Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I think Steve Thicot will do great with us. Watching the video he put on his instagram he looks to have quite a bit of pace about him and loves to drive forward with the ball similar to what Rudiger done for Chelsea. I’d say out the 3 McLean is the weakest but after Danny said he built the team around him after he signed it makes me think he will be a regular. I think a back 5 will be what he goes for.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cf6QlskLrfJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Id go for:

bdf5572c04d034a64905ff563ae7891a.jpg

Edited by Jack Phillips

I presume he’s injured, but do we know what’s up and whether he could maybe start one of these League Cup games? The lack of website updates annoy me still - we can hardly say we’re wanting to keep news from the opposition when we’re starting our backup keeper anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I presume he’s injured, but do we know what’s up and whether he could maybe start one of these League Cup games? The lack of website updates annoy me still - we can hardly say we’re wanting to keep news from the opposition when we’re starting our backup keeper anyway.

Both Thicot and another from the pre season games are awaiting work permits 

54 minutes ago, Jack Phillips said:

I think a back 5 will be what he goes for.

If we go for a back 5, we'll have to bring in at least another 2 centre halfs for cover. Cassidy will be the only one on the bench and I can't see a 37 year old Brian McLean, a 35 year old Steven Thicot and Peter Grant (who has only played about 40 games in 5 seasons due to injury) all playing 90 mins every single game of the season.

I also think Cuddihy's days as a centre midfielder are done with. It's fairly well known that he was at Hamilton as a right back and the late availability of Mikey Doyle meant that he didn't make the grade. As much as they don't work together, Danny will play Grant and Gomis at centre mid.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

34 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

If we go for a back 5, we'll have to bring in at least another 2 centre halfs for cover. Cassidy will be the only one on the bench and I can't see a 37 year old Brian McLean, a 35 year old Steven Thicot and Peter Grant (who has only played about 40 games in 5 seasons due to injury) all playing 90 mins every single game of the season.

I also think Cuddihy's days as a centre midfielder are done with. It's fairly well known that he was at Hamilton as a right back and the late availability of Mikey Doyle meant that he didn't make the grade. As much as they don't work together, Danny will play Grant and Gomis at centre mid.

Just throwing the idea of a back Five into the mix, as someone mentioned earlier grant and mclean are very slow. If it were to be a back 4 it would need to be Thicot and either of them. Agreed that Cuddihy's best position is right back but he's faster than both gomis and grant so it would give the midfield a bit more pace if we played a back 5. Like you've put in your example kurtis roberts would be that player with pace in the midfield if it were a back 4.

Time will tell, no idea what kind of budget it left but it can't be too much would only expect maybe 1 or 2 players to come in but we still have the loan market as well so hopefully some clubs in the prem and do us a turn.

Edited by Jack Phillips

1 hour ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Thicot is waiting for his visa to be approved 

Think this was on the website???

Reading back and indeed it does, that shuts me up then, just completely missed that line in the preview 😬

Good luck to all of you who are going to continue watching Clyde this season. I’m taking a step back for the foseeable. The thought of winning less than the 9 league games we won last season doesn’t do it for me. I don’t enjoy that at all. Fingers crossed that things improve and would gladly be proved wrong 🙏🙏🙏

I’ve mentioned it in the past and everyone’s entitled to spend their Saturday’s doing whatever they please but one thing that won’t help the club is people not going. I’m expecting a difficult season but it’ll only get worse if folk stop going. I plan to enjoy watching us play teams like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrie, QotS because it wasn’t long ago at all we were visiting Cowdenbeath, Coatbridge, Ochilview etc.

Understand your reasoning Bob but I do hope you reconsider.

3 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I’ve mentioned it in the past and everyone’s entitled to spend their Saturday’s doing whatever they please but one thing that won’t help the club is people not going. I’m expecting a difficult season but it’ll only get worse if folk stop going. I plan to enjoy watching us play teams like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrie, QotS because it wasn’t long ago at all we were visiting Cowdenbeath, Coatbridge, Ochilview etc.

Understand your reasoning Bob but I do hope you reconsider.

Lovely to watch these clubs of course- but will the novelty wear off if we get battered by them? 

I think we need to judge after the first 5 or 6 games…… but understand Bob’s reluctance to put himself through another challenging season.

Is there any club in world football that has trouble finding full-backs like we do? I don't even mean PotY standard guys, I mean ones that aren't a complete liability every week. Our record is absolutely shocking.

Invariably on the rare occasion that we find a decent one, we end up sticking them in midfield.

1 hour ago, Bob731 said:

Good luck to all of you who are going to continue watching Clyde this season. I’m taking a step back for the foseeable. The thought of winning less than the 9 league games we won last season doesn’t do it for me. I don’t enjoy that at all. Fingers crossed that things improve and would gladly be proved wrong 🙏🙏🙏

Thanks for that Bob and goodbye.

Think the definition of a 'supporter' is to support the team?

I've been buying a season ticket every year for 40 years and it doesn't seem to me about winning a certain amount of games a season.

Yeh times have been desperate, but that is when support and loyalty are supposed to shine through..

Good luck going back to the OF or whatever TF your next move is.

Doubt your support will be missed if it's that shallow!

Good luck to all of you who are going to continue watching Clyde this season. I’m taking a step back for the foseeable. The thought of winning less than the 9 league games we won last season doesn’t do it for me. I don’t enjoy that at all. Fingers crossed that things improve and would gladly be proved wrong [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]. 

What exactly are you expecting? Newsflash - we aren’t going to win the league. There are several full time teams and better run part time teams. Realistically this season will be successful if we maintain our League 1 status.

Good luck to all of you who are going to continue watching Clyde this season. I’m taking a step back for the foseeable. The thought of winning less than the 9 league games we won last season doesn’t do it for me. I don’t enjoy that at all. Fingers crossed that things improve and would gladly be proved wrong [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]. 
If you don't want to go, don't go.

Do you really need to tell us all?

Should I post that I'm going to the match every Saturday?

Although I don't really go every week as it can be expensive to go to Peterhead and stuff.

We were a complete shambles at the start of last season but Lennon drilled the team into a hard to beat side. Hopefully he can do similar with this side.

However we do look extremely weak at full back and a midfield paring of Grant and Gomis won't work. Don't think Splaine has signed anywhere else as a him and Grant in midfield would work well.