Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Agree with the above but wouldn’t resign Love or Docherty and I’d swap Page for Elsdon. Still unsure about Gomis If I’d offer him another deal also. 100% we should be doing all we can to sign Jamieson and McAllister.

I’d genuinely forgotten McAllister was a thing. How’s he getting on? I’d imagine you might stand a chance of getting him in the summer as I can’t see us using him.

Parry, Kennedy and McGrath(!) are all on two-year deals, so they'll either be here or amicably departed next season. The big question when it comes to player retentions and releases is a budgetary one; would I have the likes of Love, Rumsby, Docherty, Elsdon, Page at the club on terms around our mean wage? No. Would I take them on terms which were commensurate with a status of rotational/back-up player? Most likely. There are only a few of our players I'd say it's essential that we try to retain for next season and they're Cuddihy, Splaine and Cunningham. You could make an argument for Gomis but time is ticking on for him and he'll be earning quite handsomely; we can probably do better with such a wage. Livingstone has some good games but he's a bit of an in-between player who's not really good enough defensively for a back four and also might struggle as a winger if we were to start playing football again next season. It's shocking that we're looking likely to enter a fourth season in League One and have only half a dozen players, tops, who are average or better players at this level.

Hopefully we can do something to get McAllister and Jamieson back, but you'd imagine they'll both have plenty of admirers among part-time clubs. I can't say I'm looking forward to the summer recruitment commencing whatsoever.

Elsdon lives down south, so I'd be surprised if he wanted to do another season of hauling his arse up to Cumbernauld every weekend to play in League 1.

If he fancied it though, I'd keep him ahead of Page.

Out of the current crop, I'd keep: Parry, JBH, Elsdon, Livingstone, Cuddihy, Cunningham, Gomis, Splaine and Love.

I don't want Kennedy or McGrath but they're signed. Hopefully as mentioned before, they can amicably depart. Docherty has been better than we thought he'd be but are we really going to give him another year? I wouldn't, but I can't see him being a huge earner so wouldn't be too annoyed if he stayed. I'd love to sign LJ and McAllister but I can't see LJ dropping down to L1 for a third season unless it's to a full time team. McAllister may be more realistic unless he wants to have another crack at FT himself.

I really am interested in this summer's recruitment. I think it seems fairly nailed on now that Caplan won't be putting Goodwillie's wages towards other players, so this is the first time in a long time that the manager will have to build a team with that in mind. Maybe this will lead to us signing some good players, as opposed to bottom feeding off of the dross that will be released from the Lowland League.

23 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Elsdon lives down south, so I'd be surprised if he wanted to do another season of hauling his arse up to Cumbernauld every weekend to play in League 1.

If he fancied it though, I'd keep him ahead of Page.

Out of the current crop, I'd keep: Parry, JBH, Elsdon, Livingstone, Cuddihy, Cunningham, Gomis, Splaine and Love.

I don't want Kennedy or McGrath but they're signed. Hopefully as mentioned before, they can amicably depart. Docherty has been better than we thought he'd be but are we really going to give him another year? I wouldn't, but I can't see him being a huge earner so wouldn't be too annoyed if he stayed. I'd love to sign LJ and McAllister but I can't see LJ dropping down to L1 for a third season unless it's to a full time team. McAllister may be more realistic unless he wants to have another crack at FT himself.

I really am interested in this summer's recruitment. I think it seems fairly nailed on now that Caplan won't be putting Goodwillie's wages towards other players, so this is the first time in a long time that the manager will have to build a team with that in mind. Maybe this will lead to us signing some good players, as opposed to bottom feeding off of the dross that will be released from the Lowland League.

Phil Caplin was paying Goodie's wages?

Assuming Clyde paying Raith something towards his reputed £1,500 per/week wages at RR for the loan that never was (not heard further that the loan deal cancelled by mutual agreement by all 3 parties) who is paying the weekly sum to RR? Surely that will be the Club? 

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Phil Caplin was paying Goodie's wages?

Sorry, to be more specific - I was fairly sure that a lot of the money that Caplan supplemented the club with went towards maintaining Goodwillie's wage.

It's also fairly common knowledge at this point that Caplan was one of the investors threatening to pull the plug if we didn't take up the Goodwillie-on-loan option, so I assumed that he would be supplementing the 50% of his RR wage given that amount would have been ballpark what he earned p/w at Clyde.

Obviously I don't have this in black and white, it's just based off of what I assumed was common knowledge from conversations with fellow fans, owners, directors etc.

11 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Sorry, to be more specific - I was fairly sure that a lot of the money that Caplan supplemented the club with went towards maintaining Goodwillie's wage.

It's also fairly common knowledge at this point that Caplan was one of the investors threatening to pull the plug if we didn't take up the Goodwillie-on-loan option, so I assumed that he would be supplementing the 50% of his RR wage given that amount would have been ballpark what he earned p/w at Clyde.

Obviously I don't have this in black and white, it's just based off of what I assumed was common knowledge from conversations with fellow fans, owners, directors etc.

He’s been helping for a long time, whether he paid Goodie’s wage is open to guesswork. Doubt we’d have agreed to take him back on loan for half his weekly RR wage. 

25 minutes ago, JBJ said:

He’s been helping for a long time, whether he paid Goodie’s wage is open to guesswork. Doubt we’d have agreed to take him back on loan for half his weekly RR wage. 

50% is what I've seen bandied about, which makes the decision from the board to go ahead with it all the more mental and makes me think that the money would have to have been supplemented.

I think it's more informed than guesswork. When we originally signed Goodwillie, we didn't have a mass player exit or wage cut in order to fit the extra money p/w in so logic would dictate that the majority of that money would come from an external investor. My guess is that say Caplan invested £10,000 p/a to supplement wages, maybe he increased that investment by a significant amount to accommodate Goodwillie's wage. He leaves to go to Raith in the middle of the season and then we get the chance to bring him back. Now maybe Caplan has an agreement to pay money into the club monthly, so he's maybe demanded that some of his money goes towards 50% of Goodwillie's RR wage (which would already be covered by the money he's agreed to provide) - or he pulls out all of his money/doesn't provide future payments. That then means the club is at panic stations because of the immediate shortfall in finances that it would cause, hence bringing him back.

Either way, his money is involved somehow and the guy is a weird wee loser. At the time, I was an owner. The odd financial nature of the signing and lack of information provided to owners in the first place was one of the (many) reasons I didn't renew ownership.

30 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

50% is what I've seen bandied about, which makes the decision from the board to go ahead with it all the more mental and makes me think that the money would have to have been supplemented.

I think it's more informed than guesswork. When we originally signed Goodwillie, we didn't have a mass player exit or wage cut in order to fit the extra money p/w in so logic would dictate that the majority of that money would come from an external investor. My guess is that say Caplan invested £10,000 p/a to supplement wages, maybe he increased that investment by a significant amount to accommodate Goodwillie's wage. He leaves to go to Raith in the middle of the season and then we get the chance to bring him back. Now maybe Caplan has an agreement to pay money into the club monthly, so he's maybe demanded that some of his money goes towards 50% of Goodwillie's RR wage (which would already be covered by the money he's agreed to provide) - or he pulls out all of his money/doesn't provide future payments. That then means the club is at panic stations because of the immediate shortfall in finances that it would cause, hence bringing him back.

Either way, his money is involved somehow and the guy is a weird wee loser. At the time, I was an owner. The odd financial nature of the signing and lack of information provided to owners in the first place was one of the (many) reasons I didn't renew ownership.

There is nothing personal in what I say here, but this irritates the shyt out of me.

I buy a season ticket and pay my 'ownership' fees in good faith, but due to the 'bowling club' mentality at Clyde I learn all this stuff from a non owner on this, an external forum. 

The Board which leaks like a sieve, is populated by small minded individuals who are inward looking. Their decision making process is difficult to understand and their communication ability absent.

I seriously worry about where we'll be in 14 months time under their expert guidance.

4 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I think there’s still a lot of guesswork in your post. Just because someone mentions something on here doesn’t make it fully credible. I’m sure there’s a lot more to the Goodie saga than has made it on this forum.
I do think that a lot more owners will share your views on Club transparency and communication and perhaps think twice about renewing.

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

There is nothing personal in what I say here, but this irritates the shyt out of me.

I buy a season ticket and pay my 'ownership' fees in good faith, but due to the 'bowling club' mentality at Clyde I learn all this stuff from a non owner on this, an external forum. 

The Board which leaks like a sieve, is populated by small minded individuals who are inward looking. Their decision making process is difficult to understand and their communication ability absent.

I seriously worry about where we'll be in 14 months time under their expert guidance.

Possibly not just the board who leak, players can divulge info to their family and friends who can happily chat away about it.

There’s most likely much more to this than we’ll ever find out. 
It does seem very strange (agree with the decision or not) that the Board would change from not agreeing to take Goodie back, to completely reversing the decision following the possibility of an EGM being called and under pressure from the Club’s main sponsor and as has been reported, Phil Caplin.

What was said to make the Board completely alter their most likely unanimous decision? Simply the withdrawal of financial support? I’m sure the Board would not, should not allow themselves to be dictated to by sponsors.
A reversal which appears to have cost the Club the Financial Director and the Financial Controller who are reported to have resigned over the decision.

Will we ever know the truth? 

How much did RR pay for him?

What net amount did the Club bank?

How much did we agree to contribute towards his RR wages for the loan period, and are we still paying that while he sits at home?

Edited by JBJ

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I agree with this statement    
That’s why I’ve decided to pack it in next season. I can’t see the situation getting much better and while I agree with a lot of the opinions on here regarding player retention etc, how many want to stay at a club who will potentially be homeless and without huge sums of money to spray about. Added to that is the prospect of another dogfight for any possible signings and does DL wish to have the hassle of it all? I can’t see it or how the current set up financially can work long term. 

On 25/03/2022 at 17:38, Ignoramus said:

Knowing the board, he’ll be down as Declan Fitzpatrick on the team lines

Maybe not, but he came on with a different shirt number (10)  than was on the team lines (19).  But he didn't look much like Declan Fitzpatrick.  Was Declan's jersey number 10?