Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Meadowbank had a budgie show on the concourse one time I was there. The game was played despite this adversity.

In the old Meadowbank Thistle days we had games played up there when the stand was shut for a Beer Festival and for a Cat Show (separately). On both occasions we had to stand round the ground instead, though it did at least have raised bankings back then. However, one of them absolutely bucketed from start to finish and there was no cover.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

In the old Meadowbank Thistle days we had games played up there when the stand was shut for a Beer Festival and for a Cat Show (separately). On both occasions we had to stand round the ground instead, though it did at least have raised bankings back then. However, one of them absolutely bucketed from start to finish and there was no cover.

I don't think anybody would complain if they'd combined the beer festival.

Genuinely gutted that he had to go, but he did, correct decision.

Normally we are sacking guys who are total arses like Bomber or Chapman and are delighted they are away. 

Happy to have him back in some capacity in the future, not in coaching role or recruitment obviously, but a proper football man on the board would not be a bad thing. As I say though in the future perhaps not at the moment. 

Would rather see us go for a young up and coming manager rather than one of the usual dinosaurs that get trotted out for every job.

Maybe a manager from the lowland or even wos leagues that has had success and hungry to progress in the game.

We beat Falkirk at TFS in one of the highlights of DL's stint 3 years ago, almost to the week. Since then, I've been at every away match that the government has allowed me to go to, and I've seen us win 5 times. Two of those were against lower division sides in the SC. Even adding in the covid games, we have a total of seven league away wins since that Falkirk match. 

I think the obvious issue which everyone knows about has been recruitment. Since his first transfer window, we have barely signed a decent player. John Rankin, David Mitchell and Craig Howie for certain, maybe Neil Parry of last season. We've got good performances and quality at times from Ross Cunningham, Kristoffer Syvertsen and Aaron Splaine. Lewis Jamieson, Ewan Otoo and Scott Banks on loan, albeit with some naivety at times. One or two of this years squad maybe longer term. Regardless of budgets etc, it's just nowhere near good enough. 

We started our first season in L1 with a squad that, with the right additions, should have competed in the top half of the division but didn't bother to sign a left-back and made a big mistake with Wallace/Johnston/Smith. We started the covid season without bothering to sign a centre midfield, we basically conceded multiple goals a game to the opposition's midfield. Then we started last season with the most diabolical set of centre halves you could ever assemble at this level, a highlight in a thoroughly dislikeable squad. Even when we finally went out and brought in a competent right back in Nick McAllister we wasted him in nearly every other position. Then you throw in this year's nonsense, with abysmal full-backs and no height across the midfield/attack. 

It's some achievement to have that hitlist and yet still be popular enough that there's more than a bit of disappointment tonight. The second half of the promotion season was phenomenal as we not only won a ton of games, but also absolutely ripped teams to shreds with the sort of football you see top sides playing. We were a bit unlucky that Peterhead had a great season and just outplayed us over the 36 games. The systematic dismantling of Annan's hammer-throwers and timewasters was absolutely sensational. Three wins against Falkirk, the win at QotS, a disproportionate number of thrilling late comebacks; there were plenty of positive memories. I rarely, apart from Johnston and Jones, saw players not trying. Tactically, I think he was decent enough; plenty of good gameplans let down by poor players. He had the personality that I want from a Clyde manager.   

It would be stupid to not be planning for a return to L2 so the next appointment has to be made with that in mind. I'm pretty sure that the next manager will not be as competent as Danny Lennon was, particularly given our current situation.

Of course, the bigger issue we have is off the park. Altering the manager shouldn't deflect from that reality. Unless there are big changes, we are always going to be a L2 team in waiting; hopefully no worse. At this stage in our club's history, the likes of Alloa should probably be our peers as a minimum but we're nowhere near being able to sign the players that they are bringing in. It's frustrating and terrifying in equal measure.