Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Duffy sounds like a beaten man in that interview, which to be honest is a bit ridiculous given his short stint in charge. 

He says his objective was to make us better, there’s no difference since Lennon left. 

I actually thought Duffy was quite quiet on the touch line today, he doesn’t give off the impression he’s that bothered. 

Edited by SLClyde

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

Duffy sounds like a beaten man in that interview, which to be honest is a bit ridiculous given his short stint in charge. 

He says his objective was to make us better, there’s no difference since Lennon left. 

I actually thought Duffy was quite quiet on the touch line today, he doesn’t give off the impression he’s that bothered. 

Duffy jacked it in and lost all enthusiasm whilst at Dumbarton. He then took an easy wage coaching us whilst Hopkin was in charge but didn’t bet on the fact he’d be made interim boss after about four league games. Did well initially and earned the job full time only to become the most boring and passive manager we’ve ever had. There was zero personality with him, he didn’t care in his interviews and to be honest I think a lot of Ayr fans forget he was actually our manager given his spell was so short. I can’t ever remember any particular comments he made in his time with us nor do I have any fond memories of games he managed us in. 

He’s a complete bore of a manager and simply wasted everyone’s time at Ayr. But thanks to the idiots on Scoreboard and his media pals, his name will always be touted about when jobs come up. 

Tbf to Jim Duffy, I wouldn’t be surprised if his GP told him to pack in the football after his heart attack. Certainly wouldn’t be me wasting time managing Clyde at the moment. Again, you must ask why our board felt he was the best man to take us forward?

6 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Tbf to Jim Duffy, I wouldn’t be surprised if his GP told him to pack in the football after his heart attack. Certainly wouldn’t be me wasting time managing Clyde at the moment. Again, you must ask why our board felt he was the best man to take us forward?

I suspect it was your classic case of "Better the devil you know..." - I'd much rather see us take a punt on someone with zero experience providing they had a bit of enthusiasm and perhaps some new ideas. I wish no ill will against Duffy but he obviously isn't up to the job. 

ETA - I honestly think we could have played that game today with no manager and the result would have been more or less the same. Hell, we may even have played a bit better with no manager.

Edited by RutherGlen

31 minutes ago, David W said:

I don't know if the concept of a CIC is itself bad; there are other teams that make fan ownership work. It should be scalable to our level.

Clearly we are doing it wrong. Can anyone explain what purpose our current set-up actually serves? It doesn't generate finance, and it doesn't engage the fanbase. 

My consistent opinion is that saying Sack the Board is lazy; there will be people involved with useful skills and experience. However, blatantly we lack ideas and direction. For example, we were told that we had a massive financial hole to fill due to giving Danny Lennon a budget we couldn't afford. What effort/initiatives have been put in place to fill this void? 

The Board

season 8 restraining spongebob GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

On the finance question, we hear so much from the board about how they need fans to come forward to raise money, either via events or donations etc. Why on Earth would anyone seek to make that effort and investment on such a poor product and on a board that have consistently proving they can’t be trusted to make the right call on important matters?

To use a poker analogy, all of the chips - and the car and house keys - are in the middle of the table with Crownpoint. The board themselves have admitted this but  notwithstanding the obvious risks of having no Plan B, building a stadium doesn’t just make the problems go away. In fact, it makes the need of having an effective team in place to secure investment and a plan for the vision of the club even more pivotal. Does anyone trust the board has such a vision when they have such a poor record so far?

It’s laughable when the chairman and board dispute the club is in a complete malaise. The manager doesn’t care, a lot of the players know they aren’t good enough or don’t care and the entire narrative is that we should just suck up the fact that we have a club and not have any ambitions to actually improve it. I don’t think that people in here fearing for the future if Clyde are relegated into L2 this season are exaggerating, there is a distinct stench of an East Stirling style existence here and it’s heartbreaking. My work means I haven’t actually been to a game since the last win - the Kelty game - and I feel more disconnected from the club than I ever been since I started following.

Apologies for the long read on a Saturday night, but it’s a slow death and I needed to vent 😂😂

Due to attempting (without much success) to play a bit of football myself, I've had the good luck in only having to watch us twice this season. What I will say is this, I have played a part in, and watched, games at amateur level in which a lot of the top players appear to be as good, if not better than what we currently have. I totally appreciate the "levels" to the game and whatnot, but I do genuinely feel that the best of amateur football is now akin to the McDonald/Maitland revolution, from which a lot of the best junior players were sourced. Bag Duffy, get a young coach with drive and a bit of balls in, and give a half dozen or so top amateur boys a go until the summer. Might not save us, but we might just create a pathway and links that could serve us well going forwards.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

Tbf to Jim Duffy, I wouldn’t be surprised if his GP told him to pack in the football after his heart attack. 

I think you may be right. The GP has obviously told him to avoid excitement. Watching his team play certainly ticks that box.

41 minutes ago, maccanee said:

Due to attempting (without much success) to play a bit of football myself, I've had the good luck in only having to watch us twice this season. What I will say is this, I have played a part in, and watched, games at amateur level in which a lot of the top players appear to be as good, if not better than what we currently have. I totally appreciate the "levels" to the game and whatnot, but I do genuinely feel that the best of amateur football is now akin to the McDonald/Maitland revolution, from which a lot of the best junior players were sourced. Bag Duffy, get a young coach with drive and a bit of balls in, and give a half dozen or so top amateur boys a go until the summer. Might not save us, but we might just create a pathway and links that could serve us well going forwards.

Good shout

I would give 11 top amateur players a shot til end of season

38 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

On the finance question, we hear so much from the board about how they need fans to come forward to raise money, either via events or donations etc. Why on Earth would anyone seek to make that effort and investment on such a poor product and on a board that have consistently proving they can’t be trusted to make the right call on important matters?

To use a poker analogy, all of the chips - and the car and house keys - are in the middle of the table with Crownpoint. The board themselves have admitted this but  notwithstanding the obvious risks of having no Plan B, building a stadium doesn’t just make the problems go away. In fact, it makes the need of having an effective team in place to secure investment and a plan for the vision of the club even more pivotal. Does anyone trust the board has such a vision when they have such a poor record so far?

It’s laughable when the chairman and board dispute the club is in a complete malaise. The manager doesn’t care, a lot of the players know they aren’t good enough or don’t care and the entire narrative is that we should just suck up the fact that we have a club and not have any ambitions to actually improve it. I don’t think that people in here fearing for the future if Clyde are relegated into L2 this season are exaggerating, there is a distinct stench of an East Stirling style existence here and it’s heartbreaking. My work means I haven’t actually been to a game since the last win - the Kelty game - and I feel more disconnected from the club than I ever been since I started following.

Apologies for the long read on a Saturday night, but it’s a slow death and I needed to vent 😂😂

Completely agree with all of this.  Given the budget we have, the perception that we are a completely rudderless ship and our current homeless status, it's hard not to contend that it feels like we are the next club to sink down the leagues faster than some Old Firm fans spit out SFA conspiracy theories.

I've said it before, I have a degree of sympathy for the board, given that a) it feels like no-one else will do it and b) some of the off-field stuff they've had to contend with.  But, the perception of lack of direction comes directly from them.  It's been mentioned elsewhere, but constant appeals to the fans to keep the funding flowing will only be met with a favourable response for a limited time before people get fed up having to constantly dig into the pocket to provide funding that, in reality, a commercially aware board would actually either attempt to do or at the very least try and make the club commercially promotable to businesses etc.  Sorry to say, another golf day, or similar, ain't gonna dig us out of the hole we are finding ourselves in.

If, at the end of the season, no matter where we end up, the decision is made that the return of Jim Duffy is a longer-term arrangement, then that would signal to a lot of fans that the club's only ambition is to stay in the leagues.  However, it would be folly at this moment to do anything drastic, as realistically we've no chance of staying up via anything other than the play-off route.  Any attempts to experiment radically sadly won't help.  A freshening up would help, but the concern must be that if we do have money, as the chairman alluded to, do we risk spending now.  Because if we do and we still end up relegated, are we not just risking hammering another nail in the coffin.

It's really sad the way things are panning out right now, and clearly no-one wants this situation.  But whatever happens at the end of the season, that would be the right opportunity to completely rethink the club's strategy and who is leading said strategy.  Binning, or reforming radically, the CIC would be a good start

48 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I think you may be right. The GP has obviously told him to avoid excitement. Watching his team play certainly ticks that box.

The fact he gives the impression and always has done that he doesn’t really give a toss about the job would indicate that his cardiac issue won’t be affected by managing a football team!

I decided not to renew my season ticket or“ownership” at the start of the season. Loyalty comes at a price but fans aren’t stupid. Given the current cost of living issues too, trying to justify these expenses is difficult. I genuinely think that Clyde are probably in one of the worst positions in the Scottish League, and finding investment is key. Without it, then I fear the worst. Yes it could be argued that not putting money in as a fan make the issue worse, but when you don’t believe that things will get better, then you feel that you’re money is wasted. I agree with others on here who say that there are folks on the board doing what they can, but there are even fewer willing to step in. The club is on life support just now.Looking back, I still feel that Cumbernauld was an opportunity wasted by previous boards too. 

15 hours ago, Bob731 said:

I decided not to renew my season ticket or“ownership” at the start of the season. Loyalty comes at a price but fans aren’t stupid. Given the current cost of living issues too, trying to justify these expenses is difficult. I genuinely think that Clyde are probably in one of the worst positions in the Scottish League, and finding investment is key. Without it, then I fear the worst. Yes it could be argued that not putting money in as a fan make the issue worse, but when you don’t believe that things will get better, then you feel that you’re money is wasted. I agree with others on here who say that there are folks on the board doing what they can, but there are even fewer willing to step in. The club is on life support just now.Looking back, I still feel that Cumbernauld was an opportunity wasted by previous boards too. 

Can we have a whip round and buy Bob a season ticket. Have you finished blowing up your girlfriend Bob 

Some good posts here cheers, anyone know the answer to this?

Are the Clyde board

A) a bunch of dinosaurs who have a bit of doh and are clinging on to the power of an association club purely for some sort of unfathomable kudos?

B) just punters like us, doing all the background work involved in running the club and just not making a very good job of it?

C) something other than they 2 options?

I genuinely have no idea but it feels to me like A and if that is the case it is an extremely difficult situation to come back from. 

I get that some folk just like a moan and the fact that their club is in an awful state is providing plenty to moan at but I just dont think it helps the situation and would rather hear possible scenarios or ideas that could actually make some sort of difference so thought I'd ask 👍

1 hour ago, No Jags Please said:

Just seen a very informative post on the owners forum from John Alexander that's explained alot.

Have a gander if you have access 

The post, while well intentioned, doesn’t really change anything. The chat is on looking at the past and about decisions made - staying at Broadwood for example. I do not disagree that owning our stadium to operate is the best way to get ourselves out of the problem we are in, but what do we do in the years it will take to complete this project? What happens if they don’t secure the site? My point is that the club is operating a zombie existence at the moment and there may be nothing to take to Crownpoint by the time that move happens (if it ever does, one look at Lesser, a project with far greater finance behind it, should offer a cautionary tale).

It isn’t acceptable to simply throw our hands up and say that if we don’t make it through the next few seasons it’s because of decisions made previously. Most of the current board were present for at least some of those decisions and currently, we aren’t even maximising the opportunities - commercially and otherwise - that we were told about at the start of the season from moving to NDP.

We’ve also got a current member of the board stating that he disagrees with the decision made by his now colleagues to retain Lennon’s services last season. I admire his honesty and appreciate that all individuals have different opinions, but once again it raises into question the judgment of the chairman and other board members if one of their fellow members says they made a key wrong decision which has now set us back and put us in a perilous position.

The truly scary thing is that I know ‘sack the board’ isn’t a solution to the problems and I don’t know what is. It feels almost inevitable where we’re heading now and I just hope we find a way out of it, especially on the field.

Edited by Ignoramus