Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Parry (c)

Page   Elsdon   Rumsby

McAllister                Livingstone

Gomis

Splaine           Cuddihy

Jamieson. Cunningham

Would like to see Cunningham utilised more centrally and see if his pace can get us up the park and put teams on their back heels. Think him and Jamieson would give teams more to think about defensively than Jones or Tade who I would utilise in later stages of games. Loves always been best coming off the bench for Clyde and that’s a role he should stick to. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

With Danny Lennon's contract expiring at the end of this current season. Do you guys think he merits another deal?  Has he done enough to extend his stay or is it time for a new face? 

Personally I think he has the ambition to take us further but his hands are tied behind his back with the board and lack of money to bring in the right players to take us to the next level. This season has shown that. I do think he will move on at the end of this season.

If he does decide to go who would you want to come in? 

9 minutes ago, Bearded Bully said:

With Danny Lennon's contract expiring at the end of this current season. Do you guys think he merits another deal?  Has he done enough to extend his stay or is it time for a new face? 

Personally I think he has the ambition to take us further but his hands are tied behind his back with the board and lack of money to bring in the right players to take us to the next level. This season has shown that. I do think he will move on at the end of this season.

If he does decide to go who would you want to come in? 

It's worse than that...

His contract ends not at the end of May but the end of September, IIRC.  It was extended when Thi$t£€ were sniffing about. 

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

It's worse than that...

His contract ends not at the end of May but the end of September, IIRC.  It was extended when Thi$t£€ were sniffing about. 

Would've been extended to the end of a specific season (this season in this case) rather than rolling onto a month into the following season.

edit - Aye, end of 21/22. Interestingly there's a year option clause.

Danny Extends Clyde Contract | 21 Sep 2019 | News | Clyde Football Club (clydefc.co.uk)

Edited by CM.

His signing record is questionable, but I think Danny has the want and ability to take us further. There are times where I’ve thought it’s time for him to go, but on current showing I’d give him another year at least. 

The board need to help him out and spend a bit, to keep us up in the first instance. 

I don’t have a problem with Danny staying on in principal BUT the recruitment has to be much much better. If some of the money that was tied up in DG can be released to make better signings then Danny needs to make that happen.

Coaching and man management wise he’s great, in fact the tune he has managed to get out of our very limited squad this season has so far been remarkable.

A lot depends of course on the run in and whether we can retain our league one status. Peterhead and Dumbarton look better sides than us and with alloa finally punting Ferguson I’m really not sure any of those sides will still be below us by the end of the season.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

The upturn in results since Clydebank has probably swayed me on that

I can’t help but think that the results since Clydebank have been extremely fortunate. We seem to have been getting results *in spite* of Danny and the horrendous recruitment and weird tactics.

The result there on Saturday has been coming for a long time.

I also think that COVID had a huge part to play the last couple of season.. both cut short , p/t players playing 3/4 games a week highlights how well he managed all of this and kept us up. This season has been really weird. Before Clydebank and after. If we stay up it’s definitely worth another contract for him I think and hopefully will never make a mistake like Jones again. However. Would he want to stay ? Are Clyde attractive enough for players looking to switch over to ? 

If Danny Lennon keeps Clyde in division one this season he has done his job. An achievement on a tiny budget compared with other teams in the division. Attracting players is extremely hard on small budgets. I wouldn't be surprised if Danny walked away. If he does I would appoint Ricky Waddell as manager. He has created an excellent young team at Caledonian Braves on a small budget. He is a smart and enthusiastic guy who would bring a nice brand of football to Clyde.

46 minutes ago, Clyde Londoner said:

If Danny Lennon keeps Clyde in division one this season he has done his job. An achievement on a tiny budget compared with other teams in the division. Attracting players is extremely hard on small budgets. I wouldn't be surprised if Danny walked away. If he does I would appoint Ricky Waddell as manager. He has created an excellent young team at Caledonian Braves on a small budget. He is a smart and enthusiastic guy who would bring a nice brand of football to Clyde.

Cheers for dropping by Ricky, off you pop.

9th in the lowland league isn’t where we should look for a manager, if it comes to the point we need one. 

I’d rather go for a young upcoming manager than one of the handful of dinosaurs like jim duffy who seem to get touted for every job going.

If Ricky Waddell has indeed built an exciting young squad on a small budget why would he not be worth a serious look?

42 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

I’d rather go for a young upcoming manager than one of the handful of dinosaurs like jim duffy who seem to get touted for every job going.

If Ricky Waddell has indeed built an exciting young squad on a small budget why would he not be worth a serious look?

He's not built an exciting young squad on a small budget. He's built a young squad that are sitting 9th in the Lowland League. They've done... ok.

They also have a very unique way of working. Even the smallest amount of research will show you how ambitious that club are. Waddell works within the Edusport Academy system linked to Braves as Academy Director as well as being first team manager. Edusport put him through his pro licence. Presumably if he wanted to (for some weird reason) come and manage Clyde he'd have to leave both roles.

I suppose the tl;dr is there are myriad reasons why it's a non-starter.

I agree that Ricky Waddell isn’t quite the choice I’d go for - especially if we remain in L1 - but I would veer on the side of the younger manager with a little bit of juice if we do decide to move away from Lennon. Who knows who would even apply for our job tho if the budget is going to be cut further next season?

As for Lennon’s future, I agree with the principle above that his coaching/man management is clearly decent to get us where we are currently, but it’s how much we can separate the recruitment from his responsibility. On the one hand, we all bemoan the recruitment team - and I do too - but we keep getting told that signings were approved by DL ahead of the start of the season so if we believe that, then he can’t get a pass on that point.

FWIW, if we stay up, I think we’ll extend him.

1 hour ago, Ignoramus said:

I agree that Ricky Waddell isn’t quite the choice I’d go for - especially if we remain in L1 - but I would veer on the side of the younger manager with a little bit of juice if we do decide to move away from Lennon. Who knows who would even apply for our job tho if the budget is going to be cut further next season?

As for Lennon’s future, I agree with the principle above that his coaching/man management is clearly decent to get us where we are currently, but it’s how much we can separate the recruitment from his responsibility. On the one hand, we all bemoan the recruitment team - and I do too - but we keep getting told that signings were approved by DL ahead of the start of the season so if we believe that, then he can’t get a pass on that point.

FWIW, if we stay up, I think we’ll extend him.

I agree with this all entirely. Although I said Ricky Waddell is a non-starter - a Ricky Waddell type is certainly appealing. Someone with a lot of coaching experience looking to take their first steps into management in the Kevin Thompson mould. Someone like John Rankin for instance.

I also think there needs to be some kind of a top down look at the way recruiting players is structured. I keep thinking about this hypothetical situation. Say Danny does leave and we were to approach John Rankin. We'd say "Okay John, we have this recruitment team on a salary who will provide you with players that you ultimately sign off on". Then he takes a look at the squad and sees that the recruitment team have contributed absolutely nothing other than Lowland League dross, and the more senior signings came from approaches off the players own backs to the club (like Balatoni) or links from Danny and Allan (like Elsdon). The club has little appeal to a younger, ambitious manager and this extremely weird set up we have where we pay a recruitment team to suggest players but have no details on how they work at all will dwindle that little appeal to absolutely nothing.

Ultimately, I don't have any trust in those in charge of the club to handle things in anything but a bizarre and misjudged manner.

I'm not sure about the young manager thing.

Barry Ferguson? Colin Hendry?

If given a choice I'd always go for experience. However, I think it's important to decide the style of play you want before selecting a manager. I don't really fancy a Jim Duffy type.

For what it's worth, I'd extend Danny's contact but we cannot keep praising him for making an average team while condemning him for the dreadful players he recruits.

Player recruitment is so important at this level. Coaching bad players well is a poor substitute for good player selection.

How about we coach decent players well?

I think DL is a really nice bloke and a decent coach. However his signings, by and large have been dreadful. He has signed, if not recruited, some real gems; Grant, McStay, Mitch and Lang, are examples. 

So I guess the idea is to take the hassle of recruitment away from him.  I believe that neither DL nor AM are guys that take in many games not involving Clyde, so there is a team who have various tasks including finding new players.  I was impressed by Corr's presentation in Oct but quite unimpressed by the recruitment, particularly in January. 

If neither DL nor AM are out watching U 21s on Tuesdays, reserves on Wednesdays and guys not getting 1st team games on Thursdays, and we don't have a "recruitment" team...how do we make ANY signings?