Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

Mark Docherty away to Edinburgh if he’s the type of signing their making we just might avoid 10th 😂!

Was thinking the same myself. He was solid enough for us but he’s not league 1 standard really. 

I don't think Docherty is that bad a signing for a team coming up given his experience. If they have a quick centreback beside him, he'll do largely fine.

7 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Ross Cunningham will have a field day against him. I’ve seen milk turning quicker.

Cunningham should be nowhere near him given he is rubbish playing on the right wing.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

52 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I don't think Docherty is that bad a signing for a team coming up given his experience. If they have a quick centreback beside him, he'll do largely fine.

Cunningham should be nowhere near him given he is rubbish playing on the right wing.

If we can get Cunningham on the park it will be a miracle as he is always injured but my granny could beat Docherty for pace.

54 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Mark Lamont has signed for the Buffs. A fair drop down the leagues

kilwinning rangers david gormley is the manager formerly broomhill manager and that's the connection. mark lamont is sliding down the leagues that quick he  will be playing walking football next LOL.

Edinburgh might not use Docherty at LB either (don't they have Callum Crane and Robbie McIntyre?). Think he played sitting midfield a lot for Annan so maybe a return to a similar role.

Lamont's a talented player but he became so unfit during the lockdown season and doesn't seem to have got it back since.

Edited by CM.

12 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Ross Cunningham will have a field day against him. I’ve seen milk turning quicker.

Mad statement. Cunningham is terrible out wide, Docherty would have him on toast.

14 hours ago, Clyde85 said:

Mark Docherty away to Edinburgh if he’s the type of signing their making we just might avoid 10th 😂!

Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite us in the hole, I don't really see Docherty as being any worse than who we've signed already. He was certainly a great guy to have around by all accounts and very experienced.

Will reserve my snide comments about other teams signings until we look like we could finish anywhere above 9th this season.

10 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

He might have been a great guy to have around but you can’t be sentimental. Everyone can see that he’s not league 1 level.

He's not League 1 level, but who was for us last season? Who have we signed so far that you'd deem League 1 level? Most of the boys we released have returned from whence they came - several levels below. He was clearly one of our better performers and a good influence in the changing room. I'm not being sentimental, Kevin Nicol was apparently just as good a boy to have around but I wouldn't be touching him this season with a shitty stick.

We've signed similar quality this season so far. We could have done far worse than re-signing Docherty.

Fwiw, I don't WANT to be signing him either - but that's simply the pool we're fishing in now. Players of substandard quality that we hope our relatively experienced manager can get a tune out of.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Just my opinion but I’d say Parry, Cuddihy, Livingstone, Cunningham, Gomis and Splaine. Obviously the boys we had on loan McAllister and Jamieson also who I’d love to have back. 
I’d say Ray Grant is league one level I don’t know much about the others as I’ve not seen them play yet so I’ll reserve judgement on them. Apart from Lyon who I don’t think is but I’d probably at a push rather have him than Docherty.

16 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

He's not League 1 level, but who was for us last season? Who have we signed so far that you'd deem League 1 level? Most of the boys we released have returned from whence they came - several levels below. He was clearly one of our better performers and a good influence in the changing room. I'm not being sentimental, Kevin Nicol was apparently just as good a boy to have around but I wouldn't be touching him this season with a shitty stick.

We've signed similar quality this season so far. We could have done far worse than re-signing Docherty.

Fwiw, I don't WANT to be signing him either - but that's simply the pool we're fishing in now. Players of substandard quality that we hope our relatively experienced manager can get a tune out of.

normal service has been resumed Docherty is a great guy and helped us last season but deemed not good enough for clyde going forward.

we wish him every success at Edinburgh city and I'm sure we will target him when we play against them for his lack of pace.

24 minutes ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

we wish him every success at Edinburgh city 

Surely FC Edinburgh (unless he's going to sit in the Social Club and get pissed on a Saturday afternoon. Which is not a bad idea really)

36 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Surely FC Edinburgh (unless he's going to sit in the Social Club and get pissed on a Saturday afternoon. Which is not a bad idea really)

I think he's a good signing for Edinburgh city as they have just came up and he has loads of experience but Clyde as a club need to at least try and recruit players who are more mobile and  decent players that's the challenge if you re-sign players like Docherty you will play them and the club will not make progress on the field. It all goes back to the poor  budget and it will be an unremarkable squad reliant on the coaching  staff getting the best out of ordinary players.

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

Just my opinion but I’d say Parry, Cuddihy, Livingstone, Cunningham, Gomis and Splaine. Obviously the boys we had on loan McAllister and Jamieson also who I’d love to have back. 
I’d say Ray Grant is league one level I don’t know much about the others as I’ve not seen them play yet so I’ll reserve judgement on them. Apart from Lyon who I don’t think is but I’d probably at a push rather have him than Docherty.

Sorry, allow me to elaborate. I meant more 'who showed up as being L1 quality last season' as opposed to 'who SHOULD be L1 quality'.

Parry, Livingstone and Gomis I'll give you. Splaine I do really like but he's extremely frustrating. He had a few games towards the end of the season and scaterred around where he turned up very well, but I feel like on average he was lacking. Two goals in 35 appearances for a box-to-box centre midfielder is poor too.  Cuddihy and Cunningham made around the same number of appearances last season as David Goodwillie, who left in January. They just didn't play enough games and when they did, they were poor for the most part because ultimately they were so far behind in terms of match sharpness. Cunningham had 4 goals in 25 across all competitions, all against East Fife across two games who were ultimately relegated. That isn't the form of a forward player who was playing at the required level.

Grant certainly WAS L1 level but couldn't get a game for a bang average Stirling team last season in the league below. I'm happy he's back but I'll reserve judgement. We're told Lyon has improved as a player - again, I'll reserve judgement. The other signings for the most part are not an upgrade on what we had last season. As much as we all dig at Rob Jones, he scored 4 and assisted 6 last season. Duthie scored 6 with no assists, Allan scored 3 with 4 assists. We all know Jones isn't L1 standard, so is signing players with similar, or arguably worse relevant stats an upgrade?

My point here is, we used around 30 players last season and (imho) about 4 showed up as being the quality required in the league. I'll repeat, we can do far worse than Mark Docherty.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Sorry, allow me to elaborate. I meant more 'who showed up as being L1 quality last season' as opposed to 'who SHOULD be L1 quality'.

Parry, Livingstone and Gomis I'll give you. Splaine I do really like but he's extremely frustrating. He had a few games towards the end of the season and scaterred around where he turned up very well, but I feel like on average he was lacking. Two goals in 35 appearances for a box-to-box centre midfielder is poor too.  Cuddihy and Cunningham made around the same number of appearances last season as David Goodwillie, who left in January. They just didn't play enough games and when they did, they were poor for the most part because ultimately they were so far behind in terms of match sharpness. Cunningham had 4 goals in 25 across all competitions, all against East Fife across two games who were ultimately relegated. That isn't the form of a forward player who was playing at the required level.

Grant certainly WAS L1 level but couldn't get a game for a bang average Stirling team last season in the league below. I'm happy he's back but I'll reserve judgement. We're told Lyon has improved as a player - again, I'll reserve judgement. The other signings for the most part are not an upgrade on what we had last season. As much as we all dig at Rob Jones, he scored 4 and assisted 6 last season. Duthie scored 6 with no assists, Allan scored 3 with 4 assists. We all know Jones isn't L1 standard, so is signing players with similar, or arguably worse relevant stats an upgrade?

My point here is, we used around 30 players last season and (imho) about 4 showed up as being the quality required in the league. I'll repeat, we can do far worse than Mark Docherty.

Hi Brian i think you must be a lawyer and you make a great case for mark Docherty but he has been deemed not good enough by the management and by  many on this chat. The truth is he is a good player but his legs have gone and being a good  reading of the  game can only get you so far. Its a shame as by all accounts he is one of life's good guys but football is cruel.

Docherty wasn't an issue for us after a shaky start but he also contributed to us having to sit and defend in our own box for the last 60 minutes of a game. 

If you could give Livingstone Docherty's knowledge and calmness, then you'd have an excellent player. Alas, neither is good enough to play left back at this level without causing issues elsewhere on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, David W said:

Docherty wasn't an issue for us after a shaky start but he also contributed to us having to sit and defend in our own box for the last 60 minutes of a game. 

If you could give Livingstone Docherty's knowledge and calmness, then you'd have an excellent player. Alas, neither is good enough to play left back at this level without causing issues elsewhere on the pitch. 

It will be interesting to see where Adam Livingstone ends up but your right not a left back and  not a left winger. Bench warmer at best

I'm on holiday in Spain and not really giving a fig, but McColl of PT was on Radio Scot on Saturday, saying they had resumed training and he was hopeful of a couple more signings, Including a goalie....they're top 4 of championship and no better off than us in respect of signings.  

I've said for years that we need to be looking at a type of part time player.  We need to find a USP to attract players.   We have had pharmacists, teachers, salesmen, brickies, postmen  and bankers.  Theses guys are far better 'employees' than guys like Lamont, who never quite made it, but believe they're the real deal.