Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

58 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Cant say I am full of any optimism about the squad so far.  Doesnt fill me with any confidence.

That's 13 players signed so far.  Lets say we go with a squad of 20.  That's just 7 players still to sign !!!!!!

Do you really think that these next 7 to be signed are going to be all L1 level players.  I dont.

I would expect you get your first picks that you want to make up your starting 11 first then you fill out the squad later on closer to the start of the season.  Fingers crossed we have adopted reverse of the logical strategy but I dont think we will.

Only one player signed released by a club at L1 level or above (Jordan Allan  - and i dont remember anything about him in the games v Airdrie).

You have to remember there is a reason a player is released.  They arent deemed good enough for the level they were playing at and we have signed a host of players released at a level below L1.

Even if we did sign Livingstone, Splaine, Cuddihy, McAllister and Jamieson only leaves a couple of other picks for the squad.

Difficult to believe - but this squad is building up to look even more s### than last season and that would be some achievement.

Going to be a long hard season i predict and without a proven 20+ goalscorer this time I think luck is going to run out this year.

We still need in my opinion

2 center halfs

right back

left back

box to box midfielder

creative midfielder

2 strikers who can get double figures goals (yeah i know that might be wishful thinking but even 1 who can get double figures would be good)

Nothing against the players who have signed so far, and hopefully proved wrong, but not feeling at all optimistic. 

Absolutely no chance the squad is going to be worse than last season. We would have to sign 7 Rob Jones’ from now for that to be the case.

3 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Absolutely no chance the squad is going to be worse than last season. We would have to sign 7 Rob Jones’ from now for that to be the case.

If we finish in 9th or 10th then the squad will statistically be worse than last season. 

Lets see where we end up May next year.

It will be a miracle if we finish anything other than 9th and 10th.  I said that last year and it was (without DGW goals we would have finished up 9th maybe 10th).

We knew what we were getting when we signed Rob Jones.  Dumbarton fans knew he was s### and so did we after a couple of games.

It was said earlier on but Edinburgh and Peterhead aren’t making any sort of signings at all, with Peterhead losing arguably their best player in Scott Brown with Russell McLean transfer listed. Sure I saw Savoury was leaving as well.

Edinburgh finished 4th in league 2 last year, I don’t see how people expect them to come up and be above at least 2 others without massive improvements. 

I can only imagine what Clyde fans would be like if we were having a summer like Peterhead. Ferry, Savoury, Long and Brown away, McLean transfer listed and Ritchie linked with a move away. No fear from Edinburgh either, they are a poorer side than the one we cruised past in our promotion year.

At least we have an identity his summer; nearly all the players we have are footballers with a bit of pace. Last summer we just signed a bunch of players that didn't fit together at all.

What we are seriously lacking is some (any?!) height and physicality. Rumsby leaving was brilliant news as he was awful in both boxes at set pieces (our record last season at both ends was as bad as any team I can remember). Ability in the air is what we need from our centre half additions and probably any other players we bring in.

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

We’ve seen Lyon in the flesh and he’s sh*t.

Just ignoring the comments from Stenny fans that he's improved, was offered a deal,  and playing a different position then ?

Might well not be much better than last time, but I for one am prepared to give him a 2nd chance (as is DL).

Hearing Bryson was approached but would have been wanting £700 a week, for a player that I would imagine is still going to be struggling with injury and maybe have half a season in him I would rather that money went to a couple of players that would at least be able to play the whole season, Stenny ready to spend big this season apparently 

9 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Hearing Bryson was approached but would have been wanting £700 a week, for a player that I would imagine is still going to be struggling with injury and maybe have half a season in him I would rather that money went to a couple of players that would at least be able to play the whole season, Stenny ready to spend big this season apparently 

Hearing from who?

2 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

If we finish in 9th or 10th then the squad will statistically be worse than last season. 

Lets see where we end up May next year.

It will be a miracle if we finish anything other than 9th and 10th.  I said that last year and it was (without DGW goals we would have finished up 9th maybe 10th).

We knew what we were getting when we signed Rob Jones.  Dumbarton fans knew he was s### and so did we after a couple of games.

I was meaning on paper this team isn’t worse. Time will tell on the park right enough…

As much as I would have liked Lyon to stay it was purely as he can play both full back positions as back up, which is useful, am pretty surprised he has got a league 1 contract. It's an un-remarkable signing but let's face it Clyde are in for an un-remarkable season.

On 02/06/2022 at 14:14, the_bully_wee said:

It'd be a stretch to suggest he'll be prolific, but that's a decent enough signing. Good physical attributes and a hard worker, with plenty of improvement still in him at that age.

On 02/06/2022 at 15:02, cb_diamond said:

Wrote the following on the Airdrie thread in response to a Clyde poster asking about JA:

He has never really had a run of games ever in his three spells, which I suspect tells a tale in its own right. For me he was best as an impact sub to come on and harry, run at and annoy tired defenders. I just don't know what to say about Jordan, he's not awful, he's not great. Will be interesting to see how he gets on with a consistent run of games. He may do well.

On a side note, if Clyde could get Josh Kerr that would be a superb signing for them. Has his injury issues but when fit he's a classy defender.

In January I think most Airdrie fans would have been happy to release Allan. Had only made fleeting substitute appearances and contributed little in them. But he got a short run of games at the start of 2022 and did us a turn, getting some goals and assists and generally being a bit of a nuisance. From that point on he did play his part in the run-in, albeit as a squad player once again. He did struggle against the likes of Cove, Thistle in the cup and Queen's Park so I think the lower-end of League 1 is very much his ceiling. But I think he'll do a reasonable job for you. He's not a striker I would build a team around but he works hard, harries defenders, can run-in behind and is a decent finisher when he gets the chance. Made a fool out of Gregor Buchanan several times. Think and hope he'll do a decent job for you. 

3 hours ago, David W said:

I can only imagine what Clyde fans would be like if we were having a summer like Peterhead. Ferry, Savoury, Long and Brown away, McLean transfer listed and Ritchie linked with a move away. No fear from Edinburgh either, they are a poorer side than the one we cruised past in our promotion year.

You also have a much better manager than Peterhead and probably Edinburgh City. Even if he is a strange man who refuses to sign any good players. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

You also have a much better manager than Peterhead and probably Edinburgh City. Even if he is a strange man who refuses to sign any good players. 

We night well, but how come we never seem to beat Peterhead😡

Didn’t really see the big deal about this, if NLC are running their own walking football scheme and are looking to make money off it then Clyde shouldn’t be allowed to run a competitor for free on their property. 

Nothing says social inclusion more than a council charging patrons for a service at the same time as preventing a charity from offering that same service for free.

It's not as if the poor and needy of North Lanarkshire deserve the health benefits of walking football. NLC have decided it should only be the preserve of those able to pay.

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Nothing says social inclusion more than a council charging patrons for a service at the same time as preventing a charity from offering that same service for free.

It's not as if the poor and needy of North Lanarkshire deserve the health benefits of walking football. NLC have decided it should only be the preserve of those able to pay.

Deleted my post as the tone was a bit lost online I felt. NLC have had a shocker here. My dad was looking forward to going to this. Now if he wants to give it a try he has to go through to Airdrie ( as they aren’t even offering a programme at Broadwood but no one else is allowed to) and pay 3 or 4 quid a pop. I don’t condone their actions.