Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

A part time club shouldn't be signing someone "for the future" and farming them out on loan either never mind 3-4 players. It's a complete waste of time and money. The likes of Cassidy, McCormack, McGrath and Andrew will never be first team regulars for us and would be suprised if they are anywhere else in the SPFL in their careers either. 

There's talk about the budget cuts but it'd probably still be a half decent budget if we don't waste a fair bit of it retaining shite players. 

Edited by CM.

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I'm not sure about the young manager thing.

Barry Ferguson? Colin Hendry?

If given a choice I'd always go for experience. However, I think it's important to decide the style of play you want before selecting a manager. I don't really fancy a Jim Duffy type.

For what it's worth, I'd extend Danny's contact but we cannot keep praising him for making an average team while condemning him for the dreadful players he recruits.

Player recruitment is so important at this level. Coaching bad players well is a poor substitute for good player selection.

How about we coach decent players well?

Well that's why, if we do hire a young manager, they have to have had a real background in coaching.

Colin Hendry had a poor spell at Blackpool and a couple of short spells as an assistant before taking over. Barry Ferguson only had his caretaker spell at Blackpool.

I think the issue with the recruitment team isn’t that they aren’t good or that they don’t do any work etc. The issue is that Danny has final say on all signings. Ultimately no one knows what the recruitment team do and everyone was impressed by what Corr presented in October. 

Danny has said numerous times that all signings fall on him he has final say. If the recruitment team presented Danny with say 5-6 targets for CBs in the summer and either Danny couldn’t attract them, they didn’t want to come or Danny passed on them then that’s not really on the recruitment team. Is Danny someone who would even want a recruitment team being an old school kind of manager? Maybe he signed his own guys in the summer despite the recruitment teams input. Conversely maybe the recruitment team are completely at it and giving Danny nothing. Let’s not pretend Danny’s recruitment without a recruitment team wasnt questionable. 

As always with Clyde there seems to be something not right with this set up and a complete lack of transparency ( Diamond didnt help this). Going forward it may be worthwhile to have a “ first team coach” and a director of football type rather than this weird middle ground. Too many cooks and too many egos at play. 

Will be interesting to see what happens without David Goodwillie now I guess, was he a blockade for players coming in? will there be more sponsors? I’d heard  Mitchell, Lennon, Moore and Goodwillie took up a eye watering chunk of playing budget on those 4 bodies alone 

Edited by Ocelot1877

7 minutes ago, Harry Haddock said:

The idea of a decent coach who has played for Clyde is appealing.I don’t have any knowledge of Waddell’s coaching expertise but from memory he didn’t have me standing on my seat when he was a player.

Oh for another Davie White.

The only thing that sticks in mind regarding Waddell was a home match on the old grass pitch. A wet day so the park had turned into a bog. Every player’s kit was brown apart from Waddell who had a glistening white long sleeve shirt not a mark. 

I got major flashbacks of that in the midweek away game to Dumbarton just before COVID when Wylde didn’t get stuck in. Only player that night to have a clean shirt. 

11 hours ago, SLClyde said:

9th in the lowland league isn’t where we should look for a manager, if it comes to the point we need one. 

What about putting the Goodwillie money towards trying to get Craig Bryson as manager  his career is about done, knows the club etc....

Wonder if Waddle has a YouTube video of his best management clips?

I thought Lennon was toast after the Clydebank game but he's fair got a tune out a very limited team.

The problem is we've had about 15 years of bad management appointments before Lennon came in so we know it could potentially be much worse.

If he does stay on then would be expecting a big improvement in recruitment considering we have received a transfer fee for both Mitchell and Goodwillie plus dropped their wages. Still wouldn't be surprised if his first summer signing is fucking Marky Munro again.

Whichever course of action those at the club go with, it'll be a risky one. Sticking with Lennon is a risk because his last three attempts at building a squad have been laughable, and the football has gradually receded from richly entertaining to eye-bleeding; twisting is also a risk, because Christ knows who'll be available, fancy coming to us and how they'd fare in the dugout. I don't envy those making this decision at such a crossroads, but personally I'd be thanking Lennon and moving on. As impressive as his coaching achievements are during his time at the club, he's failing abjectly in a major part of the role and is showing no signs of turning around his recruitment woes. If we are to genuinely progress beyond our current standing then we'll need someone in charge who can marry both competencies rather than excel at one or the other.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

What about putting the Goodwillie money towards trying to get Craig Bryson as manager  his career is about done, knows the club etc....

Would he drop down the leagues, does he even want to go into management? He’s not been at the club for how many years now. 

Not saying I’d want a dinosaur like Duffy but there are good managers out there who’d be worth a look. 

Craig Bryson hasn't done any coaching at all. I obviously love him to bits, but we can't realistically just pluck any former player out the air and go 'aw well, they've played for us so they understand what we want'. Bryson left the club 15 years ago, when we were in an entirely different situation.

The next coach, younger or older, needs to have adequate coaching experience. I really couldn't care if they've had anything to do with the club previously.

Saying that, Kettlewell would be a good shout. He does a lot of work with the media but feasibly that could continue whilst working part time as Clyde manager. Realistically, we're probably paying both Danny and Allan a mint.

14 hours ago, Clyde Londoner said:

Well after my suggestion of Ricky Waddell at least there is now a decent debate. Especially after the ignorant first comment by Brian Cardigan. I have a question for him.  You talk a  good game why don't you throw your hat into the ring if Danny leaves?

Great patter wee man. Can't wait for the next zinger.

23 minutes ago, Harry Haddock said:

Why would Rankin give up a full time post to go part time?

Well this is the thing - it's a very difficult sell for coaches already in full-time employment. You really are hoping that they're in that sweet spot of wanting to be a manager at a club that needs a lot of fixing up.

Kevin Thompson is the obvious recent example given he left Rangers to take over at Kelty, but he'll be absolutely wedged and owns a football academy so a part time managerial job probably suits him fine. Kelty aren't exactly struggling in any sense either.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

What about John Potter? He turned out to be very popular as a player and has been shadowing Jack Ross.

Not sure if he’s went with Jack to Aberdeen.

Looks as though Jim Goodwin is going to be the new Aberdeen manager. I learned very recently that John Potter has actually been assisting at QP whilst they search for their own new manager. I take it Jack Ross wouldn’t fancy a sensational return home?

For me, I’d probably trigger the extra year extension. However, if Danny did leave, I wouldn’t be too upset. Danny has been an absolute gent during his time and his tenure has ultimately been more successful than negative. However, as others have mentioned, the club’s recruitment during more recent seasons hasn’t been up to scratch. That would definitely need to improve if he stays.

Edited by Scott-Replay