Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Clinically Proven said:

Options are two things now:

2) Work with Clyde Gateway to get a deal done on Shawfield. It sticks out like a sore thumb now with all the regeneration around there.

Correct. The dogs are finished there, ban or no ban.  They're holding out for land value but they've a problem.  The terracing was condemned H&S years ago.  Most of the stand is now also.  They're wide open to a CPO on those grounds alone providing there's something to go up in its place.  Clyde Gateway made him a very generous offer around 8 years ago which he rejected.  He doesn't have many years left.  Time to make him an offer he can't refuse.   None of the other options mentioned in the past or now come close to that location's potential given redevelopment nearby and the greater expansion of the Rutherglen area over the years

But it's Clyde, so, y'know.....

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:
1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:
Only while they are doing redevelopment, by the looks of it. Be much easier by the time we actually play there, about forty minutes from Cumbernauld. Unless you were looking at Croy, much longer from there.

There is only a limited bus service to Cumbernauld train station and no buses to Greenfaulds. Then you've got about 2 miles to cover in Hamilton to get to the ground. Its doable but you're looking at the best part of 2 hours to get there and the same coming back plus train and bus fares.

The train goes to Hamilton West, which is 5/10 minute walk from the ground, 

Good luck guys and hope you get something sorted soon . As an Alloa fan Broadwood doesn't hold many happy memories especially losing a challenge cup final there in 2001 and of course that crazy play off game in 2008. 

I actually thought on visiting the stadium this season on the two occasions that the place in general looked run down with a lack of preventive maintenance. I see all the properties springing around the ground and actually wondered how long before the council sold to the developer. 

Is shawfield a potential surely this would be a desired outcome? Those of us of a certain age remember the football there indeed I think we were the last team to score there in 1986. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

Owen Alloa fan 

19 minutes ago, Oweny said:

I actually thought on visiting the stadium this season on the two occasions that the place in general looked run down with a lack of preventive maintenance. I see all the properties springing around the ground and actually wondered how long before the council sold to the developer. 

That's it after a lick of paint, new dugouts and some new seats after promotion in 2019 aswell, should've seen it prior to that!

Being from Kirkintilloch, my Dad took me to see Clyde when I was 7 as it was "just up the road" and it's stuck with me ever since so going to feel strange and emotional on Saturday on that front. Hamilton awkward for me public transport wise but would imagine a supporters bus would still run to (most) home games from Broadwood Farm/Glasgow city centre though.

Edited by CM.

Guess given Clyde are fan owned we don't need to worry about the Strathclyde Academical scenario of 1970 even though Accies are up for sale at the moment. The only angle that seems a bit strange to me from the outside looking in is whether waiting until after the council elections might have been worthwhile in case there was a change in control.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

A club with no home, no roots and no soul. Must be so proud to be a Clyde supporter. No doubt you will be taking the rapist with you. You really should drop the Clyde FC nowadays and rename yourselves what you are. Nomadic Nonces.

Imagine taking valuable time out of your life to come on this forum and type the worst patter anyones ever heard. I don't even like Clyde FC right now and even I'm embarrassed for you. What a smelly little donkey.

Guess given Clyde are fan owned we don't need to worry about the Strathclyde Academical scenario of 1970 even though Accies are up for sale at the moment. The only angle that seems a bit strange to me from the outside looking in is whether waiting until after the council elections might have been worthwhile in case there was a change in control.
NLC has been run by Labour since 99 so unlikely there would be any change. The SNP won the most seats in 2017 but Labour still ran the council with the support of the Tories.

NLC has been a disaster for Cumbernauld. It was much better when under Cumbernauld Development Corporation, who were the ones that wanted Clyde to come to Cumbernauld in the first place.

You certainly get the impression that NLC don't care for Cumbernauld and by extension Clyde.

NLC must have plans for Broadwood. I just can't see it being for housing with the gym, bmx track and 5 a side pitches all next to the stadium.

Reflecting on the posts since the announcement it’s clear there are mixed feelings across the fan base on whether leaving Broadwood at this time is a positive thing or not, time will tell of course. 
I find it interesting to read the split on whether supporters see the stadium as their home and I wonder if it’s a generational thing?

I attended my first Clyde game at Shawfield along with my late father (Bridgeton born) and older brother back in the late 60’s and have been pretty constant since and season ticket holder since then. Through leaving Shawfield (and that was devastating at the time) onto Firhill then old Douglas park. Finally then moving to Broadwood and I have to say that after the initial excitement of going there I can’t say I have ever felt at home. I tended just to see it as the place we played our games and have never, despite trying, managed to find a bond with the place. Despite some good memories and brief successes.

Yes mistakes have been made on both sides but as I say maybe some of the younger supporters will feel differently given they have known nothing else. Interestingly my two season ticket holding sons have only known Broadwood as home ground are delighted to be leaving But they might have a coloured view as their late Grandad hated the place, then again he had witnessed Scottish Cup wins and International players at Shawfield so he had an excuse I suppose.

my  hope is that this does not cause factions and division amongst the supporters, we can’t afford that.

Would be great to see Clyde return to Glasgow and hopefully Shawfield.

I know the place is a total wreck now but surely wouldn't take that much work to get the terracing cleaned up, put in new barriers and reinstall turnstiles and toilets. I mean even in it's current state the facilities would be better than Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers :lol: I think Arbroath and Ayr are showing at the moment that you can still compete well with an old-school type ground.

I know the inside of the main stand has been quite heavily b*****dised over the years with capacity cut back but it does still function for the greyhound racing I believe

With the tote board away there's a fair bit of space for temporary changing room pods etc as well

Anyway best of luck and hopefully you guys can get something sorted soon

I’m one of the ‘Cumbernauld generation’ and it will feel odd to be leaving after Saturday and starting a new season in a different place. As someone who supported the club spending most of my life ten minutes walk from the ground, I appreciate I’ve had it easy over the last 20 or odd years but it does feel as if it’s time for us to go. Whether you fully believe the projections and predictions about our future going forward at Broadwood from the board, the relationship appeared to have deteriorated to an irredeemable extent, even before the DGW affair brought it to a head.

The board seem confident about securing a new site in Glasgow from their statement; I wish I shared that sense of optimism but it’s difficult to do so after the various missteps on relocation over the last decade or so. I also agree with the post above about the recruitment being even more important than ever this season, another poor squad like this year playing at a temporary home and we’ll be on a journey to League 2 and probably worse.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Imagine taking valuable time out of your life to come on this forum and type the worst patter anyones ever heard. I don't even like Clyde FC right now and even I'm embarrassed for you. What a smelly little donkey.

The only embarrassed people around here are Clyde fans who love a rapist and a racist.

Reflecting on the posts since the announcement it’s clear there are mixed feelings across the fan base on whether leaving Broadwood at this time is a positive thing or not, time will tell of course. 
I find it interesting to read the split on whether supporters see the stadium as their home and I wonder if it’s a generational thing?
I attended my first Clyde game at Shawfield along with my late father (Bridgeton born) and older brother back in the late 60’s and have been pretty constant since and season ticket holder since then. Through leaving Shawfield (and that was devastating at the time) onto Firhill then old Douglas park. Finally then moving to Broadwood and I have to say that after the initial excitement of going there I can’t say I have ever felt at home. I tended just to see it as the place we played our games and have never, despite trying, managed to find a bond with the place. Despite some good memories and brief successes.
Yes mistakes have been made on both sides but as I say maybe some of the younger supporters will feel differently given they have known nothing else. Interestingly my two season ticket holding sons have only known Broadwood as home ground are delighted to be leaving But they might have a coloured view as their late Grandad hated the place, then again he had witnessed Scottish Cup wins and International players at Shawfield so he had an excuse I suppose.
my  hope is that this does not cause factions and division amongst the supporters, we can’t afford that.
Broadwood is the only home I've known for Clyde and gutted to be leaving it. A lot of memories there good and bad.

Can fully understand why the older fans viewed Shawfield the same and didn't have as much affinity with Broadwood.

Although I think we all expected a move away from Broadwood, given recent statements from the club and council, it does seem rather sudden. It is pretty sad that the last game will be a low key affair. The late notice of it means a bumper crowd is unlikely and I know of some fans that are gutted to be missing the game due to work etc.

I just hope the board have put a lot of thought into this move and have something positive to share in regard to finding a permanent home in Glasgow.

The posts above include a lot of noise around this, not surprisingly since the news is only 24 hours old and people need time to get their head around it. The shop, the buses, trains, DGW and everything else are short term small fry issues.

The key here is to learn from the mistakes in terms of our role in not making Broadwood a success.

Assuming a new site can be found and developed with partners at a sensible and sustainable cost then several questions need to be asked and answered.

Will we invest in a commercial team?

Will we invest in youth and community?

Will we invest in a Board and Admin team who have the bandwidth to do all that needs to be done to support a flourishing club?

Will we go and look at clubs elsewhere in the  UK who have to do this sort of thing - e.g. MK Dons, FC United,  Barnet (dispute with council)

Will we maintain constructive and positive relationships with whoever our partners turn out to be?

Will we price the football at a level that can attract a new community to the games - £17 for L1 in this economic environment is not going to do it.

Money will be the determinant of much of the above. The support of whatever proposals come will also be key as no more mistakes/splits/failures are acceptable - last chance saloon.

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

The posts above include a lot of noise around this, not surprisingly since the news is only 24 hours old and people need time to get their head around it. The shop, the buses, trains, DGW and everything else are short term small fry issues.

The key here is to learn from the mistakes in terms of our role in not making Broadwood a success.

Assuming a new site can be found and developed with partners at a sensible and sustainable cost then several questions need to be asked and answered.

Will we invest in a commercial team?

Will we invest in youth and community?

Will we invest in a Board and Admin team who have the bandwidth to do all that needs to be done to support a flourishing club?

Will we go and look at clubs elsewhere in the  UK who have to do this sort of thing - e.g. MK Dons, FC United,  Barnet (dispute with council)

Will we maintain constructive and positive relationships with whoever our partners turn out to be?

Will we price the football at a level that can attract a new community to the games - £17 for L1 in this economic environment is not going to do it.

Money will be the determinant of much of the above. The support of whatever proposals come will also be key as no more mistakes/splits/failures are acceptable - last chance saloon.

Sensible post.  I think we have a lack of ability to learn.  Our board are predominately 'good guys' but lack commercial nouse and the ability to collaborate.  We were pretty much on a battle footing with NLC.  This was only heightened when the then chair told them, 'we're off', without a place to go to. (Thank goodness, he's not on the board now!)

We are poverty stricken as a business. We have, at this stage, no capital and no means to raise capital, so are we gonna build our new home with goodwill and wishes?  This means we might be able to invest in a commercial team who are paid or sacked on results.  We probably cannot invest in youth and academy as that's too long term.

The key is community.  Community is NOT just weans' football.  Look at Arbroath and the feeling of belonging and longtermism. Without this, selling hospitality at £70 a pop is just a dream.

I want to feel more encouraged by the news, but I don't get positive vibes from our leadership.