Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

6 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Seeing as absolutely nothing is happening, no one can be arsed in any way, I'm bored as anything at work and the Craig Howie's workmate patter popped into my head...

What was the job he was actually doing? And can anyone think of the maddest job a Clyde player has had?

He worked for a bank. My dad and I were the (now) ex-workmates!

Edited by Scott-Replay

11 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Seeing as absolutely nothing is happening, no one can be arsed in any way, I'm bored as anything at work and the Craig Howie's workmate patter popped into my head...

What was the job he was actually doing? And can anyone think of the maddest job a Clyde player has had?

Pat Scullion was a male model

On 04/03/2023 at 20:39, shawfield shed boy said:

Lennon should have been sacked after clydebank game and a young manager should have been brought in to rebuild, hindsight ia a wonderful thing indeed but season after season of bad signings was not a one off bad result and only so long we can rely on an east fife, forfar,Dumbarton or peterhead being worse than us...

On 04/03/2023 at 23:25, RutherGlen said:

I know it's unlikely but if we do somehow manage to stay up it'll largely be despite Duffy not because of him. If Duffy is then lauded as some sort of miracle worker by the board and awarded a contract extension I won't be returning next season - regardless of which league we're in. 

If it was up to me I'd be getting a new manager in NOW. It may not have the desired effect to save us this season but this current slow, deliberate limp to relegation is so damaging for the club and could permanently affect our fan base in terms of numbers...not to mention multiple potential cases of PTSD.

Please ask Duffy to do the decent thing and retire. If he's too proud to walk then use whatever cash we have left to get rid (ask the fan base to fund this if need be - you may be surprised how many will be prepared to put in a few quid towards this) and get someone in with a bit of drive/enthusiasm who's shown they can form a winning team, albeit probably at a significantly lower level than L1. A lot of the damage has already been done but continuing to inflict further damage when there's still a significant portion of the season left to play (with a potential escape route at the end of it) is utter madness.

Edited to add - whoever on our board who thought Duffy was the best man to take over for the remainder of this season should resign. If it was a unanimous decision by the board then a public apology will have to do. Disgraceful.

Do you reckon the succession plan is to have Stephen Swift take over the job once Duffy chucks it or is chucked?

Edited by airdrieman

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Do you reckon the succession plan is to have Stephen Swift take over the job once Duffy chucks it or is chucked?

To me yeah, it seems like that's definitely what the plan is - I think Swift will be manager next season. Duffy hasn't been able to turn things round (shock) so I can't see him hanging about so bringing Swift in until the end of the season to potentially let him pick up some advice and give him time to think about what the squad is going to look like next season.

It's the most "Clyde FC" thing ever though. Manager gets sacked for underperforming with a talented squad in the league below and we bring him in.

16 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

To me yeah, it seems like that's definitely what the plan is - I think Swift will be manager next season. Duffy hasn't been able to turn things round (shock) so I can't see him hanging about so bringing Swift in until the end of the season to potentially let him pick up some advice and give him time to think about what the squad is going to look like next season.

It's the most "Clyde FC" thing ever though. Manager gets sacked for underperforming with a talented squad in the league below and we bring him in.

He however was a success in the Lowland League. Maybe succession planning right enough!

41 minutes ago, 1993 said:

He however was a success in the Lowland League. Maybe succession planning right enough!

Definitely! I also thought it was a great shout from Stenny to bring him in, but he got a whole lot wrong in signing practically his entire BSC Glasgow squad. The second season he seemed to have a good budget and assembled a decent squad but led them into the doldrums at the bottom end of L2. Their fans do not rate him at that level whatsoever.

It'll likely be the case that next season his budget at Clyde (if he takes over) will be smaller than what he had to play with at Stenny. I understand that one job shouldn't define his career, but I'm not sure that the decision to bring him in will be entirely football based. I think it's very difficult to bring in a manager when you don't know what league you'll be playing in the following season and the likelihood being that it'll be the one below. I imagine Swift has been brought in because he has no qualms about spending a few months as an assistant and then managing in L2. Bringing him in now could be seen as smart because it gives him time to assess what we have currently and sound out what he thinks we need going forward.

Obviously, I could be wrong. Duffy could stay. Both could leave and we could advertise for someone else. However I don't think that's the case.

6 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Hopefully delaying news on Rennie is late fitness test and last min decision.

As for Cunningham, no loss been total waste of space for months. Imposter of a player. 

Cunningham shouldn't be kept again. You get 3 maybe 4 decent games from him a season. Apart from that like the majority of that squad is a waste of a Jersey

Thing you didn't want to know:

Since the move to 36 game seasons in 94-95, the worst cumulative points tally by the bottom two in any of the four Scottish leagues is 33; from Elgin and East Stirlingshire in 03-04. There has only be one other sub-40 season; the 34 that Brechin and Dumbarton took in 17-18; of which only 4 came from Brechin. 

Ourselves and Peterhead currently have a total of 27 points. I suppose we may as well try and make history.

By comparison, the best ever bottom two is the 81 points that ourselves and Airdrie shared in our relegation from the current Championship in 08-09. 

Still no chance of getting rid of Duffy? No? Thought not...

I hope this is at least being considered/costed out by the board but I suspect the powers that be probably see these narrow losses as Duffy 'steadying the ship' or some such nonsense. 

*Edited to add

I don't even blame Duffy for the terrible run of form continuing. I just can't believe anyone thought for a moment he was the man to potentially turn things around. I can't think of anyone less suitable for the job other than maybe Bomber Brown or that Chapman guy. 

Let Swift take over for the rest of the season ffs and, if Jim refuses to officially leave, at least ask him to sit in the stand. I'll even buy him his half time pie/Bovril if he promises to stay in his seat and stfu. 

Edited by RutherGlen

Most Clyde fans (the vocal ones anyway) seem convinced we're going to be relegated and I agree, if nothing changes in terms of management, that is the most likely scenario. However, a lot of our defeats this season have only been by a goal or two.

I honestly think that as poor as our squad may be, with the right leadership even a poor squad can grind out results - particularly at this level of the game. Do nothing and yes, relegation is almost guaranteed but getting rid of Duffy and allowing Swift a shot might be the change required to give the squad a wee lift. The relegation playoff is undoubtedly there for the taking and if we could just get a few draws and even a wee win or two in the lead up to it, I see no reason why we would fear the likes of Dumbarton or Stirling in that scenario.

Trudging over the line to the relegation playoffs by just being ever so slightly less shite than one of the worst teams ever to grace this league is not going to end well.

Edited by RutherGlen

Absolutely agree that at least trying Swift (if that’s the only alternative available) till end of the season may give some kind of lift?. It will be even more annoying if we do suffer the inevitable defeat from a terrible Peterhead side so I agree we need to find something to perhaps help us fluke 2-3 points from elsewhere.

I’m not expecting any wins now this season and it’s entirely possible that as happens in football Peterhead pick up a draw or win in last embers of the season against say a Kelly or even Montrose as they accept they are safe and begin to experiment for next season. 

All that said, and much as I’d obviously take the back door survival route,  I doubt we could win the  playoff’s as the players are: 1. very poor and 2. Not apparently interested in fighting for the “cause” (or Duffy?)  shame on them. Consequentially we actually don’t deserve to stay up sorry to say.