Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

3 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Assuming one of the sponsors is that weird wee Rod Stewart wannabe Phil Caplan. He’s for the watching an’all.

Aye he’s one of them. Is sponsor the right word to describe his involvement or is it donations he makes?

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

No sponsor will want bad publicity, NLL will only be the start. 

How anyone who is seeing what is going on tonight and say they are delighted he is back really are beyond me. 

This is a disaster for the long term future of the club, make no mistake. 

Thing is, NLL/NLC aren't even listed as club "partners" (sponsors) on the website. Per their statement, NLL no longer operates Broadwood and their main shirt sponsorship of us was only in effect last season. To me this can only mean a review of our tenancy agreement at Broadwood, which could end up in complete and utter catastrophe. 

You're right though, I'm hoping there will be some way out of this dreadful mess but the plaque bestowing our reputation as pariahs of the Scottish game - if not already handsomely secured - has had a few more emphatic nails hammered into it today. It's absolutely crazy that nobody saw how lucky Goodwillie and Clyde were prior to his Raith signing; this was a genuine opportunity to move on and gradually repair our reputation. That chance is now completely gone, because of the comically narrow-minded and short-term thinking of a worryingly large group of individuals.

If NLL are reviewing things, how watertight is the agreement with them to use Broadwood?

Most of the mouth pieces who supported this will be happy to see us playing at a junior park in shettleston or similar anyway. It will be painted as all NLC’s fault as they sing and cheer on our rapist captain for another season and a half till he retires.

I try not to give our board a hard time with things as they are mostly fans who volunteer but f**k me, they’ve made a rip roaring c**t of this full thing. NLL wanting to cut ties is only the start. 

If it is true that one or two sponsors threatened to walk if we didn’t sign him then the short sightedness on the part of the board is shameful. The long term financial disaster that will follow this will cost us far more than the aforementioned will be putting into the club.

This club do their best to destroy the bond between fans and club far too often.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

5 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Can you imagine if we were forced out of Broadwood and had to find a new home.

Which Council, sponsor, corporate partner or potential ground sharer would touch us with a shitty stick?

What are the Keans up to these days? A name change might actually now be a great thing for us given what we've allowed to happen to the current one.

27 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I'm sure the tone deaf idiots will step up and fill the financial void that will be created by NLL ending commercial partnerships. No doubt other sponsors will come under pressure.

For example, Caplan won't want bad publicity for sponsoring the team that employs Goodwillie.

Some of our supporters thought the furore would only last a couple of days.

It really is incredible how stupid some folk are. I'm haufdaft but I could see this coming a mile away.

Caplan has given his thoughts on the owners forum via some "intermediary" in the last few days.  If you are an owner it is on page 2 of the "would you have DGW back" thread.  Given it is a private forum, I won't be posting what he said but thought I'd mention it.

25 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Unfortunately, as I understand it this is true. I don't know of the second entity but one is an individual who's been a considerable and long-time sponsor of Clyde. It would appear that the board has had to relent here under financial pressure from said sponsors (though who knows how our other ones will all feel now), and also under threat from fans vowing to push for an EGM if Goodwillie's return wasn't secured. We all know how easy it would be for large-scale regime change at the club given our ownership structure, and we all know the sort of characters that would be sniffing around to replace the current board. In this regard, I do have sympathy for the current custodians whose choice appeared to become a toss-up between signing Goodwillie and facing financial and structural crises that would destabilise the club's future - immediate and potentially long-term - enormously.

In spite of this, I think the board should've held firm and stuck to their guns. The present - and coming - shitstorm was an inevitability, and quite why the "Goodwillie Legend" brigade thought this wouldn't do serious damage to the club this time around is completely and utterly unfathomable. NLC are now tweeting that they will review "all commercial partnership arrangements" with the club, which is really quite an ominous message given they're not even a club partner. There are folk on Twitter aggressively tweeting the rest of our sponsors, and even digging deep enough to find people who own or are involved with said sponsors to ask for their views.

I'm dismayed at how all of this has played out. It's entirely possible that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg so far today. All this just to placate a number of people with a massive hard-on for a 32-year-old striker who recently demanded a move away from the club they're supposedly diehard supporters of. Deary me. 

Great post. If true I do understand and sympathise with the catch 22 this brings but this is a terrible decision and one that in the short time might secure League One, which probably would have happened anyway, but in the long term destroys the fading credibility of this famous club.

If this club is to survive and that is an open question so mismanaged and poorly directed has it been for at least 30 years it needs a complete reboot with a strong brand rebuilding, clear leadership and outside your manager you have none, and direction. I am totally unconvinced your Board have any credibility at all. 

Clearly there is no point firing people without better alternatives but frankly this decision is so obviously divisive, wrong and brand damaging I don’t know where to start.

tragic.

Imagine being so obsessed with a 32 year old rapist c**t who honestly isn't even that good of a footballer that you threaten to withdraw financial support if he isn't brought back. You'd think it was Kylian Mbappe that we were talking about here with the way these rape apologists are willing to completely f**k up the future of our club just to have him here. 

Honestly, after all this club has been through with going into debt in 2004, dropping all the way down to the bottom tier of Scottish football, the constant battles of trying to find a new stadium, potentially moving to East Kilbride and changing our name because we were in such a bad place and then finally getting out of debt and putting all those things behind us, a few rape apologists want to bring this club back down into those dark times. That's exactly what's gonna happen when sponsors won't go anywhere near us and I hope them and the Clyde board are happy with their decision. 

23 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Very noticeably the supporters of this signing have gone quiet very quickly. 

The true reaction of the signing will be when he plays his first game rather than comments on an online forum

Though to be fair the number of comment on here today will probably be the same as the number of fans at the first game

27 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Most of the mouth pieces who supported this will be happy to see us playing at a junior park in shettleston or similar anyway. It will be painted as all NLC’s fault as they sing and cheer on our rapist captain for another season and a half till he retires.

I was going to say you can go and play at Caley Braves' soulless cage as it's right next to the River Clyde, but I think NL own that as well. Airdrie's stadium is a bit full, you're left with EK or Hamilton?