Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I don’t often post or read anything on here but the past few days have stirred up a lot for me and i just wanted to put a few words somewhere.

I was a young guy when goodwillie signed and perhaps immature and blinded by the fact he was scoring goals for my team and giving us unforgettable moments. Being young was no excuse to be honest and i probably should’ve done more research and had more of a moral compass, Singing his name every week certainly didn’t help.

With the greenwood stuff coming out this week and being sickened by that and then having seen everything this week and reading the full court document, i find myself feeling guilty and conflicted having supported him all these years and wanting to believe he was innocent when with any other case i would always believe the woman. I realise it may seem convenient to come to this realisation now but it is what it is.
It’s been tough for me so i can only imagine how the woman and Goodies family feels. I’ll be grateful for the goals and good times given but reflecting now i don’t know if i will be able to look back on it the same.

Hopefully we can move past this and try to be better as a club and as people.

cheers

8 hours ago, clyde_1877 said:

I don’t often post or read anything on here but the past few days have stirred up a lot for me and i just wanted to put a few words somewhere.

I was a young guy when goodwillie signed and perhaps immature and blinded by the fact he was scoring goals for my team and giving us unforgettable moments. Being young was no excuse to be honest and i probably should’ve done more research and had more of a moral compass, Singing his name every week certainly didn’t help.

With the greenwood stuff coming out this week and being sickened by that and then having seen everything this week and reading the full court document, i find myself feeling guilty and conflicted having supported him all these years and wanting to believe he was innocent when with any other case i would always believe the woman. I realise it may seem convenient to come to this realisation now but it is what it is.
It’s been tough for me so i can only imagine how the woman and Goodies family feels. I’ll be grateful for the goals and good times given but reflecting now i don’t know if i will be able to look back on it the same.

Hopefully we can move past this and try to be better as a club and as people.

cheers

Hey 1877

Don't beat yourself up.  You were young then and you're thinking in a more critical way. You've also articulated your thoughts and feelings really well, which ain't that common for young men in Scotland. 

My discomfort on DGW has increased this week.  I was in the 'rehabilitation and earn a living' camp when he signed and his goals saving Clyde helped me justify that thinking.  However, learning that he was such a highly paid player and him pushing to leave, has changed my views. Reading the written judgement, doesn't paint him in a positive light in any way.

The player has misjudged public opinion and I shudder every time I hear about the situation.  We are a wee club with weak community relationships; we have a bit of a clean(er) slate now. If we are compensated for Raith taking DGW away, it might be an acceptable outcome for Clyde.  

I strongly believe we should NOT be offering Raith ANY money back. Caveat emptor.

We should be doing all we can to get another centre forward in from somewhere, we’ve just freed up a good wage which would more than cover a loan for 6 months. 
Danny Lennon said in October he desired a creative midfielder and admitted recruitment was poor.

Transfer window is over and we've only signed a right back and a 19 year old striker and lost the league's top goalscorer.

Are we better off after the transfer window than we were before it?

On 01/02/2022 at 16:48, shawfielder said:

Since when did Sturgeon suddenly decide to air her thoughts on sexual abuse,  the silence from Hollyrood about sexual abuse against minors in Scottish football has been deafening.

Because its a historical issue some of which are still under investigation and there are now procedures and checks in place to prevent this occurring.  I would imagine if a coach who had been done was to rock up at a club and given a job then she would most likely be approached for comment. What exactly are you wanting her to say are you just trying some good old fashioned whataboutery? 

25 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

My discomfort on DGW has increased this week.  I was in the 'rehabilitation and earn a living' camp when he signed and his goals saving Clyde helped me justify that thinking.  However, learning that he was such a highly paid player and him pushing to leave, has changed my views. Reading the written judgement, doesn't paint him in a positive light in any way.

Did you not read the judgement before he signed for Clyde? 

Danny Lennon said in October he desired a creative midfielder and admitted recruitment was poor.

Transfer window is over and we've only signed a right back and a 19 year old striker and lost the league's top goalscorer.

Are we better off after the transfer window than we were before it?

Window to loan players is open until the end of February I'm sure.

I think the thing for goodie is back to us or he retires… don’t think any club would want to take the media heat that he’s carrying right now, our club has taken enough damage n personally as much as I love him as a player n I’m thankful for all he’s done for us, I wouldn’t want him back and I think we should be looking forward into new beginnings without him 

I’m of the same view, it would be a misjudged move and we shouldn’t be doing it. If they did consider it, I would hope there would be a process of consultation with the fanbase, especially considering we are supposed to be a ‘supporter-run’ club.

It feels like, given all that's happened over the past few days and Goodwillie's desire to leave Clyde, that him returning would be more bad publicity than it's worth for you guys.

If you pocketed the money for the player (which you shouldn't now lose given that Raith knew his background when they signed him) then you'd be better investing that in someone else imo.

7 minutes ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

I think the thing for goodie is back to us or he retires… don’t think any club would want to take the media heat that he’s carrying right now, our club has taken enough damage n personally as much as I love him as a player n I’m thankful for all he’s done for us, I wouldn’t want him back and I think we should be looking forward into new beginnings without him 

If it’s not Clyde, he’ll probably go abroad and player in the lower leagues of some random country