Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Give Raith their money back. 

Donate all of it or 50% to charity (Ive already suggested to board)

Dont fucking know...However i.d personally rather have few days in media or lose a few so called fans than potential a play off or plenty of seasons back in L2

Danny and squad have steadied ship last 1/3rd but yesterday and lack of threat last week confirms we need our captain back..

Yer Mithers Pride🇾🇪

1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Dont fucking know...However i.d personally rather have few days in media or lose a few so called fans than potential a play off or plenty of seasons back in L2

Danny and squad have steadied ship last 1/3rd but yesterday and lack of threat last week confirms we need our captain back..

Yer Mithers Pride🇾🇪

All or 50%? Big difference.

Which charity did you suggest?

Would the money not be better used to  strenghten the squad with a couple of quality loanees?

Then, as you clearly have a connection with the  Board, you most likely know the amount Raith Rovers paid. Would it be sufficient to enable such "signings"?

Edited by Mamtora

Why is all this nauseating chat about bringing Goodwillie "home" and him being "our captain" still carrying on in perpetuity? Eight months ago the guy was saying he dreamt of being at the club for the thick end of another decade and said he'd put out training cones if that's what it took to stay. Six months on from that birthday card pish, he exits bankruptcy and all of a sudden - and very conveniently - bids are flying in for him from multiple clubs and he's stating his desire to leave. The most baffling thing is that a lot of supporters have put in a lot of their own money to directly support him while at the club, working class men and women with families and mortgages to pay, and at his first real chance their "captain" whose "home" is Clyde clearly worked with his agent to force a move away. Whether you want him back at the club or not, the entire saga doesn't reflect at all well on him given his comments less than a year previous.

14 minutes ago, bullywee2010 said:

Can you name what loanees you think we could plausibly get who would have anywhere near the impact of DGW alone?

Got to agree with shawfield shed boy - we need our captain back. Could we not loan him back whilst Raith sort out his payoff then sign him on a free once that's finalised? Surely more palatable to Raith as they wouldn't be paying his full wages for that period.

Got to agree with comments above that yesterday and last week shows the hole left by DGW.   We all knew how much we would miss him but there is an opportunity to get him back that didnt think would be there and would be doing all we could to get him back.

Realistically I think we are the only club he could play with going forward as likely to be hounded by any other club in Scotland or England. 

We just need to take the stance have done over the last 4 years where he has been playing.

There will be some news but only for a day or so provided; no sponsors leave, no board members resign, no other staff leave etc.  Cant see any of that happening as they were all there when he was there or they wouldnt have been there in the first place.

With no controversy after the first headline "Rapist David Goodwillie returns to Clyde" the story will quickly die as without any controversy there is nothing for the press to write about.

It also depends on whether DGW wants to return or not or if he has any other options open to him.

Personally I dont blame him for leaving.  We would all do the same in his position.  However dont think anyone would have predicted just how much it would exploded into the national and international press.  However less than 2 weeks after he moved the story has died off as there is nothing to write about in relation to it that hasnt been written before.

There was a poll on the owners forum where about 1/4 of all owners voted and the majority of voted that they would like him to come back. 

The deal I would be putting to Raith is

1. Loan him back for the period of his contract

2. Pay a % of his contract akin to what we were paying anyway or maybe slightly less.

3. Pay a % of the transfer fee to the rape crisis charity as a goodwill gesture.

That way Raith can spread the cost of his contract over the full period rather than having to pay it up in a lump sum and DGW can get back to playing (if thats what he wants).  Of course DGW may well prefer to get his contract paid up in full and then go and sign for someone else.

9 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Why is all this nauseating chat about bringing Goodwillie "home" and him being "our captain" still carrying on in perpetuity? Eight months ago the guy was saying he dreamt of being at the club for the thick end of another decade and said he'd put out training cones if that's what it took to stay. Six months on from that birthday card pish, he exits bankruptcy and all of a sudden - and very conveniently - bids are flying in for him from multiple clubs and he's stating his desire to leave. The most baffling thing is that a lot of supporters have put in a lot of their own money to directly support him while at the club, working class men and women with families and mortgages to pay, and at his first real chance their "captain" whose "home" is Clyde clearly worked with his agent to force a move away. Whether you want him back at the club or not, the entire saga doesn't reflect at all well on him given his comments less than a year previous.

Players for all clubs will say they play for the club, love the club, want to stay for ever, kiss the badge etc.

At the end of the day for all players it is a job, just like your job is your job and mine is mine.  Difference is being a footballer has a window of about 15-20 years for most players and their aim is to make as much money out of the game as possible and/or play at as high a level as they can.

Even players that play for the club they support will likely move on if a better opportunity turns up eg Kieran Tierney at Celtic.

Did I believe DGW when he said he would stay at Clyde as long as Clyde wanted him and he wanted to play till he was 40.  No i didnt.

I did hope that I would see him play for the remaining 18 months of his contract but the difficulty you always have is do you want a player who is unhappy at the club and maybe being "professional" but not giving their all when they know they could move to another club and significantly increase their wage. 

Also what is the ethos of a club like Clyde.  Surely it is to give players the opportunity to play and show what they can do and should a better option for the player come along the club if it is appropriately compensated wouldnt stand in their way.  They havent done so for other players who were clearly above the level we were playing at eg Pat Nevin, Iain Ferguson, Tom Cowans to name a few of the top of my head.

10 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

How many 0. 0.  draws are we from safety

There is 11 games to go (Peterhead have 13).

We are 4 ahead of Dumbarton, 5 ahead of Alloa, 6 ahead of Peterhead and 12 ahead of EF.

EF have to win 4 games out of remaining 11 to draw level when they have only 4 games all season so think unlikely they will catch us.

Lets say PH picks up 2 points from games in hand that bring them up to 4 behind.

We have to play all 4 teams below us once in remaining games.  We play everyone else once barring Montrose and Airdrie who we play twice.

From remaining 11 games I think we will pick up 8 or 9 points which will take us to 38-39.  Provided we dont lose to Alloa I think we will end up ahead of them in 8th.

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

He clearly didn’t work with his agent...... he doesn’t have an agent.

1 hour ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Players for all clubs will say they play for the club, love the club, want to stay for ever, kiss the badge etc.

At the end of the day for all players it is a job, just like your job is your job and mine is mine.  Difference is being a footballer has a window of about 15-20 years for most players and their aim is to make as much money out of the game as possible and/or play at as high a level as they can.

Even players that play for the club they support will likely move on if a better opportunity turns up eg Kieran Tierney at Celtic.

Did I believe DGW when he said he would stay at Clyde as long as Clyde wanted him and he wanted to play till he was 40.  No i didnt.

I did hope that I would see him play for the remaining 18 months of his contract but the difficulty you always have is do you want a player who is unhappy at the club and maybe being "professional" but not giving their all when they know they could move to another club and significantly increase their wage. 

Also what is the ethos of a club like Clyde.  Surely it is to give players the opportunity to play and show what they can do and should a better option for the player come along the club if it is appropriately compensated wouldnt stand in their way.  They havent done so for other players who were clearly above the level we were playing at eg Pat Nevin, Iain Ferguson, Tom Cowans to name a few of the top of my head.

Did he definitely have 18 months left on his contract?

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

He clearly didn’t work with his agent...... he doesn’t have an agent.

That would reflect even more badly on him then, if it was all his doing and misplaced trust in a scheming advisor looking to line his own pockets wasn't a factor. I'd seen someone mentioning Willo Flood's name in that regard.

6 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

That would reflect even more badly on him then, if it was all his doing and misplaced trust in a scheming advisor looking to line his own pockets wasn't a factor. I'd seen someone mentioning Willo Flood's name in that regard.

Who knows how the opportunity/situation came about....but clearly not through his agent as suggested as he is not contracted to an agent. If advice was being offered by someone it’s harsh to assume it was a “scheming advisor looking to line his own pockets”.

Yer Mithers Pride[emoji1267]

f**k that, raith bought him knowing full well the baggage. That’s our money now and should be used to build a more balanced squad in the summer.

As for DG he was lucky to have the platform we gave him, thought he could get it better elsewhere and it blew up in his face. f**k him…

I spent most of the first half yesterday watching through my fingers and yet the most embarrassing part of the day was hearing c***s singing about DG.

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Who knows how the opportunity/situation came about....but clearly not through his agent as suggested as he is not contracted to an agent. If advice was being offered by someone it’s harsh to assume it was a “scheming advisor looking to line his own pockets”.

Awwww man there is sum amount of pur bangers oot there eh?