Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

A good idea about the advertising the next game, could even put something up around the town centre area as well. Would be worth contacting the club about it. 
Yep agreed. I thought Morton were terrible at advertising in the local area, but Clyde are something else.

I lived in Blackwood, literally 1km on foot from Broadwood, for over 4 years until last October and you would never know that Clyde existed. The Colts have far more presence in Cumbernauld ffs.

49 minutes ago, BishyTON said:

Yep agreed. I thought Morton were terrible at advertising in the local area, but Clyde are something else.

I lived in Blackwood, literally 1km on foot from Broadwood, for over 4 years until last October and you would never know that Clyde existed. The Colts have far more presence in Cumbernauld ffs.

There you go there, proof in the pudding, someone who is interested in football who stayed less than a mile from the ground says they know more about the Colts than Clyde

Agree need to establish who they are.  The cumbernauld club argument sailed years ago and still seems we are still at year 0.  Be interesting to know how many regular fans attend who didnt attend before came to broadwood.  It cant be many I have been going for 40 years and many of the faces I see on a regular basis were going to  Shawfield/Firhill/Douglas Park.  There was initial excitement for the first few months but the club failed to capitalise on it and the fact that it took us about 6 games to score a goal when we first moved didnt help.
We have had a number of good teams since being in Cumbernauld; the juniors team drafted in by Ronnie MacDonald, the xfactor team drummed up by Graeme Roberts, the team that nearly got promoted to the premier league by Alan Kernaghan and the L2 team promoted with Danny Lennon.  All those teams played open and exciting footballl, won games and were good to watch but still had no effect on attendances.
Agree club should look to grow their own players and dont know when the last player we produced that was any good?  Craig Bryson 17 years ago?  To my knowledge we dont have any youth teams at all.
Yes 2k+ plus attended for the L2 playoff v Annan but you will always get the glory hunters coming to one off games (eg Hibs final v Rangers a few years ago was the same).
As you say it is all about leadership and putting a plan in place to cover a variety of things to be achieved.  I would never criticise the board as they are doing their best and at the end of the day are fans and if they werent there who would take up the mantle.  But effectively they are are group of penpushers with no football experience when ideally you are looking for people with some or more of the following; football experience, sales and marketing experience, hard cash.
If I was the board I would look to do the following
1. Re-engage with the local communities and schools and get interest in the club again.  Anyone in the relevant postcode an adult and up to 3 children can attend games totally free of charge .
2. Invest in youth development and try to get as many teams set up under Clyde umbrella at as many age groups as possible.  Start with two teams under 18 and under 16 and build down from there.
3. Engage a marketing company to promote the club with the aim of increasing  attendance to at least 1,000 by start of 2022/23 season and to at least 2,000 by start of 2023/24.  Marketing company would get 50% of the income generated from the additional attendees.
The above may be a bit radical and "out the box" but it is time for some "out the box" thinking as things will drift and we might not get relegated this year but we will maybe next year , the year after or within a couple of years of that.

Investment in the youth set up is expensive. Your team play in a ground and pitches which are dominated by Cumbernauld colts teams from year dot to over35. That ship has long since sailed

I think there will be more Cumbernauld Clyde based fans that people realise. It could be higher but then the club has never bothered their arse to engage with the local community. If all the time, effort and money that has been wasted on umpteen fruitless attempts to move away from Cumbernauld had instead been spent on engaging with the local community then I suspect our attendances would be higher and we would be attracting more support from local businesses.

When Clyde first move to Broadwood every game was sold out. They sponsored by OKI one of the biggest businesses in Cumbernauld. Clyde were advertised constantly in the local press, schools and the town centre. You could pick up a Clyde top or scarf in every sport shop up the town centre.

Fast forward to now and you would never know Clyde still play in Cumbernauld. The roundabout right outside Broadwood is the busiest in Cumbernauld and we don't even bother advertising when the next home game is.
Every sports shop. [emoji1787].....

I think there will be more Cumbernauld Clyde based fans that people realise. It could be higher but then the club has never bothered their arse to engage with the local community. If all the time, effort and money that has been wasted on umpteen fruitless attempts to move away from Cumbernauld had instead been spent on engaging with the local community then I suspect our attendances would be higher and we would be attracting more support from local businesses.

When Clyde first move to Broadwood every game was sold out. They sponsored by OKI one of the biggest businesses in Cumbernauld. Clyde were advertised constantly in the local press, schools and the town centre. You could pick up a Clyde top or scarf in every sport shop up the town centre.

Fast forward to now and you would never know Clyde still play in Cumbernauld. The roundabout right outside Broadwood is the busiest in Cumbernauld and we don't even bother advertising when the next home game is.
Cumbernauld and Clyde's issue is the exact same as raith with Glenrothes. It's rangers and celtic fans generations on who live there. That will never change.

Doubt we'll gather many more fans from Cumbernauld. We offered free entry to kids and still they didn't come in any decent numbers.

The Old Firm dominate.

Perhaps the best we can do is become Celtic and Rangers supporters wee team.

I seem to recall Edinburgh City offering discounted match day every to season ticket holders at Tynecastle and Easter Road. I thought that was interesting idea at the time. I can't recall if it was a one off or whether it lasted all season. Would Clyde supporters, particularly season ticket holders, support this? I'm not so sure.

As for youth teams, it may work in creating an affinity for the club amongst the youngsters playing for the boy and girl teams.

Although any youngster showing any promise in footballing terms will just be poached by Premier League clubs. So in my opinion it's a waste of money of you're hoping to produce first team players.

Cumbernauld and Clyde's issue is the exact same as raith with Glenrothes. It's rangers and celtic fans generations on who live there. That will never change.
Every town and city in Scotland is full of Rangers and Celtic fans especially in the central belt. That's not something unique to Clyde and Cumbernauld.

When I was at school it was still predominantly Old Firm fans but there was some Clyde fans dotted around each class. I would be surprised if that is still the case as the club has stopped trying.

I think it's pretty telling that if you see someone in Cumberland wearing something Clyde related then they are aged at least 20+.

It doesn't help that we get a new chairman, last year, and the first thing he does is launch a feasibility study into staying at Broadwood or moving elsewhere.

Doubt we'll gather many more fans from Cumbernauld. We offered free entry to kids and still they didn't come in any decent numbers.

The Old Firm dominate.

Perhaps the best we can do is become Celtic and Rangers supporters wee team.

I seem to recall Edinburgh City offering discounted match day every to season ticket holders at Tynecastle and Easter Road. I thought that was interesting idea at the time. I can't recall if it was a one off or whether it lasted all season. Would Clyde supporters, particularly season ticket holders, support this? I'm not so sure.

As for youth teams, it may work in creating an affinity for the club amongst the youngsters playing for the boy and girl teams.

Although any youngster showing any promise in footballing terms will just be poached by Premier League clubs. So in my opinion it's a waste of money of you're hoping to produce first team players.

Handing out free tickets won't accomplish anything. The club would need to make a sustained effort to become visible and be part of Cumbernauld.

The club did make an effort when they moved to Broadwood initially. The only other time, I can remember, is around 2010 when somebody came and redesigned the season ticket and got a lot of local companies to offer discounts. We sold loads and had over 1k for the first home games against Albion Rovers and Stranraer that season.

Handing out free tickets won't accomplish anything. The club would need to make a sustained effort to become visible and be part of Cumbernauld.

The club did make an effort when they moved to Broadwood initially. The only other time, I can remember, is around 2010 when somebody came and redesigned the season ticket and got a lot of local companies to offer discounts. We sold loads and had over 1k for the first home games against Albion Rovers and Stranraer that season.

I don't think I suggested handing out free tickets. In fact, I agree with you. I don't think there was loads of kids attending at the time of free children's tickets .

Discounted match day tickets for season ticket holders of Celtic, Rangers and perhaps other Premier League teams I thought was an interesting concept.

The retailers discount scheme a few years ago as you mention was great. Although it was at the expense of my waistline (£5 for two courses at the carvery, if I remember correctly, followed by a wee free session at the bingo)

Added value can only help season ticket sales. I was disappointed to see it end.

Prediction time:

- we will re-sign Goodwillie in the coming weeks, on massive wages once again and on a ridiculously long contract

- no other new signings will be made

- Goodwillie, injury returns and lady luck will combine to keep us clear of 9th, and Lennon in a job

- a far-too-large number of these absolute jobbers will be handed extensions, while we lose the few most would be happy to retain

- another disasterclass window will see us end up with an equally poor squad next season, at best

The turnaround in feeling at the club in just two and a half years is staggering. There's such a malaise around the place and we're rudderless in just about every department, footballing and otherwise. Despite having a season ticket, I've made just three games this season and don't miss it one iota. I really feel for those who are turning up to suffer this turgid dross every week.

First season ticket bought this season in over 30 yrs and feel that the League 1 standard has been poor in general because we should have been hammered by some of the teams if only they had a decent finisher on the day.. Airdrie the best I’ve seen in our league however. As for us, we have rode our luck recently and hopefully its’s gave us enough to build on to get us over the line and then a massive clear out . Keeping Parry, Rumsby, Elsdon, Docherty, Spillane, Livingstone, Cunningham,  Love, Jamieson,Cuddihy….if they’ll stay…and why did we loan out so many players too ? Total waste of resources. 

41 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

and why did we loan out so many players too ? Total waste of resources. 

Probably because they are so crap that they are even worse than those at the club

Ridiculous that someone like McGrath given a 2 year contract.  He was punted to Berwick Rangers and think they have also punted him.

1 hour ago, Bob731 said:

First season ticket bought this season in over 30 yrs and feel that the League 1 standard has been poor in general because we should have been hammered by some of the teams if only they had a decent finisher on the day.. Airdrie the best I’ve seen in our league however. As for us, we have rode our luck recently and hopefully its’s gave us enough to build on to get us over the line and then a massive clear out . Keeping Parry, Rumsby, Elsdon, Docherty, Spillane, Livingstone, Cunningham,  Love, Jamieson,Cuddihy….if they’ll stay…and why did we loan out so many players too ? Total waste of resources. 

I’d only keep Parry, Elsdon, Livingstone, Cunningham, Jamieson and Cuddihy the rest can bolt.

1 hour ago, TheBigGuy said:

An insight into life without Goodie moving forward.

Life without goodie should be using the money gained from the fee and wages freed up to sign 2, probably 3 good players in replacement. We didn’t give ourselves that chance unfortunately.