Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Not an inspiring appointment but then again not unexpected

Personally I would have went with someone from a lower league team who has punched above their weight looking to get into the seniors or someone totally new to management with some fresh ideas

Reality is with Lennon or Duffy we are 9th or 10th but could maybe, just a slim maybe mind you, done better with a fresh approach.

Guess the board are hoping Duffy can get us 9th and somehow be able to navigate through the play offs.

8 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Not an inspiring appointment but then again not unexpected

Personally I would have went with someone from a lower league team who has punched above their weight looking to get into the seniors or someone totally new to management with some fresh ideas

Reality is with Lennon or Duffy we are 9th or 10th but could maybe, just a slim maybe mind you, done better with a fresh approach.

Guess the board are hoping Duffy can get us 9th and somehow be able to navigate through the play offs.

It's kinda would you rather die by downing or gassing?

Personally, I'd rather live. 

Duffy might have done ok (ish) with last time but honestly WTF is he done since?  Wasn't exactly carried shoulder-high through the streets of Dumbarton was he?

Strikes me as neither injecting fear into guys nor being able to put his arm round anyone. 

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC
Typo

That negativity will fit right in then. The whole club from the top down feels like there’s an acceptance that we’re heading to the LL, that we’re outgunned financially and there’s nothing we can do. It’s not about sticking the head in the sand but I personally have been worn down and this is just the latest step.

It’s felt as if we’ve never really believed we can compete at this level and we’ve just waited for the return to L2 and then eventually beyond that. In the event that Duffy does firefight us through the playoff and keep us in L1 next season, what do we do then? Appoint him and then have to punt him early next year? Why not have the vision to go for someone off the grid and see if we can turn things around? It’s the easy decision once again and we’ll pay for it either in the short or medium term.

Edited by Ignoramus

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

While it's been two defeats, I thought Clyde probably showed enough on Saturday and presumably against Alloa to justify Moore getting a few more games. Admittedly they never looked like scoring but equally if it wasn't for the penalty I don't think Airdrie were scoring either, although that was partially due to our own issues. Duffy might do a decent job steadying things but he was hardly a roaring success in his last couple of jobs. He's possibly the one manager with an even worse recruitment record than Danny Lennon too :lol: 

Looks like Alan Moore has been shit  on from a great height..He had the team playing for him and he was unlucky in the two games he was in charge.League 2 here we come.

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Wasn't exactly carried shoulder-high through the streets of Dumbarton was he?

Actually, after his first 6 months he sort of was. He came in, shored up a leaky defence (by adding Brian McLean, coincidentally) and we had arguably one of the best strikeforces in the League in Gallagher and Dom Thomas. Football was decent and he stopped what looked like an inevitable slide to League 2 under Aitken. The problems came when he had to build his own team. Gallagher went to Airdrie after being offered a pittance and most others followed him elsewhere as Duffy thought they were overpaid. We ended up with exit trial lads and Rob Jones and watched probably the worst season of football I've ever watched. Nobody was particularly sad to see him go at that point but IMO we got the next appointment wrong, which is why we were relegated. We were also left with 1 player on the books which didn't help any incoming manager. I reckon he'll get you a few results, he certainly made an immediate impact with us (we humped East Fife 4-0 in his first game in charge) but whether he can keep you up is another story. Certainly makes our cup tie a bit more interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Don't rate Duffy at all. It's barely a step up from Ferguson.

That's pish. Ferguson is a fraud who has only ever succeeded when chucking money around. Duffy actually has a clue, he's just reaching the end of his time in the modern game. 

9 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I guess one positive is that Dumbarton never got relegated when he was there and went straight down after he left. Maybe he can get the players fighting and battling for points. Who knows, sometimes you need to look for the positives even if there aren’t many.

That is true. Albeit in the Covid season we were one goal away from being taken to extra time and potentially relegated by 10 man Edinburgh City.

Duffy did an absolutely terrific job with Stevie Aitken's squad. So he might be able to get a tune out of this Clyde squad which, although not great, isn't horrific either. Aitken's squad did include Mango Barr, Cammy Ballantyne, (a fit) Ross Forbes, Calum Gallagher and Dom Thomas mind you. 

It was that summer when he lost almost every single player that things started to go wrong. He was dreadful at being able to keep players, and he rarely signed anyone who got you excited. He liked to pay low for 'rough diamonds' but you'll know all about that from his time with you before.

The football in his second season was pretty poor to watch, but the results were fine. The football in the Covid season is the worst I've ever been subjected to. We scored 14 goals in 22 games. And three of them came in the final game of the season against Peterhead. It was absolutely brutal.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him keep you guys up. But if you keep him longer than the summer then it'll probably be a mistake.

Good luck to him! 

If this is the difference between L1 and L2 next year (and i think it might be), it’s probably the right answer.  

We had organised teams under Duffy.  Never all that exciting, but getting us into the playoffs with a team where John Sweeney was the standout shows what he can do with limited resource.  The current squad is poor, but still man for man better than anything he has worked with at CLyde before. 

10 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

I honestly can’t believe this, we’ve sacked Danny primarily for poor recruitment and employed the guy who signed some of the worst players I’ve ever seen.

Bad enough the same shite players like Lyon reappearing now the same shite managers. I’ve tried to persevere through this shit show of a season but this is the final straw.

Danny Lennon wasn't sacked for poor recruitment, he was sacked for loosing 9 games in a row. Hope this helps.

Duffy is the most experienced manager currently working in Scottish football. He knows the club, it's in a bad way and he was looking for a last hurrah. On the face of it, it's hard to fault the logic in it but then I'm not a Clyde fan who was looking for something a bit more exciting which is understandable.

Edited by Ludo*1

Honestly I don't think this is a bad appointment. He has a record of grinding out results with poor teams. Realistically he is what we need to see the season out. Financially he won't be too expensive (we wouldn't be able to afford much else), he'll grind out points which is what we need. Lets see this season out and sought to recruit a more ambitious manager in the summer. Those wanting a young manager from a lower league ask yourselves, is now the time to take that gamble? definitely not. 

Lets get behind the new manager and stop kicking him down before he's even met the players.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm now kinda glad I'm missing the Cup tie.  Scotland's Sam Allardyce facing off against its Helenio Herrera,  Enjoy.

Can you imagine what the cup tie will be like. Neither team will come out of their own half

What is Clyde's squad like? Is it underperforming or just full of shite?

When Duffy took over at Ayr after Hopkin it was initially looking better, a great wee new manager bounce for a couple games. However it soon descended into an absolute shit show that wasn't much better than what had come before it.

Admittedly, it was a very poor squad with no confidence, but you got the impression that Duffy just wasn't the man to try motivate the players into picking up the occasional result. What really wasn't helpful was that after each game he really didn't seem to care, or at least it came across that way. By the time he was sacked we had won once in 11 games and looked destined to be relegated. It wasn't even as if you could say we were trying to play football and just weren't getting results because we had inferior players - I don't know what he was trying to implement but it wasn't football.

Overall, good luck. Maybe he'll be a success, I suppose stranger things have happened.

40 minutes ago, AuAl said:

What is Clyde's squad like? Is it underperforming or just full of shite?

When Duffy took over at Ayr after Hopkin it was initially looking better, a great wee new manager bounce for a couple games. However it soon descended into an absolute shit show that wasn't much better than what had come before it.

Admittedly, it was a very poor squad with no confidence, but you got the impression that Duffy just wasn't the man to try motivate the players into picking up the occasional result. What really wasn't helpful was that after each game he really didn't seem to care, or at least it came across that way. By the time he was sacked we had won once in 11 games and looked destined to be relegated. It wasn't even as if you could say we were trying to play football and just weren't getting results because we had inferior players - I don't know what he was trying to implement but it wasn't football.

Overall, good luck. Maybe he'll be a success, I suppose stranger things have happened.

It's not a great squad, but definitely an improvement on last year. Experienced players with a couple of younger kids that may just not be good enough.