Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Saw Bryso's announcement on Twitter.  Encapsulates everything that makes a Clyde legend.  Never hid, never gave in, a technically gifted player and as mentioned deserved more Scotland caps than he got.  Hopefully he goes into coaching to help on the next generation, but whatever he does hope it works out for him.

My brother has informed me that with Bryson’s retirement, Peter Cherrie is the last of the Celtic game XI still playing. I still remember him making a phenomenal save against Hibs in a friendly.

ETA: From both teams, only Cherrie, McGeady and Nakamura are still playing. Nakamura still turning out for Yokahoma FC at the age of 44. Fair play tbf, Shunsuke.

Edited by Scott-Replay

2 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

My brother has informed me that with Bryson’s retirement, Peter Cherrie is the last of the Celtic game XI still playing. I still remember him making a phenomenal save against Hibs in a friendly.

ETA: From both teams, only Cherrie, McGeady and Nakamura are still playing. Nakamura still turning out for Yokahoma FC at the age of 44. Fair play tbf, Shunsuke.

I think it’s time to press the panic button

6 games in and 7 points picked up this season, and the most frustrating thing is it should be on at least 12 points. Going to give a quick review of where we are so far ( all in my opinion of course) 

The Bad:

We look able to beat any team on our day and at times it feels like every time we go forward we can score, but we are very wasteful at and combine that with flinging goals in the other end we will continue to lose and draw games we should be winning. We should have been out of sight at half time on Saturday there and Allan should have been going in at half time with at least a hat trick in my opinion. 

We consistently lose the same goals this season. Individual errors combined with a slow back 3 means teams get in behind us far too easily and as soon you put the CB on the turn or on their heels teams get chances. The most frustrating part of watching us this season is the absolute school boy mistakes from long balls up the park and not picking up runners, absolutely unforgivable considering the back 3 are all  about 6’3 with years and years of experience. Just  not good enough. 

The Good: 

This is easily the best team Clyde have assembled since we got promoted, shows the difference that investing in the team all over the park and not in 1 or 2 individuals can make.

Although we have been wasteful, at least we are creating these chances consistently instead of punting and hoping Goodwillie can bail us out. Scoring won’t be an issue this season. 

Although we have been chucking in amateurish goals, the fact these are individual errors are a good thing because at least you don’t need to work that hard on fixing them and could be a symptom of a backbone learning to play together. If we ditch the back 3 and go for a 4  I reckon we can become a lot more solid. Easy fixes ( in theory). 

We are only a couple of pieces away from being a really good team and a bit of a surprise package I feel. 

The Lennon: 

Last season Danny was 1 half away from losing his job and I feel like he knew it, there was a point where his job looked untenable especially after the Clydebank game. We very much found ourself in a position where only Danny could have got us into it and yet he was the only person who could have got a tune out those players and keep us up it was very strange. Ultimately he earned the right to have this season. 

Recruitment has been better than the last 2/3 season definitely but there are still a couple of classic Danny signings where folk are there to fill out the squad and obviously aren’t good enough but he sees something in them. 

Our biggest issue this year is the now trademark Danny Lennon inability to find full back that can play at this level,at this stage I’m not even looking for good top drawer full backs just bang average ones, yet we can’t find them. Was disappointing this season to find us again playing players out of position in these areas of the park. These have been a problem position for close to 5 years now and it doesn’t really make sense why Danny can’t fill these roles effectively. 

Conclusion: 

Pleasantly surprised with how good we look this year, we find ourselves in a position where the ball is in our court to get a good mid table finish this year/ stay well clear of relegation nonsense. Danny has done a great job this year and we are an exciting watch. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

It's glaringly obvious that we need a centre forward who can hold the ball up and get us up the park. All our strikers are lightweight wee guys and sometimes that just wont work when playing against seasoned pros who can read them like a book, especially when none of those strikers are necessarily prolific.

So many times at goal kicks Danny was shouting to Parry to 'Play!' - trying to play out from the back with three non-footballing centre halves when 3-1 down is an absolutely wild call, but we had no one to hit when going long other than the wing backs pushing high.

Agree with both recent posts above, the inability to sign even a basic competent fullback is baffling..

Essentially wasted wages on Lyon, Rudden and on evidence of last week Thicot. I think Nymasi is amateur, hopefully!

Other issue is we don’t defend well as a team and part of that is the lack of a solid proper midfield player which allow Ray Grant to do what is is good at ie protect back line and not have to try to be creative as well, because he can’t. We also need much more from Roberts.

Up front  we definitely need more presence and a way of getting Cunningham directly up front and not deep at all, again he is totally anonymous on the pitch if he is played anywhere else. 

Carry on with current set up and in particular the fullback situation we will be a relegation battle, whether folk want to admit it or not!

Edited by FREDDYFRY

Not going to be easy to unite the support given comments like these. “Scum” is a very strong and derogatory word to use to describe probably the largest group by number of the support. Also, given their constant efforts to provide funds for the improvement of the squad- I think an apology would be appropriate.

Not going to be easy to unite the support given comments like these. “Scum” is a very strong and derogatory word to use to describe probably the largest group by number of the support. Also, given their constant efforts to provide funds for the improvement of the squad- I think an apology would be appropriate.
I'm not aware of disunity amongst the support.

Sometimes I agree with other Clyde fans and at other times I disagree but I still feel as one with our support.

31 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Sometimes I agree with other Clyde fans and at other times I disagree but I still feel as one with our support.

There’s been disunity for about the last 15 years at least. 

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

You’d better let the Chairman know as he’s made it his mission to unify the support

I think it’s a good move by the Chairman.. Yes, there may be some more “colourful” characters among the branch, but they have put together some great initiatives and rallied others to do so. Much better to acknowledge that unlike previously.