Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Grant is tidy on the ball as much as he’s a bit soft on the tackling side, he’s worth bringing back if we got the likes of Cuddihy and McAllister in next to him with a bit of energy to get up and down. 

Ray Grant released at Forthbank! Thought he would have been great for them.
So did I.

Disappointing at Alloa and now at League Two Stirling Albion.

Some will be hopeful he re-signs for Clyde.

We can't assume he is still the quality player we had at Clyde.

Rarely does a returning player reach the heights of their successful first spell at a club.

I’m wary of signing L2 players - especially ones that have had a poor season - but Grant might be the exception given the success he’s had here previously and Lennon’s knowledge of how to maximise his talent. Hopefully he wouldn’t be in as much demand and could be acquired cheaply.

I do think we’ll end up retaining players from the current squad that aren’t good enough - Rumsby/Page, Livingstone, JBH, maybe even Docherty - because we’ll fear not being able to sign essentially an entire squad over the summer with our budget constraints and the issues we had last year with missing out on targets. These players must only be kept on as depth - if kept on at all - and on the fringes of things this year. 

Personally, my priority retention list would only be Parry, Cuddihy, Splaine and Cunningham. Some of the others named above (plus possibly Gomis depending on wage) will likely reappear and we obvs have Kennedy and McGrath on the books for next season.

Its ruthless - I don’t see the retention list being as tight as this - but it’s a put up or shut up year for us in L1. Never mind Lennon’s chat about making progress in the division next season, we need a revamp and a check in the expectations of our squad if we’re hoping to compete in an even more competitive division next year.

34 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Its ruthless - I don’t see the retention list being as tight as this - but it’s a put up or shut up year for us in L1.

I think it absolutely HAS to be ruthless. It’s clear for all to see that this season has been absolute murder and most of the squad just aren’t good enough for League 1 and would barely be good enough for League 2.

7 hours ago, haufdaft said:

So did I.

Disappointing at Alloa and now at League Two Stirling Albion.

Some will be hopeful he re-signs for Clyde.

We can't assume he is still the quality player we had at Clyde.

Rarely does a returning player reach the heights of their successful first spell at a club.

See Stevie Masterton and Stephen O’Donnell. Outstanding in their first spell. Average to poor second time around.

Can't believe people are talking about bringing Ray Grant back, he was so desperate for full time fitbaw that he wanted away from us, then decided to go to part time Alloa, league above to fair enough. Lennon wants him back and he changes his mind at the 11th hour to go to Stirling on what I can only assume was on bigger wages. He's been released, released from a L2 club. He was great for us but I don't want him back, obviously not the same Player and loyalty obviously an issue there. 

The players we really should be looking at are the top performers from L2 and some players from 2nd tier who have found themselves frozen out for whatever reason. Hopefully the business is done early enough so we can avoid a brutal season like this one. 

54 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Have no doubt Danny will try and sign Grant, not fussed about him turned down Clyde to sign for Stirling in L2 for an extra £20 a week.

Is £20 a week confirmed or just a number you plucked out the air?

I saw Alloa play a few times when Ray Grant was there and it seemed like Championship players were just too athletic for him. Reading the game will only get you so far unfortunately. It would have been interesting to see McStay move to that level as despite being far less consistent, he would have had a better chance physically.

Falkirk get a lot of stick (rightly) but Stirling have also been utterly laughable the last few seasons, throwing money at players and not even managing to reach the play-offs. I'd not use failing there as any sort of a guide as to a player's ability. Amongst other bizarre decisions they've been playing a good goalscorer at that level (Dale Carrick) out of position to accommodate a target man that makes Rob Jones look mobile and committed.

I'd not necessarily bring Grant back myself; I think he'd need a particular type of team around him and I'm not sure he's that good a player to plan your summer around. But he bossed games against teams at this level two years back, is still a good age, and I'd certainly not rule it out because he played for Clyde before. 

9 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Can't believe people are talking about bringing Ray Grant back, he was so desperate for full time fitbaw that he wanted away from us, then decided to go to part time Alloa, league above to fair enough. Lennon wants him back and he changes his mind at the 11th hour to go to Stirling on what I can only assume was on bigger wages. He's been released, released from a L2 club. He was great for us but I don't want him back, obviously not the same Player and loyalty obviously an issue there. 

The players we really should be looking at are the top performers from L2 and some players from 2nd tier who have found themselves frozen out for whatever reason. Hopefully the business is done early enough so we can avoid a brutal season like this one. 

Can we turn our nose up at a player like Ray Grant when we still have Kevin Nicoll on our books?

Edited by TheBigGuy

Would take Grant back.

Lennon would get the best out of him and wouldn't expect his wages to be as high as last time given he's now been released by Alloa and Stirling.

Really surprised to see where Stirling finished given I would have been happy for us to sign any of Leitch, Grant, Roberts, Carrick at the start of last season.

Mikey Miller on loan from Raith to Stenny, Ross McIver on loan from Thistle to Alloa and George Strange at Dumbarton are others I would be hoping we are looking at.

Would be a great start if we could keep Cuddihy, Cunnigham, Splaine, Livingstone, Jamieson and McAllister.

On 22/04/2022 at 07:07, Clinically Proven said:

Options are two things now:

1) Cut a deal with an ex junior team - Shetto, Ruggy or Vale of Clyde

2) Work with Clyde Gateway to get a deal done on Shawfield. It sticks out like a sore thumb now with all the regeneration around there.

Just to clarify, Shetto, (real name Shettleston) for the non Lower East Side of Manhattan Rap readers on here have changed their name.

They're now called Glasgow United and are now moving to the other side of the railway track at Greenfield.