Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Do Clyde train at Broadwood as well as play home matches there?
Yes we do and we deserve everything we get.

Well done to the Glasgow Branch and the sponsor, bunch of fucking morons, and the board for being utterly spineless and bowing to their demands.

You only had to look at the reaction to Raith Rovers to see what was coming.

The only way out now is for Clyde to make a Raith-style apology Tweet confirming that DGW will neither train with nor play for the club. Even avoiding the moral argument, because the club don't seem to have any, trying to beg, steal and borrow stadiums for the rest of his stay is financial suicide.

Take your medicine, Clyde. You fucked up, the bare minimum you can do is apologise and not pick him again.

1 minute ago, John MacLean said:

That small cabal of Clyde fans have placed the future of their club at serious risk. 

I'm struggling to believe a fan base that have a Donald Trump flag, turn out not to be the brightest bunch of folk. Everyday really is a school day.

18 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I can't see him playing for us after this. Unless, of course, someone who chucks in five figures in donations every year demands that Goodwillie plays for Clyde even if it's at Glasgow Green in a Sunday pub league.

I hope the decision will immediately be undertaken to terminate the loan agreement before trying to build bridges with the council. Eviction from Broadwood next year would be the end of us in any meaningful sense, unless some moneybags appeared and wished to finance a stadium for us.

At least you’ll get what you want now. Playing at Shettleston or Rutherglen. 

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

Yes we do and we deserve everything we get.

Well done to the Glasgow Branch and the sponsor, bunch of fucking morons, and the board for being utterly spineless and bowing to their demands.

You only had to look at the reaction to Raith Rovers to see what was coming.

So, you’ll be losing your training facilities and home stadium, have certainly alienated a portion of your own support and have, probably irreparably, damaged the perception of the club in Scottish society, all for a guy who’ll, at most, be able to play in away games without training with the team at all? An absolutely splendid move.

Been saying for years those idiots from the so called Glasgow branch would be the undoing of us. They have and always will be a disgrace to the already tarnished name on Clyde FC.  I wish the councils of every team in our league would take the decision to refuse entry for every single one of the reprobates. Clueless dumb stupid fkn clowns. 

I have no sympathy for Goodwillie, Clyde and Rovers in this situation and I fully accept people’s right or ability to change their minds on an issue. But to the casual observer who will just see the headlines regarding NLC and the Clyde ladies team, it does seem a case of jumping on the outrage bandwagon years too late. 

28 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Shambles all round. I’m genuinely interested with this. Why did it not go to criminal court?

IIRC the CPS PF didn't believe that the case would be successful.

ETA: From this article the CPS said there was insufficient evidence to bring the case to court and days later charges were dropped.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/courts/2867958/goodwillie-civil-rapist/

Denise Clair in her recent interview with the Sunday Post mentioned the dropping of the charges and how that left her feeling:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/david-goodwillie-criminal-case/

Edited by RiG

You do feel a bit for Clyde, it's not like there's any precedent of all the misery that can befall your club if you choose to sign a rapist

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Shambles all round. I’m genuinely interested with this. Why did it not go to criminal court?

The conviction rates for sexual crimes is horrifically low. Very few of them make it to court, even less of them result in conviction.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Not really down with the legal detail but bizarre that he can be found guilty in one court but not the other.

Not really as he did not stand trial in a criminal court.

In criminal case it has to be proven beyond all reasonable doubt. In a civil case I think it is just the balance of probabilities.

Edited by FuzzyBear

The why-not-five-years ago argument is a red herring. That's not to say it's not a reasonable question in and of itself, but the circumstance now is different to the one five years back - or even five weeks back. Like someone said above, landscapes change, and that means behaviour has to be viewed in the context of that landscape. So sign him right at this moment in time, in the teeth of the publicity, is a quite deliberate choice and statement and a deliberate f**k you to victims of sexual violence over and above the prior history.

With apologies to the Clyde fans on here - at least, the ones who matter - I'm afraid my first reaction to this news was, get in. But in fairness to me I'm equally indifferent to the fate of Raith, who I've been following to some extent for forty years. The fate and wellbeing of my football club is not more important to me than the state of society.