Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Conor Scullion - another legend of the Glasgow Cup campaign - also has two games for Fauldhouse so given our recent transfer record, it’ll be him.

Assuming no news is bad news on the likes of Cuddihy and Livingstone so we’ve got a lot of work to do when DL gets back from his soirée in Benidorm.

Spoiler

There is plenty time left before pre season and I'm sure there will be plenty irons in the fire.

On 19/04/2022 at 23:04, David W said:

More meat on the bones; We started with Aidan Cassidy at left-back (a boy that wasn't getting a game for a side who have shipped 109 goals this season) and he predictably got rinsed by Jai Quitongo. In fairness, Livingstone didn't fair much better in the second half. I've never been Rumsby's biggest fan but he was absolutely shocking, bullied all over the park no more so than at their second.

Kennedy and Cuddihy had some nice bits of passing in the early stages and the trialist who started was far from the worst I've seen, certainly caused a few problems playing off either wing but seemed a bit raw. Sadly not much to report from Samuel and it's a stretch expecting Jones to try when he doesn't bother himself in real matches. Jamieson came on and worked hard but basically spent the whole time trying to score himself a goal rather than passing.

I've never seen a player quite like Owen Andrew. Gets himself into decent positions with some pace and a bit of intensity and then balloons the ball off his own shin and out of play. 

1 hour ago, Ignoramus said:

Conor Scullion - another legend of the Glasgow Cup campaign - also has two games for Fauldhouse so given our recent transfer record, it’ll be him.

Assuming no news is bad news on the likes of Cuddihy and Livingstone so we’ve got a lot of work to do when DL gets back from his soirée in Benidorm.

After that season he deserves more than  a 1 day holiday. Lots to do though.

For some reason I always assumed it would be an island that Danny Lennon would choose to holiday.

17 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

For some reason I always assumed it would be an island that Danny Lennon would choose to holiday.

Ok I’ll bite. Why would you assume this?

20 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

Think Cuddihy will stay tbh. Livingstone came onto a game more at the back end of last season playing further forward but the more I think about it the more I think he could be replaced if he chooses to go, certainly as a LB. His attitude off the pitch stinks aswell supposedly.

I see Livingston have released Carlo Pignatiello, who is one of the two Dumbarton players from last season that I would have been interested in.

If you have him and Cuddihy then you have two players who can play at this level and cover three or four positions to a good standard.

12 minutes ago, David W said:

I see Livingston have released Carlo Pignatiello, who is one of the two Dumbarton players from last season that I would have been interested in.

If you have him and Cuddihy then you have two players who can play at this level and cover three or four positions to a good standard.

I'll be shocked if there's not full time offers for Carlo. Your man Stanger apparently has an offer from the Championship too. 

On 12/05/2022 at 13:16, Scott-Replay said:

Roberts was a decent player at QP and Airdrie from what I recall. He seems to have split the support at Stirling though. Some calling him rubbish, some saying he was onto a thankless task. Again, on paper, he’d be an improvement over some of the jobbers we had last season.

On 12/05/2022 at 23:29, Mr November said:

Airdrie’s best spell of the 2019/20 season was playing a 4-2-3-1 with the three being Callum Smith and Dale Carrick out wide and Kurtis Roberts in the middle. Three hard workers who track back, win the ball and drive forward. If you can get him in a system like that you’ll love him.

I’m still not entirely sure how good he is. He fitted into that Airdrie team really well, he loved to press high up the pitch and drive forward with the ball but he never seemed fit enough. Indeed, in his one solid run in the team I don’t think he ever completed a full 90 minutes. I wouldn’t expect lots of assists from him but he’ll help push the team up the park and he likes a shot from distance. Fans generally seem to really like him, our fans were constantly moaning about him not playing and then being released but he wouldn’t get near our current midfield. He’s an improvement on some of the jobbers that Clyde had this season though and I think he’ll be a good signing. 

I would agree with that. Think he's best as a box-to-box midfielder. His best asset is probably carrying the ball forward and almost literally dragging the team up the park. I liked him at Airdrie, and would have been happy to see him stay. There does seem to be something not quite right with him though. He was in and out of our team constantly and Stuart Millar publicly called him out for being unfit. I'm not sure how much truth there was in that (he was in the same team and midfield as Nat Wedderburn and, while there are different types of fitness, he's clearly not less mobile than big Nat) but clearly there was something that stopped him from getting a proper run in the team despite being one of our better players at the time. Things also haven't worked out for him at Stirling Albion either despite him having the ability to be a decent League 1 player IMO. He was over-rated by Airdrie fans and one of those players who got better with every game he didn't play. But unless much has changed in the last couple of seasons he should be a decent addition for you. 

We need to sign 2 big  strong centre backs who are good in the air as we shipped to many goals last season from set pieces  and we need a goal scorer  LJ coming back to the club even if that's possible  would help but he isn't a 20 goal a season striker or he would get a game at st mirren. As we barely have enough players for a 7 a side match does anyone know what's happening as the season will be here before we know it.

11 minutes ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

We need to sign 2 big  strong centre backs who are good in the air as we shipped to many goals last season from set pieces  and we need a goal scorer  LJ coming back to the club even if that's possible  would help but he isn't a 20 goal a season striker or he would get a game at st mirren. As we barely have enough players for a 7 a side match does anyone know what's happening as the season will be here before we know it.

Danny is on holiday right now, so more business to be done when he gets back. I'd suspect he has a few irons in the fire after the good early business, but with Clyde you just never know.

2 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Yes we all know what we need but know what you need and getting it as two entirely different things.

Will we get get 2 big strong center backs - doubt it.

Will we get someone who can score 20 + goals a season - almost certainly not.  I think we will struggle to have 2 players combined who will score more than 20 goals between them.