Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Being long exiled in England and only getting to see the Bully Wee via the video highlights, I am sad to say that level 3 in Scotland is about the same as level 9 down here. Much of the problem is caused by the split between the SPFL and the Juniors, many of whom have a strong fan base. Until there is complete unity between the two, I can only see many of the problems alluded to here continuing. As someone who grew up in the era of Ring, Robertson, Haddock and Herd of fond memory, perhaps the only way forward for clubs like ours is to form strategic partnerships, or even to merge with, a strong Junior side, hopefully with a half decent stadium! 

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I thought I read that our football budget was the same as last year, which included a hefty salary for our  captain. Also a few players reported to be on very good money- Gomis, Balatoni being two mentioned.

Also,  there was a transfer fee for Mitch and David’s transfer fee. Why,  after signing so few players and mostly from divisions below us and with the exciting new commercial opportunities at NDP we are hearing about…… are we to accept we have “no money for players”?

The player budget is 200k which was discussed at the fans meeting  and the money coming into the club now will deal with running costs and building up next years budget i would assume.

5 minutes ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

The player budget is 200k which was discussed at the fans meeting  and the money coming into the club now will deal with running costs and building up next years budget i would assume.

Are you talking strictly players? 
I thought the football budget was quoted at 336k but included all staff such as physios and team manager etc. 

If same as last year it should still stretch further without David’s wage draining the pot

That’s the thing we surely do have some of that money sitting there but like in Danny’s record article, maybe that’s being put on standby as we wait for more experienced and higher calibre players who are still waiting to make a decision on their future. Still just under a month until the league starts n I’m sure by then and after these glorified friendlies we’ll have a much more established league 1 team. 

4 minutes ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

That’s the thing we surely do have some of that money sitting there but like in Danny’s record article, maybe that’s being put on standby as we wait for more experienced and higher calibre players who are still waiting to make a decision on their future. Still just under a month until the league starts n I’m sure by then and after these glorified friendlies we’ll have a much more established league 1 team. 

I agree- which is why I’m not buying into the “we have no money for players” stuff.

25 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I agree- which is why I’m not buying into the “we have no money for players” stuff.

Sorry to rain on your parade but there is little to no money left for players and the next signings will be underwhelming mark my words we are skint and you will just have to accept this as fact. We are signing players from Gretna and although they are good players they aren't experienced at league 1 level hence we cant afford experienced players.  

I agree that it certainly looks like what we all know deep down that we are skint.
If that is indeed the case I’d rather we came out and admit that. At least we would know what to expect as signings and perhaps allow supporters to accept the situation, hope Danny can produce a miracle again and everyone gets right behind the players that do play. 

49 minutes ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Sorry to rain on your parade but there is little to no money left for players and the next signings will be underwhelming mark my words we are skint and you will just have to accept this as fact. We are signing players from Gretna and although they are good players they aren't experienced at league 1 level hence we cant afford experienced players.  

How are you so sure of this? As for

“ raining on my parade”…. It’s merely an opinion and a talking point. No parading just opinion and discussion…. Let’s not make it more than that.

Edited by JBJ

35 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I agree that it certainly looks like what we all know deep down that we are skint.
If that is indeed the case I’d rather we came out and admit that. At least we would know what to expect as signings and perhaps allow supporters to accept the situation, hope Danny can produce a miracle again and everyone gets right behind the players that do play. 

Yet at the meeting at NDP the FD stated the budget the same. 

I fully agree that the signings would suggest otherwise.

4 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Have to wonder why these guys have came out of pro youth and ended up at Gretna, it’s a fair drop. 

I imagine they’ll be squad players but we still need a few who will be starters or at worst able to step in competently to anyone dropping out the starting 11. 

Tbh, the way the footballing structure is changing in Scotland,is it really a drop? More and more “junior” clubs able to compete or better any wages offered.

2 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

What I’d say is that yes the budget may be the same as last year but plainly that is not enough to make us competitive in this league. 

Yes, clearly even with buffer of David’s large wage being gone and the transfer fee which of course remains undisclosed.

We’d better prepare ourselves for a long hard slog in a very tough league. 8th would be acceptable now. Anything better will be over achieving and top 4 a pipe dream.

6 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

Tbh, the way the footballing structure is changing in Scotland,is it really a drop? More and more “junior” clubs able to compete or better any wages offered.

Depending on the club wages may be higher, but hard to see how Gretna are paying good money. 

5 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

I'm not sure Gretna would be an example of that. Their highest wage is probably about £50 a week, but you're right in a sense. Likes of Mark Lamont probably on similar terms at Kilwinning as he was at us. 

Just now, clyde_r_us said:

At least there will be more struggling teams in the bottom half of the table if all things are believed

Think top 4 will be Falkirk, Dunfermline, QOS Airdrie in any order.

then Montrose Kelty Alloa in any order

then us, Peterhead and Fc Edinburgh.

would love to be wrong and see us mid table- but can’t see it 

2 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Not sure we will hit last season's highs, sadly.

Easton a big miss sure enough. 

you can swap out for Montrose or Alloa then

27 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yes, clearly even with buffer of David’s large wage being gone and the transfer fee which of course remains undisclosed.

We’d better prepare ourselves for a long hard slog in a very tough league. 8th would be acceptable now. Anything better will be over achieving and top 4 a pipe dream.

This is all assuming that DGW's wages came out of the general playing budget pot. There are plenty of past stories of individuals picking up the tab for select players in order to ever be able to afford them. in fact was it not a classic example of the John Brown <shudder> era that when he left, the "guaranteed" funding for a number of players suddenly got withdrawn, leaving us in a financial hole?

So, assuming DGW was funded outside of the budget or that he was subsidised over and above his equal share of the budget, then you need to look at the supporting cast from last year to give you a realistic idea of what we can afford this year if the budget is the same. Also factor in that whatever we received for the DGW transfer, a chunk of that went back to Raith due to the ill conceived load deal that saw us pay 4 or 5 month part salary for 0 appearances.