Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

In other news Gregory Tade is talking up a Clyde title charge in the Daily Record. 
Fair play to the guy. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Given the goalscoring phenomena that is the Tade-Jones combination I think he must think we're in the East of Scotland League U12s

He would have been a decent option last summer, though Alloa are no doubt throwing a fair bit more cash to cover his wages.

We couldn't sign him just now though as he has played for Hearts and Alloa this season.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

I really don't see how he can return to Clyde after the furore and think he is now finished in football. 

I remember Clyde taking a lot of flak when he was signed (contrary to what some have been suggesting this week) but don't recall it being as intense as the attention that came our way. I don't think this is a bad thing - there have been numerous developments since 2017 and in light of a number of scandals, people are (rightly) less tolerant of sex offenders and rapists continuing in high profile positions than they were previously. 

I don't really know the ins and outs of how the transfer happened but leaving Clyde was a terrible idea for Goodwillie. He had a pretty cushy number and pretty much could keep his head down and get on with it. He ought to have known the backlash that would occur and I am not sure why he wanted to go through it. Maybe he wasn't satisfied with his lot, which I understand, but it's a naive position to take given his past. 

That all said he's going to leave us with a massive payout for his troubles. Perversely, he emerges from this as one of the winners. 

I made all the above points whilst discussing this yesterday. He has ended his career with this whole debacle.

There was a fair bit of resistance to him signing with us from a lot of our support at the time and it was front page news in the paper for a day but other than that it wasn’t a story for very long, unlike his transfer to Raith. 

He had it easy at us all things considered and flew under the radar to an extent for the majority of his time at Clyde, albeit he took abuse from the stands from oppositions fans. It’s short sightedness on his part to think he could do the same moving to Raith and has raised this ugly story again for him, the victim and their respective families.

IMO we would be stupid to take him back. I’ve said previously, use the transfer fee and now available wage budget to bring in 2, 3 or 4 good players and bolster the squad.

A lot of our support stopped going to games when we signed him and I hope they all come back now. If we sign him again they’ll be lost forever and I’ve no doubt others would follow. As much as he has done for Clyde on the park it would be to our detriment in the long term if we took him back.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Quite interesting to see Clyde fans suggest that they don't want to take him back. I think most people are just under the assumption that most of your fans who decided to accept Goodwillie now see him as hero for what he's done and would have him back. I'd not factored in that people might be frustrated at how he'd left. Any club in the SPFL who bring him in will clearly end up being in the same shitshow we've ended up now it's become a major talking point.

Quite interesting to see Clyde fans suggest that they don't want to take him back. I think most people are just under the assumption that most of your fans who decided to accept Goodwillie now see him as hero for what he's done and would have him back. I'd not factored in that people might be frustrated at how he'd left. Any club in the SPFL who bring him in will clearly end up being in the same shitshow we've ended up now it's become a major talking point.

When he signed our chairman at the time released a statement around the club taking on the responsibility of helping to rehabilitate DG (whether you buy that or not is a different matter of course).

By jumping ship to play full time DG clearly mistakenly thought his rehabilitation was complete.

The statement released by the Raith board was also unbelievably crass and certainly did nothing to ease the clamour. If they had gone for something along the lines of DG continuing his rehabilitation of the last 5 years, focusing on the fact he has a young family and is rebuilding his life and most importantly some recognition of his actions. I understand he perhaps can’t issue an apology for legal reasons but surely he could have said something along the lines of deeply regretting the distress the full episode has had on the girl and her family. Anyway ‘we know what he did but he’s good at football’ didn’t really do anybody any favours.

The contribution he has made football wise over the last 5 years is appreciated but a big mistake to bring him and the associated heat back to us now imo.

56 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

When he signed our chairman at the time released a statement around the club taking on the responsibility of helping to rehabilitate DG (whether you buy that or not is a different matter of course).

By jumping ship to play full time DG clearly mistakenly thought his rehabilitation was complete.

The statement released by the Raith board was also unbelievably crass and certainly did nothing to ease the clamour. If they had gone for something along the lines of DG continuing his rehabilitation of the last 5 years, focusing on the fact he has a young family and is rebuilding his life and most importantly some recognition of his actions. I understand he perhaps can’t issue an apology for legal reasons but surely he could have said something along the lines of deeply regretting the distress the full episode has had on the girl and her family. Anyway ‘we know what he did but he’s good at football’ didn’t really do anybody any favours.

The contribution he has made football wise over the last 5 years is appreciated but a big mistake to bring him and the associated heat back to us now imo.

As you say he has a young family to look after - could that not have been first and foremost in his mind when 'jumping ship' to Raith. The increase in pay is likely to have been substantial (also gave him an extra year of financial security than his Clyde contract did) and given his age, he doesn't have long left for making a career in football. I'm sure the large majority of us would switch jobs to make a better life for our own families.

I agree with you on the statement from Raith being unbelievable crass and doing nothing to ease the outrage from their support. However, Raith's statement should not be used to prevent us re-signing him. Given when he originally signed we talked about giving him a second chance, helping rehabilitate him and live a life in society again, which has been fine and accepted by the majority of the fan base for the last 5 years, why can the same not be done now? 

Finally, I don't think the press reaction will be anywhere near the scale it was for Raith if we bring him back . Firstly, we can stick by the same principles for signing him that have been accepted for the past 5 years. Secondly, we do not have a high profile fan that is mates with many high profile figures, including the first minister, to keep it in the media for a sustained period. I suspect the media would cover it for a day or two then the story would fade away, exactly as happened previously.

47 minutes ago, bullywee2010 said:

As you say he has a young family to look after - could that not have been first and foremost in his mind when 'jumping ship' to Raith. The increase in pay is likely to have been substantial (also gave him an extra year of financial security than his Clyde contract did) and given his age, he doesn't have long left for making a career in football. I'm sure the large majority of us would switch jobs to make a better life for our own families.

I agree with you on the statement from Raith being unbelievable crass and doing nothing to ease the outrage from their support. However, Raith's statement should not be used to prevent us re-signing him. Given when he originally signed we talked about giving him a second chance, helping rehabilitate him and live a life in society again, which has been fine and accepted by the majority of the fan base for the last 5 years, why can the same not be done now? 

Finally, I don't think the press reaction will be anywhere near the scale it was for Raith if we bring him back . Firstly, we can stick by the same principles for signing him that have been accepted for the past 5 years. Secondly, we do not have a high profile fan that is mates with many high profile figures, including the first minister, to keep it in the media for a sustained period. I suspect the media would cover it for a day or two then the story would fade away, exactly as happened previously.

I think that because of the outrage re raith it would be silly to assume that the backlash against Clyde would not also be severe. From a purely football perspective he is clearly a player but one at the wrong end of his career and I would like to think that funds will be made available from both the transfer and the wages saved by not having him and these can be used to bolster the squad. Personally I’d rather have 2-3 decent players although that is putting faith in a recruitment team that has so far contributed worse than nothing to the club.

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

If Clyde sign him, you'll get it absolutely fucking rotten from the press and people who are now a lot more aware of the situation.

Unfortunately a good number on the Clyde owners' forum seem to disagree.   

Personally I think there will be no story after a day if he was to come back

There would be no sponsors pulling out as they were all there when he was there

There will be no one in the club who will leave as they were all there when he was there

There will be no celebrity fan looking to kick up a fuss - we only have Dougie Donnelly and John Mason and neither of them has the influence of Val McDermid

There will be no disassociation of the woman’s team as we don’t have one (as far as I’m aware and even if we do they were there when he was)

There will be no harm with the local community as we never have  had any community links for years

There was no impact on attendances when he first joined - the average home attendance for the first 6 games after he joined was actually higher than the 6 games before he joined

All the club needs to do is take the stance that it took 5 years ago and since - every individual has the right to rebuild their life once they have paid their dues to society as deemed by the court of law they are tried in.  We aided DGW in his rehabilitation in getting his life back on track

If you think that someone doesn’t deserve that then it goes against the whole moral fabric of a civilised society.  

It was only last week that he came on as sub and won the free kick that lead to the goal that won the game.  There was no issues with him then so why now

I was expecting there to be some fall and sure DGW and his advisors would think the same.  They and the RR board didnt foresee the influence that Val McDermid would have in making it a national and an international story - as was shown in RR first and second statement.

If he had moved to Falkirk, the other club interested in signing him, I have no doubt he would be lining up to make his debut tomorrow

The high profile cases of Mendy and Greenwood were news at the wrong time for him.

Edited by Bullyweeno1