Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

Clyde have got enough problems, but what was that strip all about, one of the worst I have seen in a while, last seasons  Clyde away was absolute clas s the red and black Rob Roy esque hoops....     

It went to a fan vote as one of these 4 options and the majority still managed to pick the worst of the 4.

202223_away_kit.jpg

9 goals conceded in 2 games and dropped from second place to 3rd bottom in a few weeks might suggest there’s a bit more to be concerned about than the strip. Tactics dreadful for the second half yesterday. Players look demoralised, and who wouldn’t playing a system which clearly does not work.

Falkirk, then Montrose next up in the league and if we retain these tactics we’ll take no points.
We are only in mid September and already closely checking who those below us are playing each week……. how long before we can only look above us to check?

Could not care less about the kit and I understand the comments were in defence of criticism from an Airdrie fan, but the lack of debate on here as to what’s happening on the pitch is as worrying as the problem itself.

Are we all so absorbed and consumed by the move? If so, no-one seems too interested that the main Board director who was the lead on the relocation group has resigned and left the Club and our former interim Financial Director has now assumed the Chair of the Club Foundation which is the entity bidding for Crown Point. Nothing to see here obviously?

More players in? Is there the budget? Do we have faith in who is having final say on players?
Tactics? Playing a back 3 with poor wing backs who are integral to the success of that formation is madness. 
A long, very long season ahead if something does not change quickly and in the short term that has to be a back 4 with protection in front. The back door has got to be closed and fast before we hit the bottom of the league.

But never mind eh…. we’ll be back in Glasgow but competing at what level?

Edited by Malcontent

1 hour ago, Bob731 said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9477804/open-goal-broomhill-talking-on-pitch/

Article about Broomhill at Broadwood…1500 at recent home Cup game…personally of all this talk about moving etc, Cumbernauld was definitely a missed opportunity. 

If Open Goal sustain fans it won't be because of embracing the local community, it'll be the Lawwell families money bankrolling success. Their current strategy is playing to bored old firm fans on a friday night wanting to hear bits n pieces when they score and get a laugh at Si and Slaney, seeing z list local celebs like ravie davie shilling them on tiktok. Between them though, B teams, womens teams, all the other tinpot mobs down the pecking order competing for the Old Firm wee team coin, its a pretty saturated market to try and sustain, especially once the novelty wears off - thats why they need instant success. The other price of success is the closer you get to playing the bigger teams and you become more expensive to watch, its harder to sustain being nothing more than a vanity act and folk will drift back to their real teams. Clyde were a legitimate football team with a history and identity coming to Cumbernauld, unlike Open Goal who are a vehicle for a podcast which is essentially based on being super scoreboard for weans. 

45 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

If Open Goal sustain fans it won't be because of embracing the local community, it'll be the Lawwell families money bankrolling success. Their current strategy is playing to bored old firm fans on a friday night wanting to hear bits n pieces when they score and get a laugh at Si and Slaney, seeing z list local celebs like ravie davie shilling them on tiktok. Between them though, B teams, womens teams, all the other tinpot mobs down the pecking order competing for the Old Firm wee team coin, its a pretty saturated market to try and sustain, especially once the novelty wears off - thats why they need instant success. The other price of success is the closer you get to playing the bigger teams and you become more expensive to watch, its harder to sustain being nothing more than a vanity act and folk will drift back to their real teams. Clyde were a legitimate football team with a history and identity coming to Cumbernauld, unlike Open Goal who are a vehicle for a podcast which is essentially based on being super scoreboard for weans. 

A good reply Benidorm appreciated…And based on what you said about Clyde having a history etc then for me it highlights a wasted opportunity even more. It was a chance to make history. Hopefully the ongoing discussions around Crownpoint become a real solid option…otherwise, how long can the club survive without a solid base ?

5 hours ago, Bob731 said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9477804/open-goal-broomhill-talking-on-pitch/

Article about Broomhill at Broadwood…1500 at recent home Cup game…personally of all this talk about moving etc, Cumbernauld was definitely a missed opportunity. 

Remember I said a couple of months ago that Broomhill had sold over 1k season tickets for the season and they would get bigger crowds than we ever did

I was slaughtered for that comment and told than they would be lucky to get over 100 at games

A crowd of over 1500 against Brora Rangers is all the evidence you need that the fan base was in Cumbernauld if correctly harnessed

Broomhill have a good PR machine behind them plus they have been very clever in putting homes games on Friday nights to capture supporters who might go and see the old firm on a Saturday and Sunday

I fully expect them to have crowds of over 3k in the next few seasons (something that was a pipe dream for us)

I understand the points you’re both making but I’m not sure you can say that Broomhill’s crowds are down to much other than the ‘Old Firm da’ types going along because they like Simon Ferry and Paul Slane - in much the same way the Old Firm B teams get a handful of fans through. Absolutely fair enough but not exactly concrete evidence of Clyde missing out on a gold mine of Cumbernauld-based supporters. Particularly when you add in the Friday night, Scottish Cup tie novelty of the occasion.

As a Cumbernauld-based Clyde supporter, I don’t doubt that the club could have done more but when I was at school, they had community coaches going round the local Primary schools taking sessions with classes. I remember the coach giving everyone in my class a free ticket for a game against Hamilton in 2006. This was after the Celtic victory so the local level of zeal about Clyde was probably as high as it ever got during my younger days (and even then, most of that was from Rangers fans winding up their Celtic supporting mates). The only people who went to that game were me and my pal who were already going to games by that point anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for us to attract 1500 to a game but Cumbernauld had several opportunities to buy into Clyde and vice versa. I’m fairly certain that if you removed the Open Goal element to Broomhill they’d still be playing to double digit crowds. Likewise, when Ferry eventually moves on to another team, I’m sure the attendances would drop off again too.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know the average Broomhill gate for their league fixtures?

4 hours ago, Benidorm said:

Not to mention  that tit Ferry bullying his team at HT by shouting and swearing. 2022 mate. What a fud. 

7 hours ago, Malcontent said:

9 goals conceded in 2 games and dropped from second place to 3rd bottom in a few weeks might suggest there’s a bit more to be concerned about than the strip. Tactics dreadful for the second half yesterday. Players look demoralised, and who wouldn’t playing a system which clearly does not work.

Falkirk, then Montrose next up in the league and if we retain these tactics we’ll take no points.
We are only in mid September and already closely checking who those below us are playing each week……. how long before we can only look above us to check?

Could not care less about the kit and I understand the comments were in defence of criticism from an Airdrie fan, but the lack of debate on here as to what’s happening on the pitch is as worrying as the problem itself.

Are we all so absorbed and consumed by the move? If so, no-one seems too interested that the main Board director who was the lead on the relocation group has resigned and left the Club and our former interim Financial Director has now assumed the Chair of the Club Foundation which is the entity bidding for Crown Point. Nothing to see here obviously?

More players in? Is there the budget? Do we have faith in who is having final say on players?
Tactics? Playing a back 3 with poor wing backs who are integral to the success of that formation is madness. 
A long, very long season ahead if something does not change quickly and in the short term that has to be a back 4 with protection in front. The back door has got to be closed and fast before we hit the bottom of the league.

But never mind eh…. we’ll be back in Glasgow but competing at what level?

The move away from Broadwood was an emotional one,  based on the preference of some of the board but championed principally by our former interm FD.  DGW was just an excuse in my opinion.

Due to OUR awkwardness we picked fights in almost every area and took no responsibly for any failure. This meant we were playing 2nd fiddle to the Colts, which in turn, further outraged the board.  

We can't expect any community or commercial buy in from Hamilton because the Accies are already there.  We can't expect C or C support in Cumbernauld because we're not there and can't build bridges in The Gallowgate because we're not there either. 

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC
Prudish spellcheck

16 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I understand the points you’re both making but I’m not sure you can say that Broomhill’s crowds are down to much other than the ‘Old Firm da’ types going along because they like Simon Ferry and Paul Slane - in much the same way the Old Firm B teams get a handful of fans through. Absolutely fair enough but not exactly concrete evidence of Clyde missing out on a gold mine of Cumbernauld-based supporters. Particularly when you add in the Friday night, Scottish Cup tie novelty of the occasion.

As a Cumbernauld-based Clyde supporter, I don’t doubt that the club could have done more but when I was at school, they had community coaches going round the local Primary schools taking sessions with classes. I remember the coach giving everyone in my class a free ticket for a game against Hamilton in 2006. This was after the Celtic victory so the local level of zeal about Clyde was probably as high as it ever got during my younger days (and even then, most of that was from Rangers fans winding up their Celtic supporting mates). The only people who went to that game were me and my pal who were already going to games by that point anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for us to attract 1500 to a game but Cumbernauld had several opportunities to buy into Clyde and vice versa. I’m fairly certain that if you removed the Open Goal element to Broomhill they’d still be playing to double digit crowds. Likewise, when Ferry eventually moves on to another team, I’m sure the attendances would drop off again too.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know the average Broomhill gate for their league fixtures?

Most of the early gates have been shite. Think they peaked at 560 for the first game. 

People like bandwagons though, so these crowds might sustain for a wee while, especially if the team is winning and they're playing friday nights consistently after this. Their youtube views at the weekend are blowing those of most Scottish lower league games out of the water, plus because of their socials they've coined in some decent sponsors like slaters, bucks bar etc on top of the Lawwell cash.  The sad thing is apart from rare huge games Clyde could never get 1500 fans along to Broadwood even when they were top of the first division.

I won't buy though that they are invested in Cumbernauld. For all the shit Clyde got about never embracing the town in their name, this mob are still cutting about with Broomhill in the title. I also won't buy that this has any long term sustainability without a fanbase or a stadium or funding reliant on a certain guy being the manager - what if Hamilton Accies or Queen of the South etc come calling and want to give Ferry a full-time gig three leagues higher, also knowing he will bring media attention and financial backing, hes going to turn it down? Its a vanity project. The captive market as you said that Open Goal are playing to are not the same people who became Clyde fans in Cumbernauld. They might well get into the SPFL as who is stopping them really? Will these people pay double if they go up to league 2 to watch Stranraer or Elgin if they aren't pishing it? Will they go along in the freezing cold to Broadwood in the dead of winter? Have my doubts tbh.

Doesnt really matter who it is that is turning up.  The key is that they are turning up. 

The whole idea is to get people turning up and then they might bring a kid or a friend and then start to attend on a more regular basis.

Just pointing out that Broomhill have been able to get a bigger home crowd to any game we ever did in 25+ years within the first 2 or 3 months.  (excluding play off games or games v Celtic or Rangers).

Here the dream begins..................not really, it never did begin !!!!!!!

Doesnt really matter who it is that is turning up.  The key is that they are turning up. 
The whole idea is to get people turning up and then they might bring a kid or a friend and then start to attend on a more regular basis.
Just pointing out that Broomhill have been able to get a bigger home crowd to any game we ever did in 25+ years within the first 2 or 3 months.  (excluding play off games or games v Celtic or Rangers).

We'll find out within 5 years how Broomhill is doing.

Personally, I doubt they'll exist at any serious level.

46 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

We'll find out within 5 years how Broomhill is doing.

Personally, I doubt they'll exist at any serious level.

The landscape is changing massively. I honestly think we’ll see a huge change in the number of “established” names being replaced by other teams in the pyramid. Not one team has come back up yet after getting relegated from League 2. There are plenty down there with the resources to keep coming up. 

The lack of any quality at all in the full back positions is killing us imo. Need to get Cuddihy fit and playing RB, not sure how we fix the LB issue, Kennedy has looked about the best bet but again fitness issues.
A back 4 of Cuddihy sula McLean Kennedy is about the best we can offer. Not at all impressed with Peter Grant or Thicot at this stage and probably would go as far as saying they are money that could be better spent elsewhere, given they are likely 2 of the highest earners.

As for Broomhill, they are a tacky novelty act based on chronic patter and whoring themselves to armchair old firm fans. It’s embarrassing seeing unsustainable, financially doped pish like that challenging for promotion to the SPFL proper while promotion from below is throttled to slow the progress of genuine big teams from the WoS in particular.
The lowland league is an absolute shit show and the sooner b-teams, uni teams and glorified boys clubs are flushed out of it the better.

14 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Are you seriously saying we never had more than 1500 at a game other than vs Rangers, Celtic or the Annan playoff game?! 😂😂😂😂 take it you only started supporting us in 2010 then?!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse