Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

4 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

It wasn't in the judge's summary so i'm doubtful it happened. 

Checked it, not as I remembered, but pub security advised Robertson to call her an ambulance. He said he knew her and would take her home.

It was in the Sun, so I'm not linking it. I'm sure it'll be reported elsewhere.

It's in various testimonies that they said they were taking her home.

Instead they took her to a friends flat and raped her.

Here is the nightclub bouncers statement. Imagine that was your daughter 

At the end of the night a purse is found in the club and passed to Ms McGregor. She is told the owner has just left before going to the main doors to find her and return her purse. There, she finds Ms Clair, without shoes, slumped behind the door.

She continues: “As I approached the front door, the right and left door swing out to open them. Mick had the right side of the door swung open. This lassie was standing being held up by the corner of the closed left-hand door next to Mick.

“He wasn’t holding her. This lassie was slumped like she had put all her body weight on it like she was jammed standing up. When I got down I put my arm around the back of her under both armpits so that I could hold and stand her up to see if she could stand up for herself.

“She was initially like a dead weight when I tried to help her up off the door so she was hard to lift off the door.

“She never had her shoes on. The first thing I said to her was ‘are you OK?’, as to me she looked like she had just collapsed. Her eyes were open but they were rolling about her head.

“There was no one with her but I could see two guys [Robertson and Goodwillie] standing over at the wall at the entrance to the court yard. I didn’t even get the impression initially that they were with this girl.”

The steward goes on: “I was trying to get the name out of this female and where she stayed but she couldn’t speak. She was like jelly the way she was trying to stand. She was completely different from the time in the toilet. I thought to myself that I was concerned this girl had had more than alcohol.

“In my time as a bouncer I have become well tuned in to how drunk people behave but she was different. She couldn’t have bit her nails if she wanted to. She was come across as possibly, in my opinion, under the influence of some type of drug that took her control away. It was strange because she was like jelly then would jump up and have some sort of control over her body then go back to being like jelly and out of control.

“I was asking her loads of questions. I was asking how much she had drank. She couldn’t answer me, she wasn’t even trying to string a sentence together. She was just looking straight through me or her eyes were up in her head. She wasn’t even slurring her words because she couldn’t even speak.

“She had absolutely no control when she was in the ‘jelly’ phase. When people are so drunk they still try and speak even if some it is slurred and mashed up. It was like she was on another planet and I wasn’t there, this is why I know this wasn’t just alcohol.

“I thought they [Robertson and Goodwillie] had come to get her from the club as they both seemed sober plus I hadn’t seen or recognised them from inside. I even gave this guy [Robertson] advice on how to look after the lassie if she was sick or lapsed into unconsciousness.

“I had even told this guy that she needed to go to hospital cause she needed to seek medical help due to her condition. This male was continually insistent she would be OK and it was just alcohol but no danger is that just alcohol. He promised he would take her home and would stay with her all night.

“I told him if she was lapsing out of consciousness or he couldn’t wake her up to dial 999. That’s how concerned I was.

“He kept saying he would stay with her all night and that he would take her home. He even said ‘She is my best mate. I wouldn’t let anything happen to her’. The other guy at the wall kept saying ‘come on, get your purse and come on’. He never moved from the wall. He was just trying to get the girl to hurry up.

“Police have asked me if, in my opinion, when the female left, could she have given consent to anything or sexual contact of any form. I can 100% say there is no way on this earth could that lassie have consented to anything, never mind any sexual contact or intercourse.

“Even when she was fluctuating in and out from her jelly stage to a form of control, she still could not have given consent. She wouldn’t have, and couldn’t have, understood what was being said or going on because she couldn’t with me when I tried to help her. She couldn’t even consent to peeling a tattie.

“Anyone who tried to have sexual contact or intercourse with the lassie in that state is a monster and abusing her rights.

“No self-respecting decent human being would believe they had full consent to have sex with her in the condition she left Chalmers in.

“I never heard these males or her discuss where they intended going. I assumed they were taking her straight home because that is what he told me he would do.

“I feel terrible now that I let that lassie go with the two guys. I feel like I let her down as I her go with someone and I know something sexual has now happened to her after she left. I feel awful. I wish I had got her medical attention or made sure she was safe.”

She concludes: “I am happy to be a witness in this case and the views expressed are my own opinion. I know I am not a medical expert but I have a good reputation with my employers about my judgment and experience of these situations from life experience.”

48 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

What's your source?

43 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

It wasn't in the judge's summary so i'm doubtful it happened. 

Ah, you're back to troll this thread about a rapist, after trolling the Raith thread about a rapist.

I can't possibly imagine what your motivation to disbelieve a rape victim might be. 

Ah, you're back to troll this thread about a rapist, after trolling the Raith thread about a rapist.
I can't possibly imagine what your motivation to disbelieve a rape victim might be. 

Long may it continue. It keeps him out our thread.

I don't post in here often these days. It is a mixture of bile, trolls and frankly little about football, however yesterday's decision is worthy of one comment.

My position when he originally joined us was to accept the explanation of giving someone a second chance. For 4 years or so he appeared to be living up to that trust. 

By engineering the move away recently we should have recognised our part in this process was finished, and anyone who did not see/hear/appreciate the outcry off the back of Raith signing him is either deaf or very foolish. Clyde FC should not in my opinion have given another chance.

There is always the temptation in P&B to exaggerate as it helps to get the opinion heard, so I hope in this case I am indeed exaggerating when I say this decision could be looked back upon in hindsight as the beginning of the end for us as a league club.

Anyone involved in business decisions should know and understand the risk of a decision. It looks to me as if those who have taken this decision have not weighed that up correctly and may well face a backlash that really harms our club. DGW will have wandered off into the sunset in a couple of years leaving behind a serious problem in his wake (again). Clyde FC will then have to build a team without him, so why not do it now.

Perhaps another risky decision at the other end of Europe will overshadow this for a wee while, but if we offer a permanent contract in the summer it will all kick off again.

Genuinely astounded we have gone down this road, and some involved may have to look back on this with regret. Again, my opinion but this was an opportunity to send a message having recognised the seriousness of the situation. We have missed it.

Separately, and not to take away from the seriousness of the main subject, I see John Mason has tweeted he will not attend any more games gain THIS SEASON. That is exactly what he did last time, and then he wandered back to his seat, so he is so upset as a government employee about violence against females he stays away for a few weeks, then returns. Nothing like a good opportunity to try and grab a few extra votes. 

40 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I don't post in here often these days. It is a mixture of bile, trolls and frankly little about football, however yesterday's decision is worthy of one comment.

My position when he originally joined us was to accept the explanation of giving someone a second chance. For 4 years or so he appeared to be living up to that trust. 

By engineering the move away recently we should have recognised our part in this process was finished, and anyone who did not see/hear/appreciate the outcry off the back of Raith signing him is either deaf or very foolish. Clyde FC should not in my opinion have given another chance.

There is always the temptation in P&B to exaggerate as it helps to get the opinion heard, so I hope in this case I am indeed exaggerating when I say this decision could be looked back upon in hindsight as the beginning of the end for us as a league club.

Anyone involved in business decisions should know and understand the risk of a decision. It looks to me as if those who have taken this decision have not weighed that up correctly and may well face a backlash that really harms our club. DGW will have wandered off into the sunset in a couple of years leaving behind a serious problem in his wake (again). Clyde FC will then have to build a team without him, so why not do it now.

Perhaps another risky decision at the other end of Europe will overshadow this for a wee while, but if we offer a permanent contract in the summer it will all kick off again.

Genuinely astounded we have gone down this road, and some involved may have to look back on this with regret. Again, my opinion but this was an opportunity to send a message having recognised the seriousness of the situation. We have missed it.

Separately, and not to take away from the seriousness of the main subject, I see John Mason has tweeted he will not attend any more games gain THIS SEASON. That is exactly what he did last time, and then he wandered back to his seat, so he is so upset as a government employee about violence against females he stays away for a few weeks, then returns. Nothing like a good opportunity to try and grab a few extra votes. 

I understand your points and thank you for stating them in a calm and reasonable way. That said, I disagree with the thrust of your argument.

You say that this was an opportunity for Clyde to demonstrate that we now understand the seriousness of the situation, thus implying that it was not seen as particularly serious/potentially damaging first time around. I think the board have always been acutely aware of how serious this situation is and how divisive it has the potential to be and took the decision to employ Goodwillie despite that. The very detailed explanation centering around rehabilitation and our role within that when he first signed showed the club had not taken the decision lightly.

To not re-sign him now (on loan or otherwise) would be tantamount to admitting they were wrong to employ him in the first instance. I don't believe they were wrong then and, therefore, don't believe they are wrong now. For some to say it was basically ok then but not now given the Raith situation/media backlash seems more about PR than morals. 

Edited by RutherGlen

11 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

I'm going to leave this here, just so its clear what kind of opinions will get you a ban

Can we also send that c***s IP address to the polis? Extremely worrying patter. 

11 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Agree with this

Footballers should be looked at for what they do on the park

Like you never understood why they should be seen as role models

As across all industries and sectors you are going to have people you would look up to and those you wouldnt

Kids literally went and shaved that stupid Ronaldo haircut into their heads all over the world in 2002. David Beckham has quite literally set trends among young males. More recently, Jack Grealish has seen his style taken up by millions as well. You might think its not a good idea to idolise footballers, and I tend to agree with you there, but the fact is wee boys want to look and be like the stars that play for their teams. It's utterly moronic to say otherwise. 

Massive well done to the board for listening to the majority of fans and sponsors who backed this move to bring Goodie home. 

The easiest decision would have been to turn our backs on him but that's not the Clyde way. 

This man has saved our club and those who celebrated his goals but now cower in fear over headlines should hang their heads in shame. 

We got our legend back 🇾🇪🇾🇪🇾🇪🇾🇪

32 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I understand your points and thank you for stating them in a calm and reasonable way. That said, I disagree with the thrust of your argument.

You say that this was an opportunity for Clyde to demonstrate that we now understand the seriousness of the situation, thus implying that it was not seen as particularly serious/potentially damaging first time around. I think the board have always been acutely aware of how serious this situation is and how divisive it has the potential to be and took the decision to employ Goodwillie despite that. The very detailed explanation centering around rehabilitation and our role within that when he first signed showed the club had not taken the decision lightly.

To not re-sign him now (on loan or otherwise) would be tantamount to admitting they were wrong to employ him in the first instance. I don't believe they were wrong then and, therefore, don't believe they are wrong now. For some to say it was basically ok then but not now given the Raith situation/media backlash seems more about PR than morals. 

A previous Chairman (who has since supposedly tried to demand money from the club for a different matter) gave a statement in completely different circumstances.  

Regardless of anyone's views on goodwillie and whether he should play football, the Current Board need to explain to owners why they took the decision,  whether they were pressured into it and what they intend to do to offset the massive negative reaction it was inevitably going to cause.

Quite seperate to whether DGW should he playing anywhere we need to know who actually runs this club and what they are doing to address the key long-term problems we have, i.e  being able ot put a decent team on the park and build a bigger fanbase.  Signing DGW does very little for the former (every other player is garbage) and good luck at pretending to be a community club after this.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What might Clyde do today?

Announce a pre-season friendly against CSKA Moscow? Host the reformed Lanarkshire Fox Hunting Club?

Sign the trialist keeper that conceded 9 in the Glasgow Cup last night.

21 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Massive well done to the board for listening to the majority of fans and sponsors who backed this move to bring Goodie home. 

The easiest decision would have been to turn our backs on him but that's not the Clyde way. 

This man has saved our club and those who celebrated his goals but now cower in fear over headlines should hang their heads in shame. 

If you think people are worried just about headlines, you either don’t have an understanding of the full extent of the situation, or are so ignorant to it you don’t care.

A genuinely unbelievable post. 

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

If you think people are worried just about headlines, you either don’t have an understanding of the full extent of the situation, or are so ignorant to it you don’t care.

A genuinely unbelievable post. 

The same people who celebrated his goals and said nothing for 5 years? 

Spare me the righteous indignation from hypocrites. 

I backed him for 5 years and I'm not going to stop because 1 sponsor and a couple of headlines.

29 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What might Clyde do today?

Announce a pre-season friendly against CSKA Moscow? Host the reformed Lanarkshire Fox Hunting Club?

They are capable of anything. Never thought I would ever say that a club was worse than the Blue Scum in Glasgow. 

30 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Scum. He is utter scum.

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3

2 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

I backed him for 5 years and I'm not going to stop because 1 sponsor and a couple of headlines.

Just checking that you’re happy to host the games in your back garden when that sponsor kicks us to the curb?

2 minutes ago, BullyWee Craig said:

Says everything about your moral compass.

1 hour ago, RutherGlen said:

Second and final post on this.

Having an opinion on this does not mean I am right and you are wrong, nor vice versa.

Firstly on the point about admitting we (the club) were wrong initially. The world is not as black & white as that, sometimes it is just changing times, changing circumstances and time to reflect. History is littered with examples of individuals or groups reassessing their position over time, to not do so would be severe stubborness. There are times in life when you look around and see the scale of the difference of opinion and maybe just have to accept you got it wrong.

Secondly, with regard to Risk.

If your version of the future turns out to be the one closest to what actually happens, then the upside is we get a very good footballer for another 2 years, and then we have to build a different team. In that two years he may well be the catalyst for keeping us in League 1 and we avoid the financial meltdown of relegation.

If however, my attitude to risk turns out to be closer, and we suffer the downside of

a. loss of income from sponsors

b. loss of income from away fans staying away

c. some players not wanting to sign for us whilst he is on our books

d. some of our own fans stay away more often

e. NLC being more difficult landlords

and then we will have to build a different team in 2 years anyway, but by that time be in even more difficult circumstances.

For that reason alone, without debating anything else, the risk is not worth taking.