Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

That’s the problem players are now starting that should be squad players at best. Cameron being a prime example of that. He does seem to have a eye for goal, but that is only as a sub coming on later when a game has settled. No way is he either good enough or benefit of the doubt not ready to start at this level. McDonald is 100% the same. 

If we are going to stick to the 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 type formation which is about the best fit for what we have player wise then I would go something like:

Parry
Lyon McLean sula Kennedy
Cuddihy grant gomis rodden
Cunningham
Allan

I absolutely hate having Lyon in there but if he doesn’t play then Cuddihy needs to drop back and I can’t see who plays right midfield then. Scullion had a cameo at RB yesterday but not sure if that’s a position he can fill moving forward.

Roberts is a decent player too but he really needs to be played centrally to get the best out of him.

The lack of options at full back and even left/right midfield are criminal. Cuddihy is the only one I’m happy with in those positions.

7 hours ago, David W said:

I'd probably argue that Cameron has been playing alongside Cunningham these past two games. The difference is that Cunningham likes to wander all over and if Cameron is also just dropping deep then we are quite often left with noone in the box.

I've no complaints about McLean at all but I've never seen a centre half let the ball bounce as much as Grant does. It's absolutely bizarre given his pedigree. He needs taken out of the team next week.

Surprised Grant hasn’t really done it at Clyde so far. Always thought aerially at QP, he was incredibly dominant and I never seen him misjudge bouncing balls. He’s a 28 year old who should be at the peak of his career but unfortunately has the legs of a 40 year old 

Just seems like from the outside that injuries have totally wrecked the guy and seems to be now impacting on his performances at league 1 level pretty badly. A real shame 

11 hours ago, qpfc said:

Surprised Grant hasn’t really done it at Clyde so far. Always thought aerially at QP, he was incredibly dominant and I never seen him misjudge bouncing balls. He’s a 28 year old who should be at the peak of his career but unfortunately has the legs of a 40 year old 

Just seems like from the outside that injuries have totally wrecked the guy and seems to be now impacting on his performances at league 1 level pretty badly. A real shame 

Was gutted when we let Grant go, but Coyle clearly knew he had to. Loved him at QP, but injuries have clearly caught up with him. Genuinely sad reading that Clyde fans wouldn’t evenhave him in their starting 11! 

2 hours ago, Gall09 said:

Was gutted when we let Grant go, but Coyle clearly knew he had to. Loved him at QP, but injuries have clearly caught up with him. Genuinely sad reading that Clyde fans wouldn’t evenhave him in their starting 11! 

Grant was a bit of a hero at Falkirk and not just for his cup final goal.

His chronic injury issues led to him leaving us and it was sad to see just how far backwards he has gone with his display against us on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Gall09 said:

Genuinely sad reading that Clyde fans wouldn’t evenhave him in their starting 11! 

The issue is he needs to play with someone with pace to cover his lack of legs. Playing McLean and Grant together is insane, and McLean has admittedly shown up better so far so for me Grant needs to come out.

Again, just another point highlighting Danny's recruitment madness. We had three left backs on the bench yesterday whilst starting a centre mid there. I seen the value in giving Rodden a shot coming up from his season in the LL with Shire but we needed to sign an experienced full back to conteract that, and instead signed an amateur and an 18 year old.  It's constant odd decisions and extremely laborious at this point.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

I am maybe in the minority and would rather keep Danny just now as I think we are in a situation of where we can only piss with the cock we've got. We don't have huge resources so I think any change would be a big risk in itself. I think there's decent fight and spirit in the team and we can still grind out points - we've been in rocky situations before with Danny and then managed to dig out points. That said though I totally see why people might want a change and won't argue that. Eventually that fire fighting approach will probably catch up with us. Since we've came into the league virtually every year a well backed team has replaced a skint one and eventually we might be the next one to tumble. 

I'm not going to deny its likely going to be anything but a long hard winter. We need some movement on the Crownpoint front too, at least some solid information. The lack of hope we are going to have a home of our own would hurt fan enthusiasm as much as defeats week after week could I feel. 

I'm a bit sceptical on the location of Crownpoint. I would have preferred going further east but no idea what was on the table of course, if anything.

1 hour ago, Clinically Proven said:

I am maybe in the minority and would rather keep Danny just now as I think we are in a situation of where we can only piss with the cock we've got. We don't have huge resources so I think any change would be a big risk in itself.

This is it, but a decision should have been made at the end of last season at the very latest, to a) get the new guy in the door and b) allow him to build his own squad. Basically, we could have been pissing with a different (potentially much more impressive, maybe not, but at least different) cock.

The thing is, everyone can see where we've went wrong in our recruitment. It's obvious. Danny has his reasons for signing the players that he's signed but he's consistently got it very, very wrong. I can't pretend to understand his methods. He should have left a while ago, but hasn't, so it's probably better to leave him with the squad he has right now until it can be overhauled, unfortunately. Or not? I genuinely don't know.

When you look at the players teams around us and just below us are bringing in - the likes of Salim Kouder-Aissa has went to Stranraer etc - it really makes you fear for the rest of the season if all we can muster is a third left back who won't play.

Let’s face it Danny won’t be sacked, he is probably very popular with the board as he is obviously a likeable and infectious character, I get that to some extent, unlike previous managers like Bomber, Chapman, Ferguson etc I also like Lennon and would love him to be successful and I think 95% of the support feel similar.

Obviously financial implications will be the main driving force, we simply can’t afford to pay him and Allan Moore any pay off and then try to bring in another Manager. Hence it looks like the slide will continue till the inevitable relegation as it’s really just not happening with this squad and management team. Not that we didn’t see it coming, pity the board didn’t.

Why was Danny Lennon given a two year extension in April? I've no idea

What were his successes in the last few seasons to earn him an extension? I've no idea

Is he really doing a good job maximising the resources at his disposal? No!

Financially, we simply cannot afford to sack him. It's as simple as that.

We'll just have to bear the multiple runs of defeats followed by a couple of lucky wins. That will be enough to have some singing his name again.

Being a nice guy seems to go a long way for Danny. Personally, I'd rather we had a successful b*****d of a man in charge.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Agree with the noun but definitely NOT the adjective in respect of Bazza as referred to here.

Sorry I meant Sir Alex, absolutely no way I would refer to Barry  in any way shape or form as successful manager. Apologies for confusion 

Edited by FREDDYFRY

16 hours ago, David Fernández said:

If Clyde were to part company with Lennon (which seems highly unlikely given his contract) who would you realistically go for? Would their be anyone interested in taking the Clyde job on?

Honestly, it's a really tough shout as to who I'd go for personally. If Lennon goes, you don't know who might apply, so pulling names out my arse at this point seems moot. In terms of a profile though, I'd like someone younger and ambitious, with connections. I would have taken John Rankin before he went in at Hamilton, for example. Basically a Kevin Thompson-type at that sweet spot in their career where they want to leave a relatively cushty, secure academy role to attempt to revitalise a team full of League One jobbers and no marks.

In terms of 'would we be able to get someone' - of course. People want jobs and Clyde has the potential to be a reasonably attractive proposition. We're in a better position now in terms of league standings than we were when Danny and Moorey came in. The danger is potting those two and ending up with a Peter Grant.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

21 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Honestly, it's a really tough shout as to who I'd go for personally. If Lennon goes, you don't know who might apply, so pulling names out my arse at this point seems moot. In terms of a profile though, I'd like someone younger and ambitious, with connections. I would have taken John Rankin before he went in at Hamilton, for example. Basically a Kevin Thompson-type at that sweet spot in their career where they want to leave a relatively cushty, secure academy role to attempt to revitalise a team full of League One jobbers and no marks.

In terms of 'would we be able to get someone' - of course. People want jobs and Clyde has the potential to be a reasonably attractive proposition. We're in a better position now in terms of league standings than we were when Danny and Moorey came in. The danger is potting those two and ending up with a Peter Grant.

1 too many Grant's around the squad at present I think.

A bit off the topic folks but on Saturday we visit New Douglas park.Where about are away fans going in the ground? Never been their before only seen it on the TV and away fans are normally behind the goal if I remember correct.

2 minutes ago, mo83 said:

A bit off the topic folks but on Saturday we visit New Douglas park.Where about are away fans going in the ground? Never been their before only seen it on the TV and away fans are normally behind the goal if I remember correct.

Similar set up to Broadwood - you’ll be given a section in the Main Stand.