Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Danny Lennon was done at the weekend; that was obvious after the second goal went in. I'm sad it's not worked out, I liked him. At the end of the day, recruitment is everything regardless of motivation skills, coaching ability, tactics etc.

I don't envy the board having to find a replacement. All but relegated by the end of October, a high likelihood of a stinking budget next season and a squad with glaring holes all over the place and no way of fixing them. There's an absolute dearth of obvious candidates in any case. We actually can probably afford to gamble on someone relatively untested on a short-term deal between now and May. The priority, however, has to be finding the right person for our return to L2. I think there's a very real worry that we could be heading near the Lowland League. 

Pretty clear that the board want DL away but they can’t afford to pay off the rest of his contract.

Would expect Moore to be in place for the rest of the season as clear that if we can’t pay off DL then we can’t pay off Moore so they have went with the option of putting Moore in charge to see if makes any difference

Given he has been integral to the car crash of this season then don’t expect any difference

On 23/10/2022 at 13:11, support the underdog said:

As a sympathetic outside be careful what you wish for. Sure nine losses on  the trot is awful and it seems 50-50 straight relegation or play off unless thinks turn round quickly.

The harsh truth is Clyde have underperformed for 50 years and without change the club is on its death throws.

The lack of real home, poor leadership, lack of resources a declining and ageing support make breaking the cycle of decline tough.

Lennon may be the lightning rod for anger but the real reasons are structural and lack of money. I would suggest you will find it hard to get a better manager than Lennon and simply dumping him will probably not turn things round especially as there is no money.

There are no quick fixes but frankly if Clyde is to survive and I think that an open question on a 10/15 year view it needs to create a culture and a reason to support the club.

Getting a sustainable home is part of that and any home needs a wider infrastructure- pubs/ cafes / atmosphere etc . Perhaps Crownpoint meets it but I doubt it.

If it was my call I would move heaven and earth to reclaim Shawfield. Sure the terracing my not meet standards but start with the main stand (big enough for most games) and expand gradually if need be.

Allied  to this is the need for new capital- an owner prepared for pump in cash. That may or may not be possible but frankly without it the current structure results in an unsustainably small base.

I hope Clyde turn it round- but unless the structure is right- reason to support/ stadium and finances sooner or later the buffers will be hit. But if you do get it right recovery could be quicker than you imagine. There is still residual goodwill support for Clyde, a lot a lot fading tradition, not being the old firm and success breeds success.  Lennon is the symptom not the cause.

Absolutely nailed it on the head and now the few regulars left on P&B left have their pound of flesh.  But let's take that at face value, the argument for responsibility, performance and results.  That's reasonable.

But let's see if the same individuals are willing to be consistent, apply the same tests in terms of checks and balances to those who have run the club for the past 15 years. The catalogue of disastrous decisions, the public commitment to leave an area without an alternative in place and therefore alienate a community, the culture of blame everything and everyone else for dire failure in the hopes it detracts from a lack of ability, the fact that the club are yet again homeless but spun somehow that this is a success with a feelgood factor, the admission that the desire to have a ground of our own may or may not provide a future to be enthusiastic about but on the balance of probability, the hunch is it might do without any vision, planning or market research presented whatsoever, and ultimately a preferred future option declared that would be generous to describe as Lowland League standard at best.

If it's about responsibility and results, that's reasonable, but at least apply it evenly otherwise you're clearly on manoeuvres.   You've been warned about this for years

5 minutes ago, David Fernández said:
26 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
Allan Johnston. It'll be as good a gig as he'll get any time soon.

Was he not a pretty decent manager in his first spell for you's? Can think of worse than than him such as Yogi, Gus MacPherson, David Hopkin and Peter Grant.

I wasn’t convinced when he was mentioned for our job in the summer. He’s excellent at the specific task of managing a full-time club with the biggest budget in a mostly part-time league but seems to struggle in a more level playing field. I’m not sure he’s what Clyde need right now but then again, I’ve got no idea who can come in and turn them around at the moment.

I wasn’t convinced when he was mentioned for our job in the summer. He’s excellent at the specific task of managing a full-time club with the biggest budget in a mostly part-time league but seems to struggle in a more level playing field. I’m not sure he’s what Clyde need right now but then again, I’ve got no idea who can come in and turn them around at the moment.
I suppose that explains it, I was more basing AJ's win % forgetting that QOS and Dunfermline were in league 1 at the time that makes a lot more sense now.

Would imagine they'd maybe take a chance on a younger manager looking to get into the game. Not sure what Scott Agnew is upto since he left Raith.

Absolutely no idea who is available or in actual fact within any budget we have any chance of even talking to? Long list of guys from sublime to ridiculous eg Peter Grant to Jack Ross to Allan Johnston to Yogie Hughes; Jim Duffy surprisingly not mentioned and all hopefully long way away from any approach.
From all accounts Allan Moore had the  management style previously of basic tactics and just go out and play, which given Danny Lennon’s over thinking approach might actually do us a turn in the very short term.

As I say I can’t think of a name that would be added to the names already mentioned; Gus MCPherson, Steven Naismith,     Kenny Miller🤯, Paul Hartley… honestly who the F**k knows? As I say sublime to ridiculous and as you can see almost all if not all, ridiculous! 
Very scary and worrying times for us long suffering Clyde fans, the rest of Scottish football who actually care must pishing themselves at the current state of affairs at this club! 
I am currently away for a short break so will miss the owners meeting, but it looks like it may be a feisty meeting to say the least?

I’d be surprised if we had any sort of budget to bring someone in until something can be done with Lennon, with Moore possibly to go as well. 

Having met Kenny Miller a wee while ago he’s definitely interested in management, but I have noticed him quite regularly doing punditry so he might’ve changed his mind on that. 

Someone looking at a first job might see it as a bit of a free hit given the current predicament. Who knows, but answers will need to come quickly. 

Is everyone jumping the gun here has he got the tin tack or not,    or is Lennon sufferring from a stress related illness which the club are doing the right thing and taking him out the firing line until he is fit to return..  (This is not speculation just another slant on the statement)

4 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Absolutely nailed it on the head and now the few regulars left on P&B left have their pound of flesh.  But let's take that at face value, the argument for responsibility, performance and results.  That's reasonable.

But let's see if the same individuals are willing to be consistent, apply the same tests in terms of checks and balances to those who have run the club for the past 15 years. The catalogue of disastrous decisions, the public commitment to leave an area without an alternative in place and therefore alienate a community, the culture of blame everything and everyone else for dire failure in the hopes it detracts from a lack of ability, the fact that the club are yet again homeless but spun somehow that this is a success with a feelgood factor, the admission that the desire to have a ground of our own may or may not provide a future to be enthusiastic about but on the balance of probability, the hunch is it might do without any vision, planning or market research presented whatsoever, and ultimately a preferred future option declared that would be generous to describe as Lowland League standard at best.

If it's about responsibility and results, that's reasonable, but at least apply it evenly otherwise you're clearly on manoeuvres.   You've been warned about this for years

Hear hear, and those who have warned have been abused, and ridiculed.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Is everyone jumping the gun here has he got the tin tack or not,    or is Lennon sufferring from a stress related illness which the club are doing the right thing and taking him out the firing line until he is fit to return..  (This is not speculation just another slant on the statement)

You may have something there…. The statement had a tone of ambiguity to it

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

I thought that initially but I think that would more likely have said that Lennon "has been granted" a leave of absence. The statement is still ambiguous though. 

Why they didn't just say he's "been relieved of first team duties" which doesn't mean he's been paid off immediately but has essentially been sacked as manager.

Club Statement as clear as mud but of no real suprise...

On the basis DL doesnt return & for the purpose of conversation...

This has got Jim Duffy written all over it in my opinion...

He got a tune out a very basic squad witt a much lower budget and made us hard to beat & remarkably got us into L2 play off....

Not my first, 2nd or 3rd choice but  we have to be realistic based on our form, our financial situation which is going to be even more strained now and lower budget next season...

Finally really is a sad end to DL time in charge If/when he departs, One of the nicest giys ive ever met in my life and thank him fot evetything he has done for our club, Nothing lasts forever indeed

Edited by shawfield shed boy

Speculatively going with an Occams Razor-type prediction of events here:

• We wanted to sack Danny, but he still has 18 months left on the deal that he very recently signed.
  • We offered him a pay up, and he refused (quite rightly imho, we were mental to have given him that deal in the first place).
  • We can't afford to pay off him or Moorey in full.
  • We can't afford to have them both on gardening leave for 18 months whilst paying the salaries of a new management team.
  • The obvious solution is to offer the appearance of change, place Danny on leave until a deal can be struck to pay him off and have Moorey step in.
  • That way we're not shelling out any more (other than probably giving Moorey a bump to take the team).

To be honest, Allan Moore is very much his own man and will have his own ideas about how he wants us to be playing. I'd imagine there will be some type of change.

What makes Clyde fans think they'll be in a position to appoint another manager with Lennon on the books? Surely if there's money there for that then binning Lennon and his team is the first thing to do. From my uneducated outside view it looks like you'll be going with Moore until such time as you can afford to punt Lennon/he finds another job.