Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

20 hours ago, Bob731 said:

Good luck to all of you who are going to continue watching Clyde this season. I’m taking a step back for the foseeable. The thought of winning less than the 9 league games we won last season doesn’t do it for me. I don’t enjoy that at all. Fingers crossed that things improve and would gladly be proved wrong 🙏🙏🙏

Good luck to all of you who are going to continue watching Clyde this season. I’m taking a step forward for the foseeable. The thought of winning 36 league games absolutely does it for me. I love that. Fingers crossed that things improve and we win the Scottish Cup too 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻.

Night and day to Tuesday. Pace and energy makes a difference and was really impressed with Scullion, McDonald and Kennedy. Thought Hendji looked good aswell.
Cuddihy definitely better playing in the middle.

Today defo has to show its either R.Grant or Gomis in the team not both.

Encouraging today hopefully keep it going next week.

That's a decent result for Clyde today to be fair, although not sure what sort of a side Morton put on the field.

Maybe all the predictions of doom and gloom for this season might be wide of the mark?

Just now, Otis Blue said:

That's a decent result for Clyde today to be fair, although not sure what sort of a side Morton put on the field.

Maybe all the predictions of doom and gloom for this season might be wide of the mark?

Disturbingly close to full strength apart from up front. Which, to be fair, is a big part to be missing but nae excuse for losing 2-0

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Disturbingly close to full strength apart from up front. Which, to be fair, is a big part to be missing but nae excuse for losing 2-0

Oh dear.  Maybe we'll be renewing our (we win up there and you win down here) acquaintance again next season ... 🤔

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I mind we pumped Hibs 3-0 in a friendly containing Brown, Whittaker, Fletcher, that whole good Hibs team. We got relegated that season and finished bottom three years on the trot, becoming the only team to do so until Brechin a few years ago. As happy as I am tonight with that performance there’s no way anyone can draw conclusions from it.

I’m not one for crowd wanking or that, but what happened at Morton? They always brought good support with them. I know it’s effectively a friendly but you’d be lucky if there was 80 behind the goal. 

Highlight of the day though: “f**k up ya Greenock soap dodging tramps”

”Mon then” 

Not been many games post-lockdown that have been enjoyable but that was one of them. Lots of energy and some decent football. The lads that came into the team will (rightly) be highlighted but I thought McLean strolled through the game and kept everything organised. I think we need to stick with two up front given the players we have at our disposal.

Morton were absolutely dreadful.  Lucky it only ended up 2-0 in all honesty.

Thought that was an excellent performance today, we might have tired a little in spells in the second half, but the quadruple sub helped re-energise us a little bit.  I just hope that display today dispels a bit of the negativity going about at the moment.

Both McLean and Grant strolled it today, albeit that was a pretty ineffectual Morton frontline.  For me MoM was McDonald, who impressed me a lot when he  came on against Bonnyrigg on Wednesday and linked up really well with Jordan Allan.  His goal was really well taken and his overall movement caused problems.  He tired a little late on, but to be expected given the amount of running he did for us. Credit also to Hendji who, although occasionally had some positional lapses, looked solid and good at left back.

I don't buy into those who say this team don't need time to gel.  Of course they do.  It's pretty much half a side brought in, and when you look at a lot of other sides in our division, no-one is anywhere near settled to make any judgements yet.  Wait until the league starts in earnest before passing any real judgements, and there's always the possibility a new signing or two come in before then.

A thoroughly enjoyable game today and I’m delighted that some of what I called our second string proved me wrong. In the end, I genuinely was delighted to have spent £12 watching that. Given our previous two results I was pleasantly surprised by my first viewing of the team.

No failures today. Parry was underworked but he was commanding of his area and made a great save from a one-on-one in the first half. McLean and Grant won everything and strolled through the game against a completely ineffectual front line. What a difference it was having two centre halves who won their aerial duels. Lyon was fine and carried the ball forward well. Hendji was fine too, a bit raw with a few slightly dodgy moments but dependable in the main. I haven’t seen Rodden yet to pass judgement but there’s maybe something to work with there. 

Barry Cuddihy was as dependable as ever back in midfield and his mobility is always a benefit in there. Liam Scullion coped well with the physical element of the game and again, there looks to be a player in there. Paul Kennedy did well on the left of midfield and, I felt, put in a good shift defensively which helped Hendji. I could be wrong but it looked to me as though he has bulked up since last season which will only benefit him. A couple of decent corner kick deliveries from him too. Cameron was probably the one of the new introductions who struggled the most but even then he worked very hard for the team and wasn’t shy to go into a tackle, which is always a good way to endear yourself to the Clyde faithful.

McDonald looks quite an exciting player, to be honest. He’s pacey, has a nice touch, looks confident and was very direct. Took his goal nicely too (although, Morton’s goalkeeper will have felt he could have done better). I don’t know whether he’ll look that good when the serious stuff starts but an enjoyable performance today. Jordan Allan had a good game upfront too. Harried the Morton centre backs well, assisted the first goal and created a few chances with some nice footwork. Whilst you’d always expect your striker to score a penalty, I actually felt it wasn’t the worst penalty. If the keeper went the other way, it would have been right in the corner. Hopefully, a goal for Jordan soon will give him confidence for the campaign ahead.

All of our substitutes benefited us today. Duthie won the penalty, after a nice exchange with Roberts, and Cunningham scored it. I really like Ross Cunningham so it has been nice to see him get a couple of goals already. Grant, Roberts and Gomis all added some legs into the midfield again at a time when we really needed it. 

Without taking anything away from us, how rotten were Morton? A Falkirk-esque type performance and I’ve never seen a full-time outfit fail to pass or control a ball so consistently. A few decent players in that team that we’ve encountered before but they were dreadful. Extremely passive too. Even during our leggy spell during the second half, they created very little and I never felt in any danger (which is an extremely unusual feeling as a Clyde fan). Their centre halves were absolute plodders too.

All in all, a much needed win and a good performance. As mentioned above, the match day experience was comfortably better than at Broadwood too. A pleasing day all round!

5 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Well that’s a bit more encouraging, got to start somewhere so the players will take a  wee bit of confidence in after that. Still fair bit to go and a couple of key signings (can’t see that right enough) but still glimmer of green shoots today. 

I'm confident we'll be ok