Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

4 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Can't say I'm surprised :(

Me neither and was willing to give new guys a chance

But we aren’t all daft and clear to see after just one game that the team just won’t be good enough

Might just be settling in period but don’t think it will be

2 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Sounding like Bradley Hurst had a shocker ? 

Subbed at half time says it all

Chucked the 2nd and could have easily lost another due to his error of dropping a cross 

How he got a trial at Livi I’ll never know

They clearly see something in him that I don’t

I’m not he was slow 5 years ago
Usually makes up with it with his football brain but playing beside someone who is even slower than him doesn’t help
Key is you need at least one of your CH to have pace in L1 and the fastest we have is Peter Grant who is a knowingly slow player

There's slow and there's sloooooow

At least one thing we’ve done tonight is sort the Parry and JBH debate. 

We knocked it about a lot without looking dangerous for the most part.  Our reluctance to play forward passes didn’t help that. 

The boy McDonald when he came on made numerous runs into the channels and never once got it, then the one time we did he played a ball in for Cunningham that he must’ve been inches from putting in. 

We need to be a lot better, but I also think that system didn’t work against Bonnyrigg tonight. They had 3 centre backs and we had 1 striker totally isolated. 

10 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Subbed at half time says it all

Chucked the 2nd and could have easily lost another due to his error of dropping a cross 

How he got a trial at Livi I’ll never know

They clearly see something in him that I don’t

I think he injured himself when he came, unsuccessfully, for the cross.

14 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

At least one thing we’ve done tonight is sort the Parry and JBH debate. 

We knocked it about a lot without looking dangerous for the most part.  Our reluctance to play forward passes didn’t help that. 

The boy McDonald when he came on made numerous runs into the channels and never once got it, then the one time we did he played a ball in for Cunningham that he must’ve been inches from putting in. 

We need to be a lot better, but I also think that system didn’t work against Bonnyrigg tonight. They had 3 centre backs and we had 1 striker totally isolated. 

I like Jordan Allan and think he’s a handy lower end League One striker but he had no chance tonight against those three centre backs, completely isolated all game. He’s at his best when running in behind or between defenders but for that he needs support from midfield or someone beside him to help him get the ball in those areas, neither of which really happened for Clyde tonight. 

I thought Ray Grant was Clyde’s best player, kept things ticking over and generally used the ball pretty well. As others have said, Clyde had some nice moments and moved the ball forward pretty well but there was just no quality in the final third. Duthie caused problems with his pace and directness but his final ball was generally poor and I thought Roberts was pretty anonymous, oddly Gomis seemed to be the midfielder advancing forward more often.

Clyde’s recruitment does seem a lot more sensible than previous summer windows and I can see what Lennon is trying to do, based on that there’s still more than a few tweaks needed before the league starts though.

It’s the same old shite moans on this forum for the last couple of seasons with the same dozen or so contributors…and that was WITH Goodwilliie…we have to give it time, around 15 players brought in , no youth set up etc etc. Please accept that if it doesn’t get better, then it’s longer term survival which is just as important which means getting the right infrastructure. However, there is a huge change going on in terms of the Lowland and Highland League teams being just as ambitious and coming up so 5-10 yrs time could see another 4/5 older clubs disappearing. We will get a few sore ones this season but as long as we’re above Edinburgh and Peterhead then that’s all that matters this season. Danny has taken another contract with one arm tied behind his back and with the potential of taking a lot of flak…who else would want to do that day to day ? 

57 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Me neither and was willing to give new guys a chance

But we aren’t all daft and clear to see after just one game that the team just won’t be good enough

Might just be settling in period but don’t think it will be

Of course but looks like the cloth has been cut further this year. 

No cheat code this time.

57 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

Please accept that if it doesn’t get better, then it’s longer term survival which is just as important which means getting the right infrastructure. However, there is a huge change going on in terms of the Lowland and Highland League teams being just as ambitious and coming up so 5-10 yrs time could see another 4/5 older clubs disappearing. 

This is real worry as with a dwindling support we could easily be one of the 4/5 older clubs to disappear never to come back again

We had the chance to build things over 25+ years at Broadwood but regime over regime blew it.  When someone who could have built something came along (Ronnie MacDonald) we chased him out the door to Hamilton Accies

Wait and see the impact Broomhill have at Broadwood over the next 5 years - they will be one of the clubs to bypass us.

They will shake things up and build a support in Cumbernauld and the surrounding area.  They have supposedly sold over 1k season tickets already for the season ahead.  More than 5x what we had last year

Edited by Bullyweeno1

7 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

This is real worry as with a dwindling support we could easily be one of the 4/5 older clubs to disappear never to come back again

We had the chance to build things over 25+ years at Broadwood but regime over regime blew it.  When someone who could have built something came along (Ronnie MacDonald) we chased him out the door to Hamilton Accies

Wait and see the impact Broomhill have at Broadwood over the next 5 years - they will be one of the clubs to bypass us.

They will shake things up and build a support in Cumbernauld and the surrounding area.  They have supposedly sold over 1k season tickets already for the season ahead.  More than 5x what we had last year

If that’s the case about Broomhill, then what a slap in the face that is to us because as you said, the potential was there.

Broomhill also have a company firing money through them, there will be an initial excitement with them but once everyone realises they’re shite and the league is shite, they’ll all go back to their normal teams. 

Last night was absolute garbage. I also refuse to do the whole 'aw it's too early to blah blah because the team needs to gel and blah blah'. It was nothing to do with not having gelled. Bonnyrigg weren't great and I've never seen a team in worse physical shape, but we barely laid a glove on them. Not one of our boys could beat a man.

I was initially excited about Rodden's signing, but after having seen him twice now he looks miles off the standard required for League 1. Maybe he'll grow into it but we need another option there. Preferably one that isn't shoehorning Paul Kennedy in.

I was impressed with Olly MacDonald when he came on. He looked sharp and nippy, but that had no end product because the rest of the team were playing like a bunch of dullards.

Liam Scullion looked fine but by the time he came on we weren't holding a shape at all so I've no idea where he was supposed to be playing.

Jordan Allan done his best but again, doesn't look up to scratch and is very small. It was an absolutely wild choice to stick him on his own up top against Bonnyrigg's two centre halfs (enormous).

Duthie and Ray Grant showed absolutely nothing.

JBH had a nightmare and picking up an injury shipping the second goal was a nice excuse for Danny to bring him off.

McGachie and Hall dancing through the defence for the first goal certainly was a sight to behold. Two very experienced centre halfs just absolutely capitulating. Rubbish.

Overall not a good first impression of this squad at all. Hopefully this is just a blip on the way to settling down but it's a really big, scary blip.