Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

6 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Goodie will always be welcome at Clyde FC, whether that be as a player or fan. 

Seeing how Raith Rovers supporters reacted to Goodwillie and then coming here and seeing people still saying things like this honestly makes it embarrassing to be a Clyde supporter. Then you've got the melt above you trying to convince himself that it'll be ok to bring him back because we might fly under the radar. Truly embarrassing.

Edited by scottyxander

Personally I think there will be no story after a day if he was to come back
There would be no sponsors pulling out as they were all there when he was there
There will be no one in the club who will leave as they were all there when he was there
There will be no celebrity fan looking to kick up a fuss - we only have Dougie Donnelly and John Mason and neither of them has the influence of Val McDermid
There will be no disassociation of the woman’s team as we don’t have one (as far as I’m aware and even if we do they were there when he was)
There will be no harm with the local community as we never have  had any community links for years
There was no impact on attendances when he first joined - the average home attendance for the first 6 games after he joined was actually higher than the 6 games before he joined
All the club needs to do is take the stance that it took 5 years ago and since - every individual has the right to rebuild their life once they have paid their dues to society as deemed by the court of law they are tried in.  We aided DGW in his rehabilitation in getting his life back on track
If you think that someone doesn’t deserve that then it goes against the whole moral fabric of a civilised society.  
It was only last week that he came on as sub and won the free kick that lead to the goal that won the game.  There was no issues with him then so why now
I was expecting there to be some fall and sure DGW and his advisors would think the same.  They and the RR board didnt foresee the influence that Val McDermid would have in making it a national and an international story - as was shown in RR first and second statement.
If he had moved to Falkirk, the other club interested in signing him, I have no doubt he would be lining up to make his debut tomorrow
The high profile cases of Mendy and Greenwood were news at the wrong time for him.

I think you are being incredibly naive if you think it will go back to the way it was. How do you know sponsors won’t pull out if the club is suddenly at the centre of massively negative media attention? I don’t see that public outrage is going to disappear if he drops a few places down the SPFL.

Your argument of there wasn’t any outcry before is flawed because the story has been absolutely massive for the last few days. Front page on bbc website and news papers. Everyone who had forgotten DG existed is now fully aware of this and we don’t want to bare the brunt of that.

The sponsorship point is an absolutely ridiculous one. They'll have felt safe coming on board when there was very little heat around Goodwillie during his five years at Clyde, but I doubt many would be happy to become embroiled in the media shitstorm that would follow his signing. It would be an all-round mental decision to bring him back in.

Personally I think there will be no story after a day if he was to come back
There would be no sponsors pulling out as they were all there when he was there
There will be no one in the club who will leave as they were all there when he was there
There will be no celebrity fan looking to kick up a fuss - we only have Dougie Donnelly and John Mason and neither of them has the influence of Val McDermid
There will be no disassociation of the woman’s team as we don’t have one (as far as I’m aware and even if we do they were there when he was)
There will be no harm with the local community as we never have  had any community links for years
There was no impact on attendances when he first joined - the average home attendance for the first 6 games after he joined was actually higher than the 6 games before he joined
All the club needs to do is take the stance that it took 5 years ago and since - every individual has the right to rebuild their life once they have paid their dues to society as deemed by the court of law they are tried in.  We aided DGW in his rehabilitation in getting his life back on track
If you think that someone doesn’t deserve that then it goes against the whole moral fabric of a civilised society.  
It was only last week that he came on as sub and won the free kick that lead to the goal that won the game.  There was no issues with him then so why now
I was expecting there to be some fall and sure DGW and his advisors would think the same.  They and the RR board didnt foresee the influence that Val McDermid would have in making it a national and an international story - as was shown in RR first and second statement.
If he had moved to Falkirk, the other club interested in signing him, I have no doubt he would be lining up to make his debut tomorrow
The high profile cases of Mendy and Greenwood were news at the wrong time for him.

I think you're being very naive if you think it would soon be yesterday's news.

The world has moved on in the last 4 years. People are far more aware of violence towards women. The Me Too movement has successfully brought this to the public's attention.

On one day, it was trending 4th on twitter for the whole UK. This was a £50k transfer of a player between a Scottish League one team and the Championship and was trending nationally. The public were interested and appalled.

No way should Goodwillie play for Clyde again. If he re-signed, the publicity would be 100x worse than the last time. John Mason's boycott might even last a month.

If our board are so unaware of the tremendous damage it would do to our already damaged reputation and bring him back, they should just chuck it as should Danny Lennon.

In saying that, I don't think it will happen.

24 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

I think you are being incredibly naive if you think it will go back to the way it was. How do you know sponsors won’t pull out if the club is suddenly at the centre of massively negative media attention? I don’t see that public outrage is going to disappear if he drops a few places down the SPFL.

Your argument of there wasn’t any outcry before is flawed because the story has been absolutely massive for the last few days. Front page on bbc website and news papers. Everyone who had forgotten DG existed is now fully aware of this and we don’t want to bare the brunt of that.

There is only one reason why it has been in the national and international press and that is Val McDermid

Her social media influence and powerful allies is the only reason it has reached the level of interest it has.

Dont remember Nicola Sturgeon making comments when he first moved to us 

It would be in the news but frankly there is no media interest in Clyde and would die after one round of news 

29 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I think you're being very naive if you think it would soon be yesterday's news.

The world has moved on in the last 4 years. People are far more aware of violence towards women. The Me Too movement has successfully brought this to the public's attention.

On one day, it was trending 4th on twitter for the whole UK. This was a £50k transfer of a player between a Scottish League one team and the Championship and was trending nationally. The public were interested and appalled.

No way should Goodwillie play for Clyde again. If he re-signed, the publicity would be 100x worse than the last time. John Mason's boycott might even last a month.

If our board are so unaware of the tremendous damage it would do to our already damaged reputation and bring him back, they should just chuck it as should Danny Lennon.

In saying that, I don't think it will happen.

There was only one reason why it was trending and that was due to the social media influence of Val McDermid and here getting a number of powerful allies commenting on it

No one will be able to say for sure either way but if he had moved to Falkirk the interest would never have reached the level it did with RR IMO

1 minute ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

There is only one reason why it has been in the national and international press and that is Val McDermid

Her social media influence and powerful allies is the only reason it has reached the level of interest it has.

Dont remember Nicola Sturgeon making comments when he first moved to us 

It would be in the news but frankly there is no media interest in Clyde and would die after one round of news 

I can understand your point of view but there is more to this than you know.

I was involved in the media and TV team of volunteers until I resigned at 22:55 on Monday night.

Other volunteers followed suit, RaithTV, media updates, the match programme team, match announcer, the ball recovery team, the fan's director, the supporters liaison officer, the media officer.

There may be others that I haven't mentioned, however, this has crippled the club and I my opinion is unprecedented.

Yes Val has been part of it, but do not underestimate the power that fans and volunteers have at ground level.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I can understand your point of view but there is more to this than you know.

I was involved in the media and TV team of volunteers until I resigned at 22:55 on Monday night.

Other volunteers followed suit, RaithTV, media updates, the match programme team, match announcer, the ball recovery team, the fan's director, the supporters liaison officer, the media officer.

There may be others that I haven't mentioned, however, this has crippled the club and I my opinion is unprecedented.

Yes Val has been part of it, but do not underestimate the power that fans and volunteers have at ground level.

Yes I am fully aware of it and all the others than resigned and frankly I think it the media and TV coverage crew that said they were leaving on Wednesday was the final straw for the board

However, it is my view that without Val McDermid and her allies support it wouldn’t have gained the national and international interest that it did which held for 3 days (it was the main story on BBC Scotland for 3 nights and made the main national news last night)

Pity that John McGlynn and the board didn’t listen to Val first time round for RR

From what I heard they weren’t really bothered with what she was going to do and they obviously misread her power and influence.

I can understand it will have serious repercussions on RR and can’t see things being realigned unless McGlynn, his assistant, the CEO (the assistants wife) and the 4 directors who voted it through go.  

Though looks like getting Sim to leave is going to be the most difficult challenge

In my view there would be no one who would leave if he came back to us as no one left first time round.  

There may be some who will leave who maybe joined after he joined us in 2017 and didn’t know his full background but any football fan, which most volunteers at clubs are, will have been aware of his story

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

This is debateable unless there is corroboration to prove otherwise.

What is debatable?

He paid what was due to be paid by the authorities - if not the authorities would have pursued him for it surely. 

If the authorities didn’t pursue what is due then that is a wrong in the system.

Unfortunately the other party didn’t see any of it due to legal costs incurred

Edited by Bullyweeno1

What is debatable?

He paid what was due to be paid by the authorities - if not the authorities would have pursued him for it surely

Unfortunately the other party didn’t see any of it due to legal costs incurred

I am going on comments relating to his bankruptcy in relation to his inability to pay.

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

This is debateable unless there is corroboration to prove otherwise.

My understanding is his share of the damages awarded was seized once he sold his property in Stirling. People claiming he hasn't paid what the judge ordered is, as I understand it, due to the claimant's legal costs being high such that most, if not all, of the damages awarded went to the lawyers. 

Happy to be corrected on this if my understanding is incorrect.

Quite simply, Clyde cannot afford to pay DG without reasonable certainty of having him available to play.  The landscape has changed and for the board to take that financial gamble would be reckless.

8 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I am going on comments relating to his bankruptcy in relation to his inability to pay.

From my understanding it was HMRC that petitioned for his bankruptcy due to unpaid taxes

What I don’t know is if he paid the damages ordered or not before he was made bankrupt?

3 minutes ago, WBR said:

Quite simply, Clyde cannot afford to pay DG without reasonable certainty of having him available to play.  The landscape has changed and for the board to take that financial gamble would be reckless.

Only reason wouldn’t be available to play would be that why he hasn’t played over last month - injury

Otherwise he would be available to play like he has the last 5 years

Only reason wouldn’t be available to play would be that why he hasn’t played over last month - injury

Otherwise he would be available to play like he has the last 5 years

That’s what Raith would have thought, if they’d even fully considered the possible consequences - which they didn’t, despite the warnings.

7 minutes ago, WBR said:

That’s what Raith would have thought, if they’d even fully considered the possible consequences - which they didn’t, despite the warnings.

But he has been playing with Clyde for over 5 years

What has changed since last weekend when he came on as a sub?

It would be difficult for the football authorities to take any action when they haven’t for the last 5 years

Media and public scrutiny, perception of sponsors (current and prospective) towards what will seem like a new risk to their reputation, and, I’d expect, some soul searching amongst Clyde fans.

13 minutes ago, WBR said:

Media and public scrutiny, perception of sponsors (current and prospective) towards what will seem like a new risk to their reputation, and, I’d expect, some soul searching amongst Clyde fans.

It only becomes a story if those at the club make it a story.

If they stick to the line of rehabilitation that they always have then there is no story and will quickly be no interest like there has been for broadly 4 years

There was no public or media scrutiny last week when he came on a sub

If the club really want to assess the risk then take him on loan for the rest of the season with the view of taking on loan for further 2 years depending on what happens

Personally think will be a story for a day or two then die as just coming back and in same position as been for 5 years.

Edited by Bullyweeno1