Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Can't see this having a happy ending which does genuinely pain me. 

A return to Glasgow doesn't seem viable. What venue is there that wouldn't require refurbishment? What community is there looking for a team? Clyde have surely been away from Rutherglen for too long to still have roots there even if a return were possible. 

With Scottish football in the process if realigning itself with the potential of ambitious, cash rich, clubs joining the SPFL over the next decade or so I can see a slow slip into Lowland League obscurity. A bit like East Stirling playing in front of dozens and not hundreds at the Falkirk Stadium. 

19 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Even in short term this sounds better deal, office space a club shop that is actually open etc 3-5 year agreement . Certainly more secure than the NNL ultimatum.

Sometimes opportunities have to be seized upon when they are presented be that expected or not, I for one see this as a potential positive opportunity unlike the stagnant slow death we were under at Broadwood, a situation where, as a club we were at the highest position (and that is woeful) we could ever achieve given the financial constraints and the millstone of never being able to income generate whilst a tenant of NLC.

So help me undunderstand...Broadwood is shit, the rent is too high and we get naff all of pitch hire and match day hospitality...let's move to New Douglas Park with an undetermined rent, where we get naff all from pitch hire and hospitality, but this is our celebration, so it's feckin brilliant. 

This is NOT relocation, this is being a tenant of a stadium we fill 10% of in a more crowded location. I take my hat of to your quite superior negotiation skills.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

On 19/04/2022 at 23:04, David W said:

Without having any official insight, I am lead to believe we will actually save quite a reasonable amount on the rent. At least we’ll be able to open a club shop which can be open on non-match days. More than we can do at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Without having any official insight, I am lead to believe we will actually save quite a reasonable amount on the rent. At least we’ll be able to open a club shop which can be open on non-match days. More than we can do at the moment.

How much income do you think we are missing out on by not being able to open a club shop on non-match days?  

Struggling to see a great benefit in being able to open a club shop during the week in Hamilton when the majority of your fan base is in Cumbernauld and Glasgow.

The impact on the home crowd is completely unknown as well. Hopefully the club has figured in a reduced home crowd in working out the finances of moving to Hamilton.

I think we all knew a move away from Broadwood was on the cards but the move to Hamilton seems to have come about fairly quickly.

13 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

You cannot polish a turd, but you shouldn't let others cover it with gold leaf and tell you it's not still a jobby.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

8 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Struggling to see a great benefit in being able to open a club shop during the week in Hamilton when the majority of your fan base is in Cumbernauld and Glasgow.

The impact on the home crowd is completely unknown as well. Hopefully the club has figured in a reduced home crowd in working out the finances of moving to Hamilton.

I think we all knew a move away from Broadwood was on the cards but the move to Hamilton seems to have come about fairly quickly.

The only potential impact here can be a drop in crowds.     Certain people wanted us out of Broadwood even if there was no better offer.   They've got what they wanted.   In five years time it won't be shettleston juniors v broadwood, it will be shettleston juniors or nothing.     Congratulations to those folk

I've only ever viewed Broadwood as our home ground (bar the occasional trip to Alloa etc) so on a personal note, I'm devastated we're leaving. I don't see our next home feeling like "home" for quite some time. I appreciate the more detailed email I received (I'm not a member, so I'm assuming it was sent to as many supporters as possible?) but paragraphs 4 and 5 of the shortened statement on the Clyde site is absolute froth.  

I fully understand why we're moving on. Being hamstrung by a ridiculous rental rate means that with our basic income we basically match playing budgets with the teams at the bottom of L2.  It's easy for both sides to sling mud at each other but the fact is that both have been a disgrace over the past 28 years, made worse by neither side accepting as much.

I have absolutely no confidence in our next steps given the various fiascos that have embarrassed our club in recent years. Even just focussing on the previous attempts at relocation; the bonkers Shettleston idea, the misinformation regarding EK, appointing an egomaniac chairman to lead a move to Crownpoint... well we all know how that ended. Yes, it's safe to say that I'll take some convincing that we're heading on a different path this time.

l genuinely hope I'll be proved wrong. 

P.S. There's still other outstanding items of business; DGW, Shay Logan etc. Any chance they could be dealt with at some point?

27 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Where exactly do you open a club shop for a club that started in Glasgow, moved to Cumbernauld and now have a temporary residence in Hamilton?

Gartcosh perhaps?

In response to the above comments about the shop, I’m not championing it as a source of great income for the club. I’m referring to the email the club sent out to supporters which stated we’ll now be able to have a shop open out-with match days, at New Douglas Park. It was more a comment on how shambolic our current lease at Broadwood is. To be paying a pretty hefty amount of rent and to not have access to a shop outside of match days is one of the (many) small things that has contributed to a large percentage of our support being neither up nor down about the move. The experience for home and away supporters at Broadwood has been pretty poor and I don’t necessarily think it’ll be any worse at NDP.

As David correctly stated above, both sides have been as much to blame as the other. I have supported Clyde since 05/06 when I was a young boy and I don’t remember a time where Clyde and NLC weren’t at odds. Despite the fact it’s a soulless, 90% empty, cold and miserable stadium, it’s the only home I’ve ever known us to have. I’ve watched us beat Celtic there, scud Gretna and Hamilton during the four game spell during the 06/07 season where we briefly became the best team in world football, the mental Alloa play off game, the promotion season and I have so many more memories that I have shared with my friends and family there. I am definitely upset to be leaving, but for a few different reasons, varying from finances to being tired of the constant mud slinging, I’m quite relieved.

We’re at a crucial juncture for the club and again, as David said, I don’t think there will be many supporters who have faith in our board to lead us in the right direction but I’ll live in hope. Hopefully, New Douglas Park can be a more positive home for the club in the (hopefully) short-term.

Would (eventually) sharing with Rutherglen Glencairn be an option if the 2 clubs could do that ground up a bit?

Probably be as close as Clyde can get to moving back to Shawfield without actually moving back to Shawfield if the dugs get banned!

Colin McGowan (Accies club CEO but also owns stadium company which owns NDP - aye Accies as a club don't own NDP) will have jumped at the chance of some rental cash having lost the rental from the Lanarkshire VJB moving out of the North Stand offices - which are still empty.

And to those who say it's awkward to get from Cumbernauld to Hamilton there has been a direct train service between Cumbernauld/Greenfaulds & Hamilton for a few years now - 1 train per hour Mon-Sat

5 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Would (eventually) sharing with Rutherglen Glencairn be an option if the 2 clubs could do that ground up a bit?

Probably be as close as Clyde can get to moving back to Shawfield without actually moving back to Shawfield if the dugs get banned!

Colin McGowan (Accies club CEO but also owns stadium company which owns NDP - aye Accies as a club don't own NDP) will have jumped at the chance of some rental cash having lost the rental from the Lanarkshire VJB moving out of the North Stand offices - which are still empty.

And to those who say it's awkward to get from Cumbernauld to Hamilton there has been a direct train service between Cumbernauld/Greenfaulds & Hamilton for a few years now - 1 train per hour Mon-Sat

It’s two trains and it takes nearly an hour and a half.

I’d imagine the club would run a bus to home games.

Just checked & the direct train has been ditched for now due to the Argyle Line being closed between Rutherglen & Exhibition Centre.

Once that's reopened & trains back to normal then there is definitely a direct hourly train Cumbernauld - Hamilton as I've used it.

1 hour ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Only while they are doing redevelopment, by the looks of it. Be much easier by the time we actually play there, about forty minutes from Cumbernauld. Unless you were looking at Croy, much longer from there.

1 hour ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Just checked & the direct train has been ditched for now due to the Argyle Line being closed between Rutherglen & Exhibition Centre.

Once that's reopened & trains back to normal then there is definitely a direct hourly train Cumbernauld - Hamilton as I've used it.

Aye, will be back up and running After the low level at Central is back open. Use that line frequently and it must be one of the most unreliable on the whole network, though. Cumbernauld and Greenfaulds stations are also a bit of a pain in the arse to get to from many parts of the town. Certainly wouldn’t say it’s convenient for Cumbernauld based supporters but I suppose we’ve had it relatively easy the past 28 years.

As if it there wasn’t enough at stake next season, it is now even more crucial we get a decent team on the park to keep arses on seats. Crowds this season have been absolutely abysmal and I don’t think anybody can blame those who have found better things to do. I’m not jumping for joy or spinning this as some sort of victory over NLC quite yet. The club need to get this spot on. 

Edited by ScottR96