Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

28 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Who says we have a massive pot of money in our player budget?

The board won’t reinvest all DGW saved salary next year in the playing budget I would guess

Well given, as people keep telling me, DG took up a lot of it which explains the really poor quality of player throughout the squad, it stands to reason we have a fair chunk of money freed up to invest in new players of a more better standard, no?

If we don’t improve the squad then selling him was a complete waste of time and maybe even our L1 status.

32 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Well given, as people keep telling me, DG took up a lot of it which explains the really poor quality of player throughout the squad, it stands to reason we have a fair chunk of money freed up to invest in new players of a more better standard, no?

If we don’t improve the squad then selling him was a complete waste of time and maybe even our L1 status.

Yeah freed up a large part of the playing budget but expect the budget will be cut next year and bring us back to a level without DGW salary in it so really will probably be back to the budget that the current squad takes up

Sorry to see him go but he has been outstanding for Clyde.

the next two games will define the season. Win at East Fife and then against Dumbarton and I would say job done- be very hard to catch Clyde. 4 points would also probably be fine, but lose them and it will be a long end to the season.

Form suggests 4 or more points, but will the good luck hold?

6 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Yeah freed up a large part of the playing budget but expect the budget will be cut next year and bring us back to a level without DGW salary in it so really will probably be back to the budget that the current squad takes up

Why would the budget be cut for next season when we’ve sold arguably our 2 best players and top earners this season for money?

18 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Why would the budget be cut for next season when we’ve sold arguably our 2 best players and top earners this season for money?

I assume because the board said they budgeted for a loss this season so, if they budget for breakeven next season, that will make a dent in any money freed up by Goodwillie leaving. It will come down to how big a loss we make after the sales.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I’d be interested to know if there are many fans who continued their boycott of the club will now return. Not having a go here not at all, I respect their decision.

However, just wondered if it was a significant number in the end?

Will they return as of Saturday and buy half season ticket etc?

I think football is a habit on a Saturday and those supporters will have found something else to do so doubt a return will happen. Whatever the number ultimately was, I suspect it was very small number in any case.

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I’d be interested to know if there are many fans who continued their boycott of the club will now return. Not having a go here not at all, I respect their decision.

However, just wondered if it was a significant number in the end?

Will they return as of Saturday and buy half season ticket etc?

I think football is a habit on a Saturday and those supporters will have found something else to do so doubt a return will happen. Whatever the number ultimately was, I suspect it was very small number in any case.

The high profile like John mason and would love to be high profile like Bobby Gracey weren’t gone for a while once they knew that their desperate pleas for publicity were falling on deaf ears. 

agree on the other fans who stuck by their principles, and hopefully they do come back 

Edited by Shetto Clyde Man

We knew Goodwillie had handed in a transfer request weeks ago.

We knew that clubs were interested and I'm in no doubt we were negotiating an acceptable transfer fee.

Why in God's name did we not have new signings prepped and ready to sign when Goodwillie moved on last night?

15 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

Wonder if Goodie still thinks moving was a good idea, what a shit storm it’s created, and the abuse he’ll get both home and away. 

I don’t think it will bother him one bit. He like most players won’t read all that stuff and players of his standard just don’t pay any attention to what get hurled at them from stands.. that’s why they are so good, mentality is so strong, in the sporting sense. 
That said if both parties want to change their minds then fine.

John Mason was back pretty quickly tbh. Probably after the hat trick against Elgin [emoji23]
I have infinitely more respect for Val McDermid than I have for the MSP for Glasgow Shettleston who has been very silent on a certain issue within his own constituency.

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

We knew Goodwillie had handed in a transfer request weeks ago.

We knew that clubs were interested and I'm in no doubt we were negotiating an acceptable transfer fee.

Why in God's name did we not have new signings prepped and ready to sign when Goodwillie moved on last night?

Well I didn’t know he had handed in a transfer request - heard that he wanted full time football. 

and if you are in no doubt we were negotiating an acceptable transfer fee, why in gods name did it go through so late ? Maybe the club were consistent in only accepting an acceptable bid?

no one on here knows everything, but let’s not stop the finger pointing ;)