Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

22 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

The Captain is merely a PR position within the club.

It definitely isn't this, at all.

At whatever level of football, the captain is an essential link between management and the players. Normally in changing rooms there is a leadership group headed up by the captain - coordinating everything from fines to nights out. As touched upon earlier, the captain should be level headed because ultimately they're the on pitch representative that can speak to the referee.

This whole 'captains don't matter' stuff is bollocks. A good captain makes a lot of difference.

It definitely isn't this, at all.
At whatever level of football, the captain is an essential link between management and the players. Normally in changing rooms there is a leadership group headed up by the captain - coordinating everything from fines to nights out. As touched upon earlier, the captain should be level headed because ultimately they're the on pitch representative that can speak to the referee.
This whole 'captains don't matter' stuff is bollocks. A good captain makes a lot of difference.
Then it should be the choice of the players

Docherty is the guy I'd be handing captaincy to for the moment, absolutely the most qualified one for it among the current squad. I suspect it will be Love, though, in another seismic PR blunder. Going forward I'd like to see Cuddihy given the armband given his growing experience, ever-presence (when fit) and length of service, but he'd maybe have to be groomed into the role as he's not the most vocal figure. 

19 minutes ago, David W said:

I see the local Kirkcaldy press is reporting a 50k fee.

A long way from the  £100k we were told was our ask.  Saw someone on Raith thread confidently state it was £65k.  If either true it’s disappointing for Scotland’s top scorer with 18 months remaining on his contract.

Given that Goodwillie has now left, I'd prefer to avoid having a convicted racist as the captain. That just pours more fuel on flames that will hopefully start to burn out.

Absolutely this. It was bad enough we harboured Goodwillie for 5 years making him captain was a step too far imo. Yes, he was a great player and pulled us up from the brink of the lowland league but at what cost to our reputation. Idiots on here saying he was their hero clearly belong on the register too.

Love is a committed player but not the character we want as captain for me, although given he’s had the band recently I assume he will inherit it.

Cuddihy is a good player and great servant to the club, although maybe not vocal enough to be captain.

I think Parry is the stand out candidate even though he’s a goalie.

18 minutes ago, JBJ said:

A long way from the  £100k we were told was our ask.  Saw someone on Raith thread confidently state it was £65k.  If either true it’s disappointing for Scotland’s top scorer with 18 months remaining on his contract.

For a 33 year old part time player, it’s a pretty big number tbh.  

I see one possible solution Raith fans are floating is quietly loaning DG back to us. No way we should entertain that with the massive attention this story has now gained. DG didn’t realise how good he had it flying under the radar of most while with us, he was very lucky to be playing football at all. Now it’s completely blown up on him.

2 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

I see one possible solution Raith fans are floating is quietly loaning DG back to us. No way we should entertain that with the massive attention this story has now gained. DG didn’t realise how good he had it flying under the radar of most while with us, he was very lucky to be playing football at all. Now it’s completely blown up on him.

He's left us. He should never be back, not now. It's done enough damage with it all bubbling over again.

It's been a long week.  I honestly didn't think it would end this way.  I posted weeks ago that if he wanted to leave, maybe getting £££ rather than having a player in the team who'd rather be elsewhere, was acceptable. 

I think that DGW has been badly advised. The early feedback from Raith and Falkirk should have tweaked his awareness, but  either his ego or advisor took over.  With us he'd gone through the pain with the stick he took from opposition fans, benefited from lockdown and was a big fish in a wee pond.

As others have said, we should move on and hope we can rebalance the dressing room and not have 1 player drawing something like 1/3 of the wage bill, if rumours are to be believed.

9 hours ago, CM. said:

Did QP not loan a boy from Bolton yesterday (after deadline)? 

Probably but in terms of leadership on the park I think Docherty would be a decent shout. Providing he's going to remain a regular starter.

He was signed on Monday just not announced till the Tuesday.

5 hours ago, You Only Live Twice said:

For me, the captaincy should go to Cuddihy, or Parry in his absence.

Love is an absolute servant but too hot headed and another centre of unnecessary controversy.

How is Love controversial surely a racist is nothing compared with Goodwillies  alleged misdemeanour.

I think if he came back we would drag ourselves into the current uproar, not that we haven’t taken plenty stick for it anyway. 

Parry would probably be my captain even though he’s been there a short time. The captain is an important part of team and someone others should look to for a bit of leadership. 

1 hour ago, RosspCfc said:

He's left us. He should never be back, not now. It's done enough damage with it all bubbling over again.

Yes it would be bad press we don’t need, the press I’m waiting for is the apology from Logan , the Cove backroom staff and the press that were quick to jump on the fabricated racist story