Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Surely the best thing to do here is go back to basics seeing as we can't get that right.
4-4-2 and play simple football. Lennon keeps picking bizzar teams and playing systems we can't play with the players we have then abandoning that once the damage is done to play utter shite

Garbage today, knew it would be as soon as I saw that line up. Besides Ray Grant, Jordan Allan and Neil Parry should be the next two names on the team sheet.

We are abysmal in the full back positions and a raw 18 year old lad from Killie isn’t going to help, early to judge but he looks no better than what we have. Rodden looked ok when he came on and could be worth giving a run in there or playing in front of Kennedy as a left midfielder.

Ross Lyon, Ewan Cameron, Kurtis Roberts, Peter grant and the keeper were all poor to dreadful.

We do have some good players but with the other personnel around them they don’t stand a chance at the moment.

The fact that per player, this team is better than last years in most areas, yet are in this position,,,again, says more about tactics and line ups than anything else. With regular defeats, comes declining confidence… fresh ideas or management required definitely. 

Firstly, I think there should be an acceptance that unless something changes dramatically off the pitch, then we're always going to be scrabbling in the bottom three in this league and ultimately will go down.

That said, if we Ignore recruitment (that's not downplaying it's importance - it's unfathomable that we've put together a team with almost no physical presence middle-to-front), this is the first time since the first couple of months in the promotion season that I feel that Danny is not getting the best out of the players that he does have. 

Today in itself doesn't define our season; this Falkirk side are clearly better than the ones they've previously had. But messing about with a back three in the winnable games against the likes of Edinburgh/Alloa, resorting back to it after a reasonably positive first half against Airdrie, then this current crazy midfield tactic where we have a central midfielder on the left and a (rubbish) full-back on the right of midfield. It's something that a top team can pull off, not a part-time L1 side.

The longer Lennon stays in post from that Clydebank disaster last year, the more and more his reputation as Clyde manager is being tarnished. Gained us promotion but that was years ago. What has he done to better that or f**k sake even match that? Being in a relegation scrap every season is not worthy of remaining in a job IMO. 

5 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

The longer Lennon stays in post from that Clydebank disaster last year, the more and more his reputation as Clyde manager is being tarnished. Gained us promotion but that was years ago. What has he done to better that or f**k sake even match that? Being in a relegation scrap every season is not worthy of remaining in a job IMO. 

Last season he had the opportunity for a fresh start after all the COVID disruption, and made some woeful signings, and we scraped by. Of course budget size determines a lot of it, but so do his tactics. I still say there is a better team there compared to last season, and Danny is a thoroughly decent guy who has given us some brilliant memories. I just feel that a fresh pair of eyes should be considered if nothing changes. I got slagged off a bit here earlier suggesting that we wouldn’t surpass the nine wins we got out of 36 games last year..Presently, it looks like we’ll be luck to get 9. Which in turn affects attendances

When Danny extended his contract he said "I am excited to build on our journey of forward momentum together in my five seasons here, moving from bottom of the fourth tier to mid-table in the third tier."

My questions are what forward momentum? And where is the progress during the last 3 seasons in League One?

If Danny Lennon wins a few matches in a row he gets a two year contract extension.

Isn't that the way it works at Clyde football club?

4 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

When Danny extended his contract he said "I am excited to build on our journey of forward momentum together in my five seasons here, moving from bottom of the fourth tier to mid-table in the third tier."

My questions are what forward momentum? And where is the progress during the last 3 seasons in League One?

If Danny Lennon wins a few matches in a row he gets a two year contract extension.

Isn't that the way it works at Clyde football club?

To be fair, after the Clydebank game, I think the we lost one out of the next 8 I think, but this season is already starting to mirror last year results wise. 

To be fair, after the Clydebank game, I think the we lost one out of the next 8 I think, but this season is already starting to mirror last year results wise. 
I'd counter by pointing out we went on a run of 1 win in 13 (thirteen) matches later in the season.

Thank f**k we started the season well otherwise we'd be cut adrift already. I've not been to a game since Alloa at home but it seems to be the same old story. The goals we concede are more often than not utter gifts, a recurring theme pretty much since we got promoted. 

Brian McLean and Peter Grant should be a solid centre half pairing for this level regardless of their lack of pace. One was a regular in the Championship last season and the other got promotion out this league. I feel the transition from full time to part time is taking its toll on them. That and being horribly exposed by poor full backs. The fact our best left back is a centre mid and our best right back is a former centre mid says it all about recruitment in they areas. Maybe the new LB will be a bit better but with one single appearance for Stenhousemuir in the Challenge Cup last season I don't hold out too much hope. Cuddihy had a good game on the right of a midfield 4 at QOS and I don't think he's played there since and now finds himself back at RB due to our lack of options there. 

We looked a lot more dangerous with an Allan or McDonald up alongside Cunningham. Cunningham up on his own just nullifies both him and the team completely. We're badly missing Conner Duthie aswell. Let's hope he's back soon. 

I'd probably argue that Cameron has been playing alongside Cunningham these past two games. The difference is that Cunningham likes to wander all over and if Cameron is also just dropping deep then we are quite often left with noone in the box.

I've no complaints about McLean at all but I've never seen a centre half let the ball bounce as much as Grant does. It's absolutely bizarre given his pedigree. He needs taken out of the team next week.

6 minutes ago, CM. said:

Brian McLean and Peter Grant should be a solid centre half pairing for this level regardless of their lack of pace.

We're badly missing Conner Duthie aswell. Let's hope he's back soon. 

The issue is that if McLean or Grant were playing alongside someone with pace to cover there lack of then I don’t think would be a problem.  The fact that they are playing together means their lack of pace is a big problem 

Take yesterdays game as example

In first half their was a foot race over 20 yards between Falkirks CF and Grant where Grant had a 5 yard start.  He was caught up at the end of it.  Grant has always been slow and McLean was a good player 10 years ago but as with everyone age catches up on you

Also completely forgot about Duthie and agree he is a miss as gave some physical presence up front but the statement from the club when was out injured at the time didn’t give any optimism he was returning anytime soon

That’s the problem players are now starting that should be squad players at best. Cameron being a prime example of that. He does seem to have a eye for goal, but that is only as a sub coming on later when a game has settled. No way is he either good enough or benefit of the doubt not ready to start at this level. McDonald is 100% the same.