Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

If we are waiting until bounce games to assess players then they are likely not good enough imo. We handed Paul Kennedy a 2 year deal after a good performance in a friendly last season FFS.

There are plenty of guys who would walk into our team that have gone to teams further down the pyramid.

Really worrying that more guys we donโ€™t need a trial match to evaluate arenโ€™t being signed up.

Despite being a regular, I think this will be the first time Iโ€™ve bought a season ticket in about 13 years. Itโ€™s difficult to get excited about the team as we have barely any players currently, but Iโ€™ve a positive feeling about the future. Hopefully the right decisions are made regarding any new stadium and we take on board the copious amount of mistakes weโ€™ve made before and not make them again.

It is Clyde we are talking about, though. Roll on Hibs away.ย 

Finding it hard to be positive given the slow recruitment, which I donโ€™t think is a good indication of where we are heading.
Hopefully Iโ€™m wrong but itโ€™s going to be a hugely competitive league which may be too much for us this year?

Still, purchased my season ticket this morning as usual in recent times due to blind loyalty. Also makes me feel less guilty if I end up picking and choosing my ย games this year.ย 

As others have said it isnโ€™t looking optimistic where we currently are

The big issue is that those already signed dont inspire me with any confidence.

We already have 14 signed up which means likely just another 6 (maybe 8 ) to be signedย 

Unless they are all going to be world beaters we are shaping up a squad that looks pretty poor

Suppose the only good thing is that others in our league also seem to have gone backwards in their squad quality eg Airdrieย 

Again calls in to question the purpose of dumb and dumber in the recruitment team. ย  Their purpose is to identify a few hidden gems. ย Now they may have in Rodden as donโ€™t know anything him but have seen all the others play and none were anything special. ย But then again that might just be an indication of where we are and the type of players we can realistically attract

Reality is we were spoiled over the last few years with DGW up front and wonโ€™t ever have that quality of player again for the length of time we did.

Think this will be a season to far.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by Bullyweeno1

Seems like it will be another few weeks then before we hear any signing news which is a bit depressing. Obviously gives the impression that the players we are bringing in to look at arenโ€™t established which is worrying.

Reminder that for the payment option over 10 months your season ticket must be purchased by next weekend.ย 
ย 

Regarding recruitment I would have liked to see a few more bodies added by this stage but not overly concerned. We will have a better squad than last season & at least we have identified the type of player we want. Last season we didnโ€™t have any sort of focus & were signing players without thinking how they would fit in or how we would play.ย 
ย 

Canโ€™t wait for the season to kick off. Hopefully the supporters can rally behind the club in a difficult season off the park as we look to build for the future.ย 

Iโ€™ve got to say Iโ€™m not seeing the confidence of others about our position. The sort of quality L1 players we need arenโ€™t gonna be playing as trialists and it isnโ€™t as if weโ€™re sitting with a good starting XI currently, we need starters in key positions.

15 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Iโ€™ve got to say Iโ€™m not seeing the confidence of others about our position. The sort of quality L1 players we need arenโ€™t gonna be playing as trialists and it isnโ€™t as if weโ€™re sitting with a good starting XI currently, we need starters in key positions.

Given that we probably need 20 players and we're currently sitting on 13 (I don't think for one minute we're planning to use Cassidy), then we are in the position where we need 6-7 undeniable L1 standard players. On top of that though, we also need ones that have height and a physical presence. Then add in the fact that centre half is always a problem position at the best of times. Hopefully the delays are simply the fact that we're being really particular about the players we are bringing in rather than panic buying like we did last summer.

The update today does say we're in talks with other players but needing three friendlies with an emphasis on looking at players worries me. A manager should be able to know whether to sign a player based on prior knowledge and training.ย 

10 hours ago, David W said:

Given that we probably need 20 players and we're currently sitting on 13 (I don't think for one minute we're planning to use Cassidy), then we are in the position where we need 6-7 undeniable L1 standard players. On top of that though, we also need ones that have height and a physical presence. Then add in the fact that centre half is always a problem position at the best of times. Hopefully the delays are simply the fact that we're being really particular about the players we are bringing in rather than panic buying like we did last summer.

The update today does say we're in talks with other players but needing three friendlies with an emphasis on looking at players worries me. A manager should be able to know whether to sign a player based on prior knowledge and training.ย 

The friendlies will give the players match practice and help with match fitness and the squad looks weak in all areas. We spent large parts of last season without key players like Barry cuddihy ross cunnningham and DGW it was a miracle we didnโ€™t get relegated. Cassidy will get a sniff ย but Iโ€™m more worried about ย thicot hes 35 and an unknown quantity but your right itโ€™s an area of the pitch that needs addressed.my concern is that the best players who were available have been snapped up by our league opponents as the club Have been snoozing during this crucial close season when we should have been all over it.Watch now the standard of player that comes in they will be old and experienced but more or less finished or prospects we are taking a punt on but definitely loans from other clubs as we can have 5 loans if we can afford them.Mark my words this will be the next course of action.

I donโ€™t think 2 or 3 loans are necessarily a bad thing, thereโ€™s been plenty of good loans in league 1. Jamieson at ourselves, Duncan at Peterhead last season, airdrie had a few from Celtic 1 of which has just signed for killie. Obviously only works if they are of that standard but itโ€™s not the worst route to go down.ย 

Our issue with loans at Clyde is that they are very seldom, if ever either ready for starting 11 or actually good enough at all.

We donโ€™t seem to or able to afford the players that others seem to. Again fishing in different pond, we donโ€™t get players from ย likes of Celtic, Rangers etc that are knocking on the door at these clubs.. we get the jersey fillers from Hamilton Killie and the likes.

Thatโ€™s despite Diamondโ€™s Input into the whole thing!๐Ÿคฏ

Edited by FREDDYFRY

37 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Our issue with loans at Clyde is that they are very seldom, if ever either ready for starting 11 or actually good enough at all.

We donโ€™t seem to or able to afford the players that others seem to. Again fishing in different pond, we donโ€™t get players from ย likes of Celtic, Rangers etc that are knocking on the door at these clubs.. we get the jersey fillers from Hamilton Killie and the likes.

Thatโ€™s despite Diamondโ€™s Input into the whole thing!๐Ÿคฏ

Players knocking on the door for first team football at Rangers and Celtic arenโ€™t going to be loaned to a bottom end league 1 club.

Thats why we ended up with that left back (Shields) and the wee guy with the double barrelled name who plays for their B team and hardly kicked a ball for us.

I know, not expecting that to be honest, I was trying to make the point that there seems to be a thought that we can pick up good loan players, thatโ€™s not been our experience either due to finance or just poor recruitment within that market. Probably both tbh.ย 

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I know, not expecting that to be honest, I was trying to make the point that there seems to be a thought that we can pick up good loan players, thatโ€™s not been our experience either due to finance or just poor recruitment within that market. Probably both tbh.ย 

I doubt this will be a team of outstanding players but at best be a team that plays for each other.so far itโ€™s uninspiring as a result of the poor budget.