Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

10 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

The same people who celebrated his goals and said nothing for 5 years? 

Spare me the righteous indignation from hypocrites. 

I backed him for 5 years and I'm not going to stop because 1 sponsor and a couple of headlines.

You shouldn't stop because of a sponsor and a couple of headlines. You should stop because he raped somebody. 

12 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

The same people who celebrated his goals and said nothing for 5 years? 

Spare me the righteous indignation from hypocrites. 

I backed him for 5 years and I'm not going to stop because 1 sponsor and a couple of headlines.

Ignorance it is then. 

Just now, SLClyde said:

Ignorance it is then. 

Hypocrisy it is. 

I'd say from the comments around social media the majority of people are happy to let Goodie get on with his life, shame so called clyde fans can't. 

Will you still be attending games? 

I understand your points and thank you for stating them in a calm and reasonable way. That said, I disagree with the thrust of your argument.
You say that this was an opportunity for Clyde to demonstrate that we now understand the seriousness of the situation, thus implying that it was not seen as particularly serious/potentially damaging first time around. I think the board have always been acutely aware of how serious this situation is and how divisive it has the potential to be and took the decision to employ Goodwillie despite that. The very detailed explanation centering around rehabilitation and our role within that when he first signed showed the club had not taken the decision lightly.
To not re-sign him now (on loan or otherwise) would be tantamount to admitting they were wrong to employ him in the first instance. I don't believe they were wrong then and, therefore, don't believe they are wrong now. For some to say it was basically ok then but not now given the Raith situation/media backlash seems more about PR than morals. 

Things have moved on significantly in the 5 years since he signed with the Me Too movement etc. Goodwillie playing for Clyde had largely went on the radar but that will not be the case now. Its insane for the board to see what has happened at Raith Rovers and be happy to bring down the shitstorm of bad press and media attention on the club.

Goodwillie will also be 33 this month and missing more and more games each season. Getting him off the wage bill and receiving a transfer fee was a great chance of building a much better balanced squad. Instead we will be back to an aging Goodwillie hovering up most of the playing budget with the rest of the squad padded out with players that wouldn't look out of place in the Lowland league.

5 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Hypocrisy it is. 

I'd say from the comments around social media the majority of people are happy to let Goodie get on with his life, shame so called clyde fans can't. 

Will you still be attending games? 

If the majority of posts you’ve read are positive, you’ve only read what you want to read. 

In terms of games, I’ve been to 2 this season and don’t see that changing in the near future. 

9 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

If the majority of posts you’ve read are positive, you’ve only read what you want to read. 

In terms of games, I’ve been to 2 this season and don’t see that changing in the near future. 

So you didn't celebrate Clyde's promotion which was massively helped by goodie? 

For the record I read the comments under negative posts such as Sturgeons. Yes there are two camps on this issue but to allow the media and politcians to dictate our transfer policy over the fans, owners and sponsors would have been cowardly.  

'So called Clyde fan' here. Said it a while back on the Raith thread I wouldn't know whether to go back if he returned. Stopped going when they first signed him but talked myself into going back this year. Was over the moon when he buggered off. Thought about it since yesterday & I'm off. WIsh Clyde all the best but I won't be giving them another penny.

8 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

'So called Clyde fan' here. Said it a while back on the Raith thread I wouldn't know whether to go back if he returned. Stopped going when they first signed him but talked myself into going back this year. Was over the moon when he buggered off. Thought about it since yesterday & I'm off. WIsh Clyde all the best but I won't be giving them another penny.

At least that's a principled stand to take and while I might disagree with the reasoning I have respect for you standing by your decision. 

I have no respect for those who change their opinion on goodie depending on what's in the papers that week. 

3 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Genuinely interested and not looking for a debate/argument but what made you talk yourself into going back this year timing wise? I have a couple of mates (not Clyde fans) who had been regular attenders at their teams games for years but fell out of love with it (still supported their teams obviously, just didn't go to games anymore) however when games went behind closed doors due to covid it made them realise that when things went back to normal they couldn't wait to get back to games as you never know when the last time you are able to watch your team could be.

46 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Just checking that you’re happy to host the games in your back garden when that sponsor kicks us to the curb?

Just checking, should our landlord dictate our transfer policy? 

Edited by BullyWee Craig

1 hour ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Massive well done to the board for listening to the majority of fans and sponsors who backed this move to bring Goodie home. 

The easiest decision would have been to turn our backs on him but that's not the Clyde way. 

This man has saved our club and those who celebrated his goals but now cower in fear over headlines should hang their heads in shame. 

We got our legend back 🇾🇪🇾🇪🇾🇪🇾🇪

We're all aware what the Clyde way is now. 

2 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Just checking, should our landlord dictate our transfer policy? 

I don’t think our transfer policy matters a great deal when you don’t have anywhere for them to play tbh

12 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

At least that's a principled stand to take and while I might disagree with the reasoning I have respect for you standing by your decision. 

I have no respect for those who change their opinion on goodie depending on what's in the papers that week. 

Quite a lot has changed actually and not just what is in the papers.  Most despicably of all we now have a group who hero-worship and defend Goodwillie both on messageboards and at games.  That is quite different to letting a guy play football for the worst team in Scotland (which at the time seemed like more humiliation and some small punishment for his actions).

What has also changed is a lot of people going back and seeing exactly what happened at the time and re-considering whether we should ever have signed him. Let's not forget this all came back in the media because he thought he could make a bit of money and didn't give a f**k what impact it would have on anyone else.

What has also happened is the realisation that the club is being run by people without a backbone who will let the club be shamed nationally under pressure from a few individuals.

Now you can pretend you are the one taking a principled stand if you are comfortable with all the above if you want but perfectly reasonable for others to view differently.

3 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

Quite a lot has changed actually and not just what is in the papers.  Most despicably of all we now have a group who hero-worship and defend Goodwillie both on messageboards and at games.  That is quite different to letting a guy play football for the worst team in Scotland (which at the time seemed like more humiliation and some small punishment for his actions).

What has also changed is a lot of people going back and seeing exactly what happened at the time and re-considering whether we should ever have signed him. Let's not forget this all came back in the media because he thought he could make a bit of money and didn't give a f**k what impact it would have on anyone else.

What has also happened is the realisation that the club is being run by people without a backbone who will let the club be shamed nationally under pressure from a few individuals.

Now you can pretend you are the one taking a principled stand if you are comfortable with all the above if you want but perfectly reasonable for others to view differently.

Metoo started in 2017 around the time we signed Goodie, it's not that much a difference to how it's viewed now. 

Take Val Mcdermit out this equation and I think he would be playing at Raith. 

Do we just punish someone who has never been found guilty for the rest of his life? 

In defence of the board I wouldn't describe taking this decision as spineless, the easy option was to take the money and run. They were pushed into listening to fans and sponsors but they made the tough decision in the end. 

1 minute ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Metoo started in 2017 around the time we signed Goodie, it's not that much a difference to how it's viewed now. 

Take Val Mcdermit out this equation and I think he would be playing at Raith. 

Do we just punish someone who has never been found guilty for the rest of his life? 

In defence of the board I wouldn't describe taking this decision as spineless, the easy option was to take the money and run. They were pushed into listening to fans and sponsors but they made the tough decision in the end. 

Making tough decisions is easy. Getting them right is the hard part.