Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

AFC Wimbledon have taken a moribund dog track and turned it into a smart stadium not far from their traditional home. 

The traditionalist in me would welcome a return to Shawfield for Clyde as I think the dug racing will be finished in a decade or two but AFC were fortunate in that the English League is awash with money and had better access to funds than the Bully Wee might. 

Plus the excess land was sold for building flats which probably funded the stadium.

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

I agree, but when you pick up a similar story from two other much more reliable sources, one of whom has absolutely no connection to Dumbarton you might have the start of a swirl, no ? 

Fair enough, I'm still wary of how this "rumour" has started. 

41 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/danny-lennon-clyde-self-destructed-26784992

Good to see Danny mentioning needing greater depth next season.

It's an interesting one as some would say having too many players this year was part of the problem. We must have about 25 players the now (+1 if you include Goodwillie who I imagine we're still paying a % of wages). We should be able to cut that down to 20 and make it a better squad overall. Clubs like us having 3 or 4 players out on loan is a complete waste of time and money. If they're not good enough for league 1 just now there's a fair chance they'll never be.

Edited by CM.

2 hours ago, CM. said:

It's an interesting one as some would say having too many players this year was part of the problem. We must have about 25 players the now (+1 if you include Goodwillie who I imagine we're still paying a % of wages). We should be able to cut that down to 20 and make it a better squad overall. Clubs like us having 3 or 4 players out on loan is a complete waste of time and money. If they're not good enough for league 1 just now there's a fair chance they'll never be.

I can’t remember ANY Clyde player going out on loan coming back.

On 22/04/2022 at 22:10, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Why the f**k would be be interested in moving to Kirkintilloch ya fucking zoomer?!

The same reason you decided to move to a stadium and town miles away from your home - "founded and played on the banks of the River Clyde"  with a sailing ship on the club crest, and miles from the River Clyde.  

On 22/04/2022 at 21:18, Hampden Diehard said:

Excellent about the floodlights. The pre-portakabin "toilets" are a bit embarrassing for a club getting 600 plus every week.

It will be all that was in the budget and I am sure will be upgraded in time. For all the crowd sizes, £7 / £4 doesn't exactly rake it in at the gate. The improvements drastically improve Newlandsfield from where it was at the turn of the year.

48 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

It will be all that was in the budget and I am sure will be upgraded in time. For all the crowd sizes, £7 / £4 doesn't exactly rake it in at the gate. The improvements drastically improve Newlandsfield from where it was at the turn of the year.

With those prices it’s the equivalent of an L2 side getting 300.

Good to see that you have got the lights in.

36 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

With those prices it’s the equivalent of an L2 side getting 300.

Good to see that you have got the lights in.

without massively derailing the thread, it also has to be considered that there was no substantial club income from  April 2020 until Jul 2021 due to the shutdown. The club have done their best at this stage and there's still things that can be done but it's all off our own back as opposed to help from council or from a ground byout etc.. on topic, will be interesting to see where Clyde settle in Glasgow.

Edited by cmontheloknow

10 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

without massively derailing the thread, it also has to be considered that there was no substantial club income from  April 2019 until Jul 2021 due to the shutdown. The club have done their best at this stage and there's still things that can be done but it's all off our own back as opposed to help from council or from a ground byout etc.. on topic, will be interesting to see where Clyde settle in Glasgow.

The romantic notion is Shawfield, never seen them there sadly.

Suppose it’s out of financial reach unless someone came along with a wad of cash,

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

15 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

without massively derailing the thread, it also has to be considered that there was no substantial club income from  April 2019 until Jul 2021 due to the shutdown. The club have done their best at this stage and there's still things that can be done but it's all off our own back as opposed to help from council or from a ground byout etc.. on topic, will be interesting to see where Clyde settle in Glasgow.

Don't make excuses to this mob.

52 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Suppose it’s out of financial reach unless someone came along with a wad of cash,

Not really, no.  There's several possibilities involving potential partnerships which would be a similar scenario as an option that's been proposed for a while but ironically wouldn't deliver on the 'we own it' narrative or much of anything else.

They've given themselves around 3 years or so.  That should hopefully give them plenty of time to ditch a vanity project in favour of the correct one.

We'll see

3 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

The same reason you decided to move to a stadium and town miles away from your home - "founded and played on the banks of the River Clyde"  with a sailing ship on the club crest, and miles from the River Clyde.  

So if you were founded and played on the banks of the Clyde, and have a ship on your crest you have to play in Glasgow? What’s Morton’s excuse then?

14 hours ago, Johnny Worm said:

So if you were founded and played on the banks of the Clyde, and have a ship on your crest you have to play in Glasgow? What’s Morton’s excuse then?

Surely Clyde FC is associated with Glasgow and being near the River Clyde, hence the name and the club crest - the suggestion by the poster to move to Kirkintilloch is no less illogical than the move to Cumbernauld all those years ago - doomed to eventual failure. By your argument then you would be in favour of such a move to Kirkintilloch as you are implying trying to get back to Glasgow and the club roots (in particular the Rutherglen area) is not important anymore. You would be as well changing your name and changing the club crest if that's the case. Am I missing something re Morton? Their club crest has a ship in it too, well that's understandable as their ground is across the road from the dock area. 

56 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Surely Clyde FC is associated with Glasgow and being near the River Clyde, hence the name and the club crest - the suggestion by the poster to move to Kirkintilloch is no less illogical than the move to Cumbernauld all those years ago - doomed to eventual failure. By your argument then you would be in favour of such a move to Kirkintilloch as you are implying trying to get back to Glasgow and the club roots (in particular the Rutherglen area) is not important anymore. You would be as well changing your name and changing the club crest if that's the case. Am I missing something re Morton? Their club crest has a ship in it too, well that's understandable as their ground is across the road from the dock area. 

What's in a name? 

Many clyde fans get misty eyes when thinking about Brigton, Oatlands and Ruggy but we've been away so long, 30+ years, that the tie is probably severed.  We are led by some petulant introverts who show little understanding of life.  Why would anyone, if they were a chief exec, want to be seen as the guy who signed off on a load of money for a (semi) professional team in the greater Glasgow area when most of the public are brainwashed into following the bigot brothers.

In terms of that geographical bit, Thistle don't play in Partick, Spurs don't play in Tottenham and Airdrie play miles away from Ayr! 

Strathclyde Academical, anyone?

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

What's in a name? 

Many clyde fans get misty eyes when thinking about Brigton, Oatlands and Ruggy but we've been away so long, 30+ years, that the tie is probably severed.  We are led by some petulant introverts who show little understanding of life.  Why would anyone, if they were a chief exec, want to be seen as the guy who signed off on a load of money for a (semi) professional team in the greater Glasgow area when most of the public are brainwashed into following the bigot brothers.

In terms of that geographical bit, Thistle don't play in Partick, Spurs don't play in Tottenham and Airdrie play miles away from Ayr! 

Strathclyde Academical, anyone?

I get that but Clyde needs a home, a reason, an essence. Just pitching up somewhere is sort of ground zero and as the Broadwood experience shows it is very difficult to build a brand where there is no tradition. 

I would say this is the clubs last realistic chance. Be a nomad  for ever and the club will slowly die. Why would anyone in the Hamilton area start to follow the Clyde from scratch now?

The club needs to seriously consider its roots, traditions and why someone new might suppprt them. it’s not rocket science.

Sharing at Hamilton for one or two seasons might be ok if there is a definitive plan not just to build and own your own ground but also the wider strategy to arrest structural decline.

But I can’t  see the logic of simply putting a pin on the map as there might be a junior ground there. If the club is to survive, as frankly that is an open question given the declining support and the pyramid structure, the Board need to urgently address its purpose, place and reason and probably outside capital.

if it was me I would move heaven and earth to try and buy Shawfield. It’s the clubs spiritual home and there must be residual goodwill in Rutherglen etc.

The racing is finished and without planning permission for alternative use the land has little value. It’s arguably a liability with decrepit stand. Sure the terracing is knackered and wouldn’t currently meet standards but for most games the main stand is more than big enough.

The board will doubtless say it can’t be done - too expensive. Well I’m not so sure  if the right strategy is sought and the council backs it. Grants are abaiable particularly if it is a community asset.

If the current owner of Shawfield sees the dogs are done and their is no planning it shouldn’t cost that much?

frankly what ever you do you need proper Board leadership. Seems to me the shareholders need to put much more pressure on the board and simply not accept mediocrity.

More positively you have an excellent manager who has worked wonders and a small bit loyal support. With that much can be achieved but you can’t be nomads for long.