Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Alan having a normal one here I see.

Defending a rapist and using Griffiths as the whataboutery to try and make his point valid, when Griffiths is not a sex offender at any level. Odd hill to die on.

Also totally avoided the question asked of, if he would argue the same way if it was his daughter. Although I doubt he has kids. VL.

Goodwillie is a beast mate.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Our 2 biggest sponsors had withdrew from funding the club because the board were refusing to allow him to return. FACT.

I’d like to see proof of this because it seems entirely unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Alan having a normal one here I see.

Defending a rapist and using Griffiths as the whataboutery to try and make his point valid, when Griffiths is not a sex offender at any level. Odd hill to die on.

Also totally avoided the question asked of, if he would argue the same way if it was his daughter. Although I doubt he has kids. VL.

Goodwillie is a beast mate.

Thank you.

Aye but has he been found guilty of being a VL iN a CoUrT oF lAw?

57 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Given Clyde's main shirt sponsor is in a roundabout way North Lanarkshire Council I think council tax payers in North Lanakrshire should be challenging this.

Before the usualy rape apologists jump in with the 'what about the previous 5 years' argument. As someone who's recently bought a house in the council area the previous 5 years don't apply to the sentiments above.

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Did I say Griffiths was done for it scumbag. He was accused of it. Thomson was convicted. Get yourself on the cowdenbeath page and say the same things or I will know that you are just a loudmouth wedgie scumbag that knows f**k all about anything.

Do yourself a favour and get a life

13x20 bullied nerd GIF - Find on GIFER

13 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

I’d like to see proof of this because it seems entirely unlikely. 

Unfortunately, as I understand it this is true. I don't know of the second entity but one is an individual who's been a considerable and long-time sponsor of Clyde. It would appear that the board has had to relent here under financial pressure from said sponsors (though who knows how our other ones will all feel now), and also under threat from fans vowing to push for an EGM if Goodwillie's return wasn't secured. We all know how easy it would be for large-scale regime change at the club given our ownership structure, and we all know the sort of characters that would be sniffing around to replace the current board. In this regard, I do have sympathy for the current custodians whose choice appeared to become a toss-up between signing Goodwillie and facing financial and structural crises that would destabilise the club's future - immediate and potentially long-term - enormously.

In spite of this, I think the board should've held firm and stuck to their guns. The present - and coming - shitstorm was an inevitability, and quite why the "Goodwillie Legend" brigade thought this wouldn't do serious damage to the club this time around is completely and utterly unfathomable. NLC are now tweeting that they will review "all commercial partnership arrangements" with the club, which is really quite an ominous message given they're not even a club partner. There are folk on Twitter aggressively tweeting the rest of our sponsors, and even digging deep enough to find people who own or are involved with said sponsors to ask for their views.

I'm dismayed at how all of this has played out. It's entirely possible that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg so far today. All this just to placate a number of people with a massive hard-on for a 32-year-old striker who recently demanded a move away from the club they're supposedly diehard supporters of. Deary me. 

This is the email I've just sent to the club.

I don't plan to stop going to games but will not support the club financially beyond the basic price of my season ticket (however small a gesture of protest that may be).

I can actually understand (though don't necessarily agree with) the arguments for saying he should be allowed to continue playing football, with no criminal record. I'll leave it to people more qualified and knowledgeable than me to debate that (unfortunately, most of the people who like to debate it are braindead morons).

However, I can't see any way, on the balance of all matters, that re-signing David Goodwillie is a good idea for Clyde. I'm genuinely shocked the club have been this stupid.

Good Evening,

I am a Clyde season ticket holder of over 20 years and I am writing to express my frustration, consternation, and anger at your decision to re-sign David Goodwillie.

There are many varied and complex arguments about the merit of David Goodwillie continuing to play professional football, most of which don't actually interest me a great deal. What does interest me is the reputation of Clyde FC which you have once again decided to drag through the mud (to put it mildly).

Yes, David Goodwillie has clearly played for us for most of the last 5 years but the current landscape is completely different to what it was both when we originally signed him and compared to just a few months ago.

How you all could have sat and watched the daily, nationwide, negative news coverage of his move to Raith Rovers and still think it was a good idea to let him rejoin the club is staggering beyond belief.

It is, unfortunately, just another poor decision in a long line of poor decisions by the board, and poor decision is putting it very kindly.

You then compound this by releasing the news with the meakest, most empty, pathetically short statement on the club website.

The board did not have any proper fan consultation over this clearly controversial move. I am a season ticket holder and member and yet I have received zero communication about this (excuses of database issues do not cut it).
This is all on top of a culture of zero communication and shooting down anyone who questions the board.

Year in, year out, I have donated to the club through straight donations, the Bully Wee fund, the club lottery, 1877 Rewards, by buying merchandise and just about any other scheme the club has been involved in.
That stops now.
I will not give the club any additional funding while David Goodwillie is at the club, or any of the current board are still involved at the club in any way. I have already cancelled all direct debits to the club.

The one exception to that will be that I shall keep my club membership, sorry "ownership", going in order to vote against the re-election of every current board member for the remainder of their tenure at the club.

The club, and in particular the members of the board, are going to receive massive, vocal criticism for the foreseeable future. You deserve everything you get and will receive no sympathy for it. 
I note that an MSP has already written an open letter to the club and look forward to the clubs response (by which I mean, I fully expect the board to shy away from it and hope it goes away itself).

If you had any decency you would be following Raith Rovers example of publicly admitting your mistake and saying that David Goodwillie will not play for the club. You should then go further and tender your resignations from the board at Clyde. You are not fit to run my club.

I genuinely didn't believe you would be stupid enough to do this, to try your best to destroy what was left of the reputation of the club I love. Alas, my already pitifully low estimation of the Board of Clyde FC was still far too high.

Please reconsider your actions immediately.

Regards,

Edited by Jaggy Snake

But our sponsors said they’d walk away if we didn’t sign him? 

We really are brain dead. 

I'm sure the tone deaf idiots will step up and fill the financial void that will be created by NLL ending commercial partnerships. No doubt other sponsors will come under pressure.

For example, Caplan won't want bad publicity for sponsoring the team that employs Goodwillie.

Some of our supporters thought the furore would only last a couple of days.

It really is incredible how stupid some folk are. I'm haufdaft but I could see this coming a mile away.

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

A start would be him showing literally any remorse whatsoever. 

To my mind it’s a matter for the court and those involved. I believe the court case has concluded and the requirement of the court has been met.

I wouldn’t want him playing for my club and I understand the concerns but I at the same timeI understand that I have no real right to that opinion. It’s none of my business, only the business of the parties involved and the matter is closed.

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

Given Clyde's main shirt sponsor is in a roundabout way North Lanarkshire Council I think council tax payers in North Lanakrshire should be challenging this.

Before the usualy rape apologists jump in with the 'what about the previous 5 years' argument. As someone who's recently bought a house in the council area the previous 5 years don't apply to the sentiments above.

No sponsor will want bad publicity, NLL will only be the start. 

How anyone who is seeing what is going on tonight and say they are delighted he is back really are beyond me. 

This is a disaster for the long term future of the club, make no mistake.