Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

On 18/02/2023 at 22:05, SLClyde said:

Does anyone else think that Rennie is the most obvious number 9 we have especially in that formation? Don’t see the sense in having him out wide when it seems he’s more suited to the middle and can actually hold the ball up. 

100%, ball cannoned of Doherty every time it went up to him. After a certain point Duffy moved Rennie inside for goal kicks too.

I thought Rennie was really impressive the other day and Docherty didn’t offer much of anything, and to boot Cunningham ended up way too deep. Imho, Cunningham should play as a 10 with Rennie as the 9. 

I’m not convinced Doherty is that good tbh, I’ll give him a few more games but so far not particularly impressed. Cunningham does my head in, more often than not offers very little over 90 mins, couple of flashes during a game and nothing else, also pretty cowardly in anything resembling a challenge.. McCombe number 2 I’m thinking, has ability but never shows it.

7 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I’m not convinced Doherty is that good tbh, I’ll give him a few more games but so far not particularly impressed. Cunningham does my head in, more often than not offers very little over 90 mins, couple of flashes during a game and nothing else, also pretty cowardly in anything resembling a challenge.. McCombe number 2 I’m thinking, has ability but never shows it.

Cunningham is clearly better up top rather than out wide, but we’re moving 2 people out of that position to put Doherty in there. 

Shawfield- think outside the box 

It strikes me many of Clydes  problems can be dated back to the faithful decision, many decades ago, to lose ownership of Shawfield. 

The stadium is now semi derelict and the dogs have gone. Now the current owner seems to be applying to knock it down and build houses on it. The problem though for him is both planning and environmental impact which may, or may not, mean it happens.

Clyde, even if they wanted to clearly cannot buy out the owner and return home if the owner believes he can build houses. The cost is too high. Crownpoint looks toy town to me but may be better than nothing but a return to Shawfield would be romantic and better still?

With intelligence there may yet be a way, if your board and the support were minded, to return home.

Think of Thord Lanark. Cathrin was going to be a housing estate when Thirds went down  but against the odds it’s not. The council refused permission and it remains a park to this day.

The value of Shawfield without relevant planning permission is negligible- in its current state possibly almost zero as the liability of the stands etc is a cash drain. 

If a petition was stated, supported by your board to ensure that Shawfield remained a sports field ie the council refused planning permission to build houses/ industrial what ever it just might be possible to buy the site as the value would be very low. 

Sure the terracing is dilapidated and the perimeter overgrown but I suspect the stand is still OK with modest investment and that would be big enough for now with scope to   expand as and when fortunes improve.

it’s a long shot but spike the sale with the council on the grounds it could be a community asset as a playing field, propose it’s open to the public for use and you might, just might get your home back.

Tidying  up and securing the perimeter is not big money. Own the ground and you have gone a long way to securing your future.

If you think this a decent idea petition your board ASAP for if planning is given it’s gone forever.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Cunningham is clearly better up top rather than out wide, but we’re moving 2 people out of that position to put Doherty in there. 

The problem is though, we don't have anyone beyond our starting 11 at all.

I'd love to have Cunningham sitting behind Rennie in the middle, but we don't have any wide midfielders because of some absolutely insane recruitment. Unfortunately the likes of Olly McDonald, Ewan Cameron and Liam Scullion just aren't anywhere near good enough to be close to our starting line up and only get on because there's literally no one else.

I think if you have Hynes at right back and Cuddihy in CM as opposed to Cuddihy right back and Ross Lyon holding midfield (wtf btw), that's our strongest 11. It's going to mean Cunningham being pinned back, Rennie pushed out wide and Doherty just being shown as the obvious downgrade on Jordan Allan that he is, but it's all we have.

Saturday did show that Rennie, Salkeld and Roberts might have enough between them to keep us off bottom though.

Hearing Duthie will be playing in the Glasgow Cup this week, obviously will be nothing close to match fit for proper games but when he is that'll be an option for us out wide so Rennie and/or Cunningham can go up front. I too haven't been very impressed by Doherty so far but admittedly he's got a lot to live up to after our last couple of no 9s. 

No matter how shit they were it did seem strange to let 2 left backs go and not sign one. Perhaps Paul Kennedy has an injury (noticed he was missing from squad on Saturday) meaning Craig would be our only real option there. Recalled early for cover possibly.

Edited by CM.

On 20/02/2023 at 20:51, CM. said:

No matter how shit they were it did seem strange to let 2 left backs go and not sign one. Perhaps Paul Kennedy has an injury (noticed he was missing from squad on Saturday) meaning Craig would be our only real option there. Recalled early for cover possibly.

You can't recall an outfield player from loan outwith a window and play him in your first team.

Did you not get fined and docked points for doing that previously a few years ago?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can't recall an outfield player from loan outwith a window and play him in your first team.

Did you not get fined and docked points for doing that previously a few years ago?

I was thinking about this too - I can't remember the exact circumstances but I'm sure the Fitzpatrick situation was he signed with Clyde but wasn't properly registered before going out on loan, so when he was recalled and played he was ineligible as opposed to it being outwith any windows.

Either way, feels like this situation may be dicey and I hope the club carry out due dilligence.

37 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I was thinking about this too - I can't remember the exact circumstances but I'm sure the Fitzpatrick situation was he signed with Clyde but wasn't properly registered before going out on loan, so when he was recalled and played he was ineligible as opposed to it being outwith any windows.

Either way, feels like this situation may be dicey and I hope the club carry out due dilligence.

He can't go out on loan at all if he's not properly registered. The loan wouldn't be approved. As far as I can see he was recalled from loan (or returned from it for some reason) outwith the January window and then played two games in February 19 for which you were fined and results overturned.

Either way, whatever Fitzpatrick was actually for, what I said was a fact, not a guess. You can't recall a player after 31st January and play them in your first team (except an emergency recognised goalkeeper) in the remainder of the season. More likely he's fallen out with East Stirling and will head somewhere else on loan shortly. You'd need special permission of the SPFL Management Committee to recall and play an outfield player and you won't get it without a genuine inability to field 11 players. You won't get it because you don't have another left back. Somebody last season (St Mirren I think) was allowed to recall outfield loans to non league sides to fulfill a fixture during Covid when they otherwise didn't have enough players to play but that was a pretty unique situation.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Either way, whatever Fitzpatrick was actually for, what I said was a fact, not a guess. You can't recall a player after 31st January and play them in your first team (except an emergency recognised goalkeeper) in the remainder of the season. More likely he's fallen out with East Stirling and will head somewhere else on loan shortly. You'd need special permission of the SPFL Management Committee to recall and play an outfield player and you won't get it without a genuine inability to field 11 players. You won't get it because you don't have another left back. 

Fair enough, never knew this. Like you say then more likely he'll be farmed out somewhere else. 

11 minutes ago, CM. said:

Fair enough, never knew this. Like you say then more likely he'll be farmed out somewhere else.

To row back slightly from this, what I said was a fact three years ago which is the last time I asked the SPFL for clarity on it (when we were considering recalling someone from a loan). I'm aware there's a loan extension window operating in February but certainly in past season that was only open for players to go OUT on loan at first team level, not to come back in from a cancelled one (they can come back in anytime but they can't play first team if it was outwith a window). If there's been a change of interpretation on that then I've not seen anything saying so and it definitely wasn't mentioned in the recent email confirming details of the loan extension window.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He can't go out on loan at all if he's not properly registered. The loan wouldn't be approved. As far as I can see he was recalled from loan (or returned from it for some reason) outwith the January window and then played two games in February 19 for which you were fined and results overturned.

Either way, whatever Fitzpatrick was actually for, what I said was a fact, not a guess. You can't recall a player after 31st January and play them in your first team (except an emergency recognised goalkeeper) in the remainder of the season. More likely he's fallen out with East Stirling and will head somewhere else on loan shortly. You'd need special permission of the SPFL Management Committee to recall and play an outfield player and you won't get it without a genuine inability to field 11 players. You won't get it because you don't have another left back. Somebody last season (St Mirren I think) was allowed to recall outfield loans to non league sides to fulfill a fixture during Covid when they otherwise didn't have enough players to play but that was a pretty unique situation.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Makes our league-surrendering Fitzpatrick-recall all the more laughable. 

Re: Roddens loan - do you know if he would be able to play for a third club in the pyramid this season?

6 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Makes our league-surrendering Fitzpatrick-recall all the more laughable. 

Re: Roddens loan - do you know if he would be able to play for a third club in the pyramid this season?

You can play for as many clubs as you like below SPFL League 2 level. 2 club rule only applies to full League clubs.