Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

From a quick look at the table there, I think with 7 games left (possible total of 36 pts) its only Kelty that you could arithmetically catch up with now (our mob have somehow scraped to safety), but that won't happen as you'd drop more than 3 points from those 7 games and Kelty would also pick up more than 3 from their last 7 games.  So its all about the battle between Clyde and Peterhead for the playoff spot.

Looking at recent games and in particular the feedback from Airdrie fans, Peterhead were apparently woeful.  Whereas, whilst not great, Clyde fairly easily held Queens underperforming "galacticos" the other week.  So I'd suggest that Clyde would be favourites for 9th over Peterhead.

I've no idea of the quality in L2 this season, but there should be no real reason to fear that - the current leaders Dumbarton got absolutely pumped at home by Albion Rovers (near the foot of the table) at the weekend.  The real challenge is confidence - when a team struggling against relegation goes up against a team vying for promotion, its all about a team struggling with confidence against a team that is used to winning and generally has more confidence.  Anyhow, best of luck.

13 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Absolutely agree that at least trying Swift (if that’s the only alternative available) till end of the season may give some kind of lift?

With my tinfoil hat on, I'd maybe say that in reality Swift is probably in charge anyway or rather at least more in charge than an 'assistant' normally is.

My thinking being that when things didn't improve under Duffy it was probably clear that he wouldn't be staying longer than the end of the season. Swift then became available and we bring him in. Now if the rest of the season is a dud and we go down, Duffy leaves and carries the can. If we don't go down, Swift coming in will be seen as a real turning point and he'll inherit on a high (the lowest high possible, but you know what I mean). Either way, it keeps the fans opinions of him at the very least ambivalent because somewhere a decision has been made that he'll be taking the team next season no matter what happens.

I am almost certainly giving the board too much credit here.

1 hour ago, Bob731 said:

So Peterhead have now sacked David Robertson…hopefully they’ll remain shitier than us. 

More likely to have a positive effect on the Peterhead squad and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they start to scrape a few draws and maybe even a couple of wins as a result of getting rid of the manager. Don't forget - even Duffy managed a couple of draws against Falkirk and top of the table Dunfermline when he first came in and there was a noticeable lift in the players/general atmosphere for those first few weeks. Never underestimate the effect a change of manager can have, even when the incoming manager is terrible!

For this reason alone, we should be taking the gamble of officially appointing Swift as our new manager NOW. Can anyone give me one good reason why we should wait? If it is (as I suspect) little more than professional courtesy to Duffy then we really need the board to be called to account. We owe Jim Duffy nothing.

On 19/03/2023 at 22:07, David W said:

Ourselves and Peterhead currently have a total of 27 points. I suppose we may as well try and make history.

8 of 27 points have been against each other, against the rest, between us we have accumulated 19 points from a possible 171 , 6 of which we took in the first couple of games

I think there’s quite a few reasons why we shouldn’t appoint Swift as our manager just now. Most importantly of all being is that we will most likely be going down regardless of us being 10th or 9th. 

We can’t just chop and change because others have done so. 

11 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I think there’s quite a few reasons why we shouldn’t appoint Swift as our manager just now. Most importantly of all being is that we will most likely be going down regardless of us being 10th or 9th. 

We can’t just chop and change because others have done so. 

So we shouldn't change anything in an effort to avoid relegation because relegation is an inevitability? I can understand this mindset given the situation we find ourselves in but I still say we should be trying everything in our power to give us the best chance not only of securing 9th place but potentially getting a run of more positive performances/results in these last few games.

As I said earlier, Swift may not be the answer but the positive effect of a manager change is a common occurrence in football and for that alone we should 100% be taking a punt on him now - get him in for the Airdrie game! Jim can 'mentor' him from behind the scenes to save any blushes if that's what the board are worried about but what have we got to lose in appointing Swift now? You mention "quite a few reasons" why we shouldn't give the gig to Swift but other than guessing he won't be any better or perhaps worse than Duffy you haven't said what these are. Care to share?

I wouldn’t be expecting to have either of them around next season if we go down. Better to survive first. Remember how long it took to get into this league? Trouble is we have no other potential leader in the staff. Craig Brown for the last few matches.....

1 hour ago, RutherGlen said:

You mention "quite a few reasons" why we shouldn't give the gig to Swift but other than guessing he won't be any better or perhaps worse than Duffy you haven't said what these are. Care to share?

I would be more than happy to share my reasons, and as I say this is just my perosnal opinions on the matter 

1)The squad much like Peterhead’s in its current state isn’t good enough. I don’t think a change of manager for either club will see any pickup in form. Happy to be proved wrong. 

2)As I said, in my opinion if we finish 9th or 10th we will be going down. This team don’t have it in them to win 2 2 legged ties in the playoffs against in form teams. Duffy actually improved the squad in my opinion in spite of having the leagues top scorer sold from under him and we are still miles off it. Again will be delighted if proven wrong. 

3)The Swift taking over from Duffy in the summer rumour is at this stage just a rumour. All be it a likely one. If the plan for the board was to bring him in and sound him out for the main job, or to have him around the squad before giving him the job in the summer this plan shouldn’t change because of what Peterhead are doing. 

4) Next season should in my opinion be a fresh start. If that’s with Swift taking over officially then he shouldn’t have the stink of whatever happens in the run in on him 

5) If there is no plan from the board for Swift to take over in the summer and to move him on. Handing him the job just now and he keeps us up forces our hand. We should see why division we are in before making decisions like this

6) Is Stephen Swift the answer? Jury’s out

7) Not sure getting rid of managers in the hope of new manger bounces is a viable model to run. How long till we get rid of Swift for another manager for example. Swift gets till end of regular season if we finish 9th with no up turn in form so we get rid of him for the playoffs?

Again I’m more than happy to have my mind changed on these. My viewpoint at the moment is very pessimistic, just want the season done and we go again in the summer hopefully in league 1 but likely league 2.  We are awful and the buck stops with Danny Lennon and The current board for that. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

19 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

More likely to have a positive effect on the Peterhead squad and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they start to scrape a few draws and maybe even a couple of wins

The chairman has absolutely savaged the squad in the media saying the 11 boys Robertson signed are pulling down the rest. Don’t think it’ll be a very harmonious camp for the rest of the season. 🤣

19 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I wonder how the supporters who looked to Open Goal Broomhill as an example of a well run aspirational club playing at Broadwood are feeling tonight.

I wonder where they'll be in a years time?

Hamstrung by the infamously crippling rent at Broadwood IMO. They’ll be world beaters next season if they can find somewhere that’ll let them sell a few pints and curry’s pre-match. 

9 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I would be more than happy to share my reasons, and as I say this is just my perosnal opinions on the matter 

1)The squad much like Peterhead’s in its current state isn’t good enough. I don’t think a change of manager for either club will see any pickup in form. Happy to be proved wrong. 

2)As I said, in my opinion if we finish 9th or 10th we will be going down. This team don’t have it in them to win 2 2 legged ties in the playoffs against in form teams. Duffy actually improved the squad in my opinion in spite of having the leagues top scorer sold from under him and we are still miles off it. Again will be delighted if proven wrong. 

3)The Swift taking over from Duffy in the summer rumour is at this stage just a rumour. All be it a likely one. If the plan for the board was to bring him in and sound him out for the main job, or to have him around the squad before giving him the job in the summer this plan shouldn’t change because of what Peterhead are doing. 

4) Next season should in my opinion be a fresh start. If that’s with Swift taking over officially then he shouldn’t have the stink of whatever happens in the run in on him 

5) If there is no plan from the board for Swift to take over in the summer and to move him on. Handing him the job just now and he keeps us up forces our hand. We should see why division we are in before making decisions like this

6) Is Stephen Swift the answer? Jury’s out

7) Not sure getting rid of managers in the hope of new manger bounces is a viable model to run. How long till we get rid of Swift for another manager for example. Swift gets till end of regular season if we finish 9th with no up turn in form so we get rid of him for the playoffs?

Again I’m more than happy to have my mind changed on these. My viewpoint at the moment is very pessimistic, just want the season done and we go again in the summer hopefully in league 1 but likely league 2.  We are awful and the buck stops with Danny Lennon and The current board for that. 

Bring back Danny Lennon the only Clyde manager to bring the club any recent success.

you lot have a short memory.

Has jim Duffy made the team better other than having his players shoot the wrong way.You lot chanted Danny’s name and the first sign of trouble you lot conducted a witch hunt.

jim Duffy will relegate this team as he is a cereal failure.

Looks like the board are exonerated from the blame game getting us kicked out of broadwood and playing at that shithole in Hamilton.

you lot are the problem as you all spout out all this nonsense and some of the clowns on the board listen to you and now look where we are.

4 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

The chairman has absolutely savaged the squad in the media saying the 11 boys Robertson signed are pulling down the rest. Don’t think it’ll be a very harmonious camp for the rest of the season. 🤣

Clyde chairman a couple of weeks ago that Danny was given a very competitive budget at the start of the season. He clearly spaffed most of it up agains the wall and most have been shipped out now. He shouldnt have been given another contract last year for this season.

Edited by Bob731

5 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Hamstrung by the infamously crippling rent at Broadwood IMO. They’ll be world beaters next season if they can find somewhere that’ll let them sell a few pints and curry’s pre-match. 

I'm sure Innes was quids in for a spell. Couldn't give a toss about Broomhill but nice to know the cut of the lounge might be limited to non existent. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What, like he struggles with his corn flakes or something? 🤔

You'll get a frostie reception from our fruit and nut job of a poster. He''ll probably suggest we sign for next season the boys Kellog, Jordans, Quaker and Alpen as a tasty midfield quartet!!.... to the chants of Cheerios Cheerios 

10 hours ago, Bob731 said:

Clyde chairman a couple of weeks ago that Danny was given a very competitive budget at the start of the season. He clearly spaffed most of it up agains the wall and most have been shipped out now. He shouldnt have been given another contract last year for this season.

I'd like him pressed on that as Ive heard it a couple of times. What is a competitive budget? Is it simply competitive against ourselves?

You can immediately rule out the idea that it's competitive relative to Dunfermline, Falkirk, QotS. 

Alloa, Airdrie (mostly FT), Montrose, Kelty all larger; historically and also indicated by squad quality and/or depth.

Edinburgh no idea but again their signings suggest a bit of cash there.

Can't disagree that we made poor signings and that Lennon is to blame for that but in our current state, we are never going to be anything other than a bottom 2/3 team in this division.