Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I wish. He'll be starting for Raith next season.

Sure he got a bad injury last season thats put him out for several months so might not be fit for the season starting

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

He has no luck with injuries. Shame as he’s a good player.

Tam lang is a good player but we need to stop looking back the way. We need to recruit tried and tested and put pressure on the board to step up with the poppy. If we continue to recruit second division players we will end up in the second division

6 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

LJ coming back to the club even if that's possible  would help but he isn't a 20 goal a season striker 

The issue with this is that:

a) every single team In the country is on the look out for a player like this.

b) Players like that don’t come cheap

Not a single player in any of the top 4 leagues in the country hit 20 goals this season. I’d rather we focus on getting quality on the pitch in all areas and the goals come from all over the park than look for one major goal source. We had that for years and we can’t put our eggs on one basket, it simply doesn’t work. The only way Clyde sign a 20 goal a season striker is if we unveil a gem from the lowland/west of Scotland league no one has heard of, or we get a quality player and feed him.  

4 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

I think you might be surprised as DL has recruited pace and released the slow players.

Really.....what makes you think Gomis is going to be fast this year.

Time will tell but very much doubt we will end up with an exciting, fit, fast, attacking team. (thats basically a Man City, Liverpool, Celtic type of team).  Those types of teams dont appear by luck.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

3 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Tam lang is a good player but we need to stop looking back the way. We need to recruit tried and tested and put pressure on the board to step up with the poppy. If we continue to recruit second division players we will end up in the second division

Raith are in the championship mate 

2 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Really.....what makes you think Gomis is going to be fast this year.

Time will tell but very much doubt we will end up with an exciting, fit, fast, attacking team. (thats basically a Man City, Liverpool, Celtic type of team).  Those types of teams dont appear by luck.

I think you make some great points but the best we can hope for is not to get relegated and how  poor is that.DL has cleared out a lot of the dead wood but does he have the money to improve on the squad he had last season.I think not.I was at the Q&A and he has a relegation budget.

2 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

The issue with this is that:

a) every single team In the country is on the look out for a player like this.

b) Players like that don’t come cheap

Not a single player in any of the top 4 leagues in the country hit 20 goals this season. I’d rather we focus on getting quality on the pitch in all areas and the goals come from all over the park than look for one major goal source. We had that for years and we can’t put our eggs on one basket, it simply doesn’t work. The only way Clyde sign a 20 goal a season striker is if we unveil a gem from the lowland/west of Scotland league no one has heard of, or we get a quality player and feed him.  

Lots of good points but even the juniors and the lowland league pay their players more than Clyde.How feked up is that😩

3 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

I think you make some great points but the best we can hope for is not to get relegated and how  poor is that.DL has cleared out a lot of the dead wood but does he have the money to improve on the squad he had last season.I think not.I was at the Q&A and he has a relegation budget.

Yeah we are going to struggle this year I think.  

Overall the league is stronger with the additions of QOS, Dunfermline, Kelty and Edinburgh City

Then you have Montrose and Airdrie who will both be strong if they retain their squad

Also think Falkirk will be a lot better with McGlynn in charge.  

That just leaves us, Alloa and Peterhead.  Think will between those three and Edinburgh City for the bottom 2 places.

7 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Yeah we are going to struggle this year I think.  

Overall the league is stronger with the additions of QOS, Dunfermline, Kelty and Edinburgh City

Then you have Montrose and Airdrie who will both be strong if they retain their squad

Also think Falkirk will be a lot better with McGlynn in charge.  

That just leaves us, Alloa and Peterhead.  Think will between those three and Edinburgh City for the bottom 2 places.

It is going to be a tough season and these next signings will be crucial. Lets be honest the squad needed major surgery. Some of our best players were out injured for much of last season and the squad had no depth. Hopefully DL will get the recruitment right. This will be a challenge just to stay in the league next season.

13 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Lots of good points but even the juniors and the lowland league pay their players more than Clyde.How feked up is that😩

If you look at the Lowland League/ West of Scotland clubs in some cases they are bankrolled by external people like Darvel. Then you have teams like Pollok, Talbot etc who carry a support similar to what Clyde had in League 2 and maybe more than other league 2 teams. Talbot, Pollok etc make the most of cups and budget to be competitive and push in the league, these teams also own their own grounds and are very well ran off the park. 

Ultimately I wouldn’t say it’s surprising that they can offer good wages but I’d be surprised if their top end earners were earning the same as Clydes top earners, but those teams are also more attractive because they are competitive and players would rather be winning and going for silverware and making decent money. Being involved at the wrong end of the table and battling for points in front of an angry support  isn’t attractive for some players. 

2 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

If you look at the Lowland League/ West of Scotland clubs in some cases they are bankrolled by external people like Darvel. Then you have teams like Pollok, Talbot etc who carry a support similar to what Clyde had in League 2 and maybe more than other league 2 teams. Talbot, Pollok etc make the most of cups and budget to be competitive and push in the league, these teams also own their own grounds and are very well ran off the park. 

Ultimately I wouldn’t say it’s surprising that they can offer good wages but I’d be surprised if their top end earners were earning the same as Clydes top earners, but those teams are also more attractive because they are competitive and players would rather be winning and going for silverware and making decent money. Being involved at the wrong end of the table and battling for points in front of an angry support  isn’t attractive for some players. 

I think you have touched on the point of owning your own stadium and at Clyde it will never happen unfortunately as they don't have the finances .The club live from hand to mouth and the players leaving to play in lower leagues for more money is a lack of ambition on the players part. Ready to start a new season and the realisation its going to be tough with the level of competition we will be up against is soul destroying but i hope DL signs some good players to allow us to compete.

I fear that the job this year will be even out with Danny’s capabilities. We’ll be favourites for relegation let’s be under no illusion. I really fear the worst this season due to some of the teams in the league this year. Absolutely fascinating though how this league is going to play out . 

Yeah, it’s going to be another season where we have to hope at least one team has an absolute nuke.

Depending on the next few bits of recruitment, we’ll be (correctly imho) favourites to finish rock bottom, so we really need to be pulling something out the bag.

I’m not so sure about that. I’d agree that that EC and Peterhead will be the obvious targets to finish above to try and stay up but Peterhead have always had the wool over us in the key games and I think EC will be well backed and are in a good geographic area for players.

Edited by Ignoramus