Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

It's pretty clear David Goodwillie will find it difficult to find another senior club in the UK. If he actually wants to keep playing football, he'll have to go abroad.

Pretty unbelievable stuff from Clyde, re-signing him. I had thought recent mentions of him re-signing on loan were poor-taste jokes. Feel sorry for the decent fans amongst the Clyde support to be honest.

5 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Yeah, they could have; I wonder if he’d have to be named specifically on the contract as persona non grata (which he won’t have been). From this tho (and the firm’s name here is…eesh!) it looks like you can terminate a commercial lease in Scotland on 40 days notice - even if that didn’t apply then the council would be within their rights  to simply not renew the lease at renewal date, meaning the club are still getting papped out; just a bit further down the line. 

https://www.clydeco.com/en/insights/2020/09/terminating-leases-in-scotland

I don't think whether they are legally able to do it or not is overly relevant now.  Surely the club aren't going to push it and take legal action to force them to let goodwillie in, as that would just keep this going and embarrass us further.  But then again who knows what they might do.   An all-time low, which as a Clyde fan is saying something.

Even if he can't actually be banned from the stadium legally, if we are to challenge it and then play him then we're definitely not going to be playing at Broadwood anymore when the lease runs out. So come 2023, we'll be looking for another place to go. By that point, Goodwillie will be 34. Assuming we are stupid enough to take him in the summer,  we'll be out of a place to go and have a 34yo striker. Even from a footballing point of view, that clearly is a stupid and braindead move.

2 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Hello, is that EKFC club secretary?  Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hello is that Rutherglen Glencairn's club secretary? Bzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hello is that Shettleston Juniors club secretary?  Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Eh hello, is that Spartak Moscow's club secretary?  Da, hallo Clyde man!

Shettleston Juniors no longer exist, they are now Glasgow Utd. Shame really

2 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

I don't think whether they are legally able to do it or not is overly relevant now.  Surely the club aren't going to push it and take legal action to force them to let goodwillie in, as that would just keep this going and embarrass us further.  But then again who knows what they might do.   An all-time low, which as a Clyde fan is saying something.

F621705A-DF97-4C23-BC9D-93A68CF8D45B.jpeg

46 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I don't disagree with the general gist of your post but my reading of the situation is that the board called it spot on in telling Raith, after their initial approach, that they had no interest in having Goodwillie return to Clyde. The outcome of that approach was then communicated to the Glasgow Branch of Clyde supporters - whether that was the result of a board member or Goodwillie blabbing, I've no idea. Upon finding this out, the Glasgow Branch - in their infinite wisdom - started to make a lot of co-ordinated noise, which then brought an independently wealthy, long-time individual backer (and possibly also a club sponsor too) to allegedly threaten to withdraw all future funding of the club if the board didn't make a U-turn. I don't know the timeline of events, but allegedly there were also concurrent threats made to the board that enough membership numbers would be rallied to call for an EGM and force a vote on the board's future. I'd also be surprised if Danny Lennon wasn't very keen for the deal to be done himself, given his general level of job security at the moment and historical statements on Goodwillie.

As a result of these factors, the board seems to have been left in an almighty pickle with just a couple of days left of the loan window. I'm not even sure the footballing side of things was a consideration for them. Either they a) stuck to their guns and blocked Goodwillie's return, knowing that move would be harmful financially and very possibly result in their own forcible removal as board members or b) acquiesced, and caused the coming shitstorm. The former obviously looks like the much better choice as things stand, but only those with an inside knowledge of the club will know just how catastrophic that option could also have proved. Because of their being forced to choose between two utterly ruinous and high-risk outcomes, I don't apportion the crux of the blame to the board on this one. They get plenty wrong, but this seems like it was a total no-win scenario in terms of the club's health. If there are people with the relevant skills and the requisite affection and time to join the board, then new blood would of course be welcome - but as I alluded to above, those who know Clyde well will know that the club has struggled in terms of attracting or harbouring quality boardroom assets for many years now. That struggle has just become profoundly more biting.  

The board's next move is extremely important. I'm not sure whether their best move would be to be totally transparent about the series of events, but a robust and sincere statement has to come very soon, and it has to categorically state that David Goodwillie will never again play for Clyde FC. What happens with NLC will depend on how relations between the parties have been of late. They definitely improved circa 2018 through to 2020, but I suspect the board's decision to re-evaluate (again!) where the club's future lies has fractured the relationship somewhat even before now. We are in a horribly weak position to negotiate now, but we have to secure our future for the coming years so that we have a foundation from which to rebuild and try to gradually repair some of the seismic damage done to the club's reputation in recent years. When Goodwillie initially moved to Raith Rovers, I thought that this task would be tough to accomplish. It'll take some doing now.

Good and well reasoned post which I defer to. It’s a very sad situation and if Clyde are to proper all that matters is how they his bad situation is dealt with. Heads down doing nothing is not an option. 

would there be any chance of going back to Shawfield or is that a complete non runner?

3 minutes ago, larkyforever said:

That boat has already sailed, with EK now having a Senior club as well as a WOSFL club.

EK has 2 senior clubs, the WOSFL is a senior league.

You'd think someone who claims to be a Larkhall fan would know that they are a senior club in a senior league.

6 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Yeah, they could have; I wonder if he’d have to be named specifically on the contract as persona non grata (which he won’t have been). From this tho (and the firm’s name here is…eesh!) it looks like you can terminate a commercial lease in Scotland on 40 days notice - even if that didn’t apply then the council would be within their rights  to simply not renew the lease at renewal date, meaning the club are still getting papped out; just a bit further down the line. 

https://www.clydeco.com/en/insights/2020/09/terminating-leases-in-scotland

Commercial leases will ordinarily have a longstop date of 6 / 12 months prior to expiry where a renewal, quit or break notice will have to served. 12 months is obviously approaching in May so the council could essentially be issuing a public get him to f**k or you're out warning before actually having to serve notice.

3 minutes ago, larkyforever said:

That boat has already sailed, with EK now having a Senior club as well as a WOSFL club.

Aye but they're both pish and EKFC going nowhere. The EK Community Trust want to build this new stadium but want guaranteed league football in it, bringing Clyde to K-Park for a couple of seasons might be the catalyst for construction to finally begin.

3 minutes ago, drs said:

EK has 2 senior clubs, the WOSFL is a senior league.

You'd think someone who claims to be a Larkhall fan would know that they are a senior club in a senior league.

Yes, I am well aware of that, since we beat EK Thistle 3-2 recently at home only to lose to EK 3-0 a week later in the Challenge Cup. There was a huge gulf in the standard of players at the EK clubs, the latter being able to field ex-Internationals. Keep your patronising comments to yourself.

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Rebrand or new club?

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Rebrand or new club?

Rebrand.

5 minutes ago, support the underdog said:

would there be any chance of going back to Shawfield or is that a complete non runner?

It's been brought up many times over the past decade or so but each feasibility study on it has pretty promptly concluded with a big red cross. I've not seen it for some years now but the stadium is apparently in a profound state of ruin; it was also hardly a spectator's dream when the club first left. There was also chat of a stubborn elderly owner who was digging his heels in and wanting an unbelievable sum for the stadium/accompanying land, but that was a number of years ago now. Cumbernauld was our best shot but we never immersed ourselves as we should've and this latest furore probably serves as the death knell in terms of ever integrating into the town meaningfully. In saying that, we do have a large number of Cumbernauld area fans, but nowhere near as many as we could and should've if run more astutely since 1994.

1 minute ago, larkyforever said:

Yes, I am well aware of that, since we beat EK Thistle 3-2 recently at home only to lose to EK 3-0 a week later in the Challenge Cup. There was a huge gulf in the standard of players at the EK clubs, the latter being able to field ex-Internationals. Keep your patronising comments to yourself.

Nothing patronising about it, your post appeared to claim that EK only had one senior team when it actually has two.

No need to get shirty.

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

It's been brought up many times over the past decade or so but each feasibility study on it has pretty promptly concluded with a big red cross. I've not seen it for some years now but the stadium is apparently in a profound state of ruin; it was also hardly a spectator's dream when the club first left. There was also chat of a stubborn elderly owner who was digging his heels in and wanting an unbelievable sum for the stadium/accompanying land, but that was a number of years ago now. Cumbernauld was our best shot but we never immersed ourselves as we should've and this latest furore probably serves as the death knell in terms of ever integrating into the town meaningfully. In saying that, we do have a large number of Cumbernauld area fans, but nowhere near as many as we could and should've if run more astutely since 1994.

Biggest mistake until now was appointing Alex Smith when you moved to Cumbernauld - his negative brand of football was never going to entice new fans along.