? We could start by not alienating people who have contributed large sums of money in the past....2 at least who regularly helped have walked away and it's rumoured that the owner of Homesbook is off now too before the end of his 5 year stint as main sponsor.  We have to be asking why these disconnects with Clyde minded people who have given serious money over the years is happening.

Interesting that you make the statement about no-one having the necessary business or financial skills- a bit of a sweeping statement if you don't mind me saying.  You don't know who supports Clyde...it may just be a choice not to "spaff" their money on the current poorly run operation, with no prospect of their investment being returned. There are people out there who are very fond of the Club and are very successful in their field, I just don't think they are of a mind to throw good money after bad anymore. 

What it needs is a complete clear out at Board level and let's see who emerges and what their ideas would be. The level of suspicion always aimed at anyone who may want to help, is damaging to the prospect of change.

What next if Crown Point fails? I am almost expecting the suggestion of a merger with Hamilton to be put out there, seeing as we may be in the same league next year and they too appear to be struggling financially, although the likelihood of us making that happen by surviving the play offs is less likely than Hamilton staying in the Championship.

My take on things

1. If there was someone with money to invest over the long term who was willing to do so then i am sure they would have stepped forward by now.  I am also sure that everyone on the board would resign if it was in the best interest of the club if someone with money to invest wanted that.

2. Teams above us in the league critically own their ground and rent it out on a daily basis whether than be the pitch for games, generating money from advertising boards or having rooms or other facilities they can rent out.  Our only money generating activity is on match days with about 50 people in the lounge bar before the game generating probably a couple of £00 per game.

3. Not surprised the guy from Homesbook is looking to leave.  He has ties with cumbernauld area so advertising a team based in Hamilton isnt in his interest.  He would be better sponsoring the cumbernauld colts.

4. I would be surprised if there is anyone with the necessary skills who are willing to step up and take a place on the board.  I would never be interested in a place on the board despite being a qualified person to offers services that would benefit the club as wouldnt want the hassle.

5. Anyone interested in investing in a football club looking for a return can forget it.  You have got to be prepared to accept you will be throwing money down the drain.  The only person can ever remember making money on their investment was Fergus McCann but he got got Celtic when the bank was ready to close them and they had and always will have a fan base of 100k+ in the west of scotland.  We are lucky if we have a fan base of 500.

6. Reality is that support has dwindled over the 40 years since leaving Shawfield.  Many who I remembered going to Shawfield as a boy are still going however they are 40 years older and many since have died.  Without your own home you wont build a fan base and there is no hope of building any additional support at hamilton (even if we had a decent team which we dont).  There was a chance when at Cumbernauld but for whatever reason that never materialised beyond the first half dozen games or so when we moved to Broadwood.

7. If the board resigned en masse then fair enough.  But there has to be others waiting in the wings to replace them who want to do so and can do a better job.  I dont think that there is

8. If crownpoint fails we are f#####.  Without a home the club will eventually fall into the lowland league within 5 - 10 years (maybe sooner as just needs a poor season in L2 then that you gone).  None of the teams that have went down from L2 yet have come back up; East Stirling, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Cowdenbeath.  We basically have similar fanbases to these clubs and entirely possible we will end up like them.  Teams such as ourselves; albion rovers, stranraer, stenhousemuir, forfar etc will one by one drop out of the league to be replaced by clubs with inherently bigger fanbases.

As said, just my take on things.

I am NOT a financial person so cannot understand how we can have 'the lowest budget in the bottom 2 leagues' while we consider paying off a capital loan of £3+ million.

We have some very dedicated Clyde centred people on the board.  We have also had peculiar individuals who have been influencing the board for far too long.  The board have been principled and cleared our debt AND fought against us being sold to dodgy individuals who would have seen us in the gutter before now. 

It was us, not Cumberland that broke the relationship at B/Wood.

If the key to unlocking Crownpoint is 'community' why did we not do it at B/Wood and why did The Colts eat our lunch?

How much £ do people imagine we can generate from a couple of 5 a-side pitches, when the latest pitch installed B/Wood cost >£800k?  

Look at our last attendances at Shawfield...they were pretty much the same as published gates this season.

On 30/04/2023 at 17:34, FREDDYFRY said:

So leaving a ground that many disliked where we made Zero income compared to at least trying to re-grow the club and  actually self generate income and ultimately competitive player budget is a mistake?

So, you think the Hamilton move has been a success? 

On 02/05/2023 at 13:50, bhoonaman said:

NLL had stated they would not renew out lease beyond this season. The stage of the Crownpoint bid is completely irrelevant. If we had seen out our last year of our lease, what difference would that have made to our finances or long term security?

This was based on us having a certain player on our books. Had we not capitulated to the pressure of a backer, I think we would have renegotiated a similar shitty deal with NLC for the coming years and not been made homeless.

It was a former chair and finance guy, who gave NLC notice of OUR intention to leave, was it not?