Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

40 minutes ago, AuAl said:

What is Clyde's squad like? Is it underperforming or just full of shite?

When Duffy took over at Ayr after Hopkin it was initially looking better, a great wee new manager bounce for a couple games. However it soon descended into an absolute shit show that wasn't much better than what had come before it.

Admittedly, it was a very poor squad with no confidence, but you got the impression that Duffy just wasn't the man to try motivate the players into picking up the occasional result. What really wasn't helpful was that after each game he really didn't seem to care, or at least it came across that way. By the time he was sacked we had won once in 11 games and looked destined to be relegated. It wasn't even as if you could say we were trying to play football and just weren't getting results because we had inferior players - I don't know what he was trying to implement but it wasn't football.

Overall, good luck. Maybe he'll be a success, I suppose stranger things have happened.

It's not a great squad, but definitely an improvement on last year. Experienced players with a couple of younger kids that may just not be good enough.

55 minutes ago, AuAl said:

What is Clyde's squad like? Is it underperforming or just full of shite?

When Duffy took over at Ayr after Hopkin it was initially looking better, a great wee new manager bounce for a couple games. However it soon descended into an absolute shit show that wasn't much better than what had come before it.

Admittedly, it was a very poor squad with no confidence, but you got the impression that Duffy just wasn't the man to try motivate the players into picking up the occasional result. What really wasn't helpful was that after each game he really didn't seem to care, or at least it came across that way. By the time he was sacked we had won once in 11 games and looked destined to be relegated. It wasn't even as if you could say we were trying to play football and just weren't getting results because we had inferior players - I don't know what he was trying to implement but it wasn't football.

Overall, good luck. Maybe he'll be a success, I suppose stranger things have happened.

The big issue with the squad is a lack of balance. We have the likes of Neil Parry, Brian McLean, Peter Grant, Barry Cuddihy, Ray Grant, Ross Cunningham, Conner Duthie (injured since opening day of season and definitely a miss judging by his performance that day) and Jordan Allan who, IMO, can all do a job at this level but we have no half decent full backs and are powderpuff in the middle of the park and up front.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Actually, after his first 6 months he sort of was. He came in, shored up a leaky defence (by adding Brian McLean, coincidentally) and we had arguably one of the best strikeforces in the League in Gallagher and Dom Thomas. Football was decent and he stopped what looked like an inevitable slide to League 2 under Aitken. The problems came when he had to build his own team. Gallagher went to Airdrie after being offered a pittance and most others followed him elsewhere as Duffy thought they were overpaid. We ended up with exit trial lads and Rob Jones and watched probably the worst season of football I've ever watched. Nobody was particularly sad to see him go at that point but IMO we got the next appointment wrong, which is why we were relegated. We were also left with 1 player on the books which didn't help any incoming manager. I reckon he'll get you a few results, he certainly made an immediate impact with us (we humped East Fife 4-0 in his first game in charge) but whether he can keep you up is another story. Certainly makes our cup tie a bit more interesting. 

That's pish. Ferguson is a fraud who has only ever succeeded when chucking money around. Duffy actually has a clue, he's just reaching the end of his time in the modern game. 

can't see jim accepting all of recruitment team pish without question

Danny Lennon wasn't sacked for poor recruitment, he was sacked for loosing 9 games in a row. Hope this helps.

Aye, you’re right. He consistently signed great players, it’s a mystery how he managed to lose 9 games in a row with such a great squad.

21 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Duffy did an absolutely terrific job with Stevie Aitken's squad. So he might be able to get a tune out of this Clyde squad which, although not great, isn't horrific either.

This is surely relative though: the Dumbarton squad he inherited from Aitken should have been comfortably clear of relegation at worst in that league. Even if you can point to individuals in this Clyde squad who are capable of better than their current run, it's still easily one of the worst two squads in the division. It would be incredible work for any manager to make up the deficit on Kelty or Queen of the South to scramble out of the playoffs, and there's no example in Duffy's career of a turnaround that drastic.

Shitfesting his way to staying above Peterhead then through two playoff ties isn't out of the question I suppose.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Shitfesting his way to staying above Peterhead then through two playoff ties isn't out of the question I suppose.

This is exactly what we have to hope for for the rest of the season as it stands, that's some buzz. It's barely even November.

I wonder if he'll bring in anyone in the next window. Rob Jones only has 2 goals in 12 games for Finn Harps, maybe they'll be looking to loan him out in January.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

It would be incredible work for any manager to make up the deficit on Kelty or Queen of the South to scramble out of the playoffs

Personally still think FC Edinburgh will finish 3rd bottom but they are better than the other two and have made such a wonderful start that the 18 point lead they have over Clyde is pretty much insurmountable already.

Maybe it's the drink but I think we only narrowly lost at home to QoS, Montrose and Airdrie.  On another day we could have taken something from each match.

If we get any Duffy bounce, we could potentially, emerge out that shitfest of bottom 2, all the way to 3rd or even 4th bottom.  

If we do, I will gladly sign up to sponsor Duffy's shampoo for all of next season.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

This is exactly what we have to hope for for the rest of the season as it stands, that's some buzz. It's barely even November.

I wonder if he'll bring in anyone in the next window. Rob Jones only has 2 goals in 12 games for Finn Harps, maybe they'll be looking to loan him out in January.

Please tell me that’s not a serious suggestion. 

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is surely relative though: the Dumbarton squad he inherited from Aitken should have been comfortably clear of relegation at worst in that league. Even if you can point to individuals in this Clyde squad who are capable of better than their current run, it's still easily one of the worst two squads in the division. It would be incredible work for any manager to make up the deficit on Kelty or Queen of the South to scramble out of the playoffs, and there's no example in Duffy's career of a turnaround that drastic.

I don't think even the most confident of Clyde fans is expecting any better than 9th. We've been incredibly lucky the last couple of seasons that there's been 2 sides worse than us but now we're one of the worst 2 then we just need to keep above Peterhead. The 3 games against them are going to be huge. 

8 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I'm deadly serious about wanting to re-sign one of the poorest players I've ever seen in a Clyde jersey, yeah

:lol: 

Edited by CM.

23 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Maybe it's the drink but I think we only narrowly lost at home to QoS, Montrose and Airdrie.  On another day we could have taken something from each match.

If we get any Duffy bounce, we could potentially, emerge out that shitfest of bottom 2, all the way to 3rd or even 4th bottom.  

If we do, I will gladly sign up to sponsor Duffy's shampoo for all of next season.

Can only talk about the QoS match which, although we won in the end, you were on top for good spells but just couldn't add the killer touch. Our first goal that day was very much against the run of play as you were camped in our half, and if we hadn't got the penalty (no question it was a pen) I couldn't see us scoring again that day. Like us in the Championship last season it seems that it's fine margins and odd mistakes that are costing games and you end up in a downward spiral which is difficult to halt. 

1 hour ago, chas said:

Anyone go to the meeting? Anything interesting?

9 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Was going to ask this too, had to work late so couldn’t make it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Pretty bleak, to be honest.

Crownpoint the only show in town, will find out more about that process soon. No other SPFL clubs interested (but are Celtic's women's team counted as an SPFL club?). The club seem to think it might be possible to work with some of the interested parties.

Covid has actually been pretty good for the club's finances through grants/Anderson money etc, but from here there's a big gap in the finances.

Can't recall the exact details, but current squad wages etc currently at 250k p/a and this is likely to drop to 100-150k p/a. Relegation obviously a financial blow too, if it comes to that. The budget mentioned should be enough to be competitive in League Two.

Can't remember much more than that.