Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

First game for a while for me, so three thank you messages.

1. To Danny Lennon for seeing that changes needed to be made and finding a way to get results. Not pretty but if we kick-off in Div. 1 next year few will complain.

2. To the players who whilst being short of some of the more attractive skills have taken on board the message and the criticism and delivered the results.

3. To Alloa Athletic FC -  The gift that keeps on giving. Could contribute hugely to our league survival. Cheers to you.

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

First game for a while for me, so three thank you messages.

1. To Danny Lennon for seeing that changes needed to be made and finding a way to get results. Not pretty but if we kick-off in Div. 1 next year few will complain.

2. To the players who whilst being short of some of the more attractive skills have taken on board the message and the criticism and delivered the results.

3. To Alloa Athletic FC -  The gift that keeps on giving. Could contribute hugely to our league survival. Cheers to you.

Or not lowland league in 2years. 

I thought Nick McAllister played really well on Saturday in the kind of sitter role. Ideally he plays at right back when everyone is fit.

I was very confused (as usual) with our starting formation. It looked like a 4-1-3-2 but correct me if I'm wrong, which I almost certainly am:

Parry

Page  Rumsby  Elsdon  Docherty

McAllister

Love            Splaine        Livingstone

Jamieson   Jones

From where I was sitting the shape only really became clear briefly as a 4-2-3-1 when Nicoll and Goodwillie came on, but then became somewhat amorphous when Balatoni, Mortimer and Tade came on. Adam Livingstone seemed to be sitting far too deep to be playing left midfield/wing in front of Docherty. It's clearly working at the moment and is getting the best from a fairly limited group of players, so who cares really. Goodwillie looked extremely laboured when he came on too, and at times it felt like we were almost a man down because he was simply so far away from the play - clearly still carrying that injury, but I can see why Danny stuck him on. Ultimately, I think BF shot himself in the foot by taking of Cawley who was by far their most creative outlet.

I'm happy with Jamieson and McAllister but we obviously need more through the door.

Agreed ish on the formation.  I thought Livingstone was man marking the Alloa #2...was that Taggart? 

I think both Mortimer and Balantoni were replacements for 1 injury, so outside standard assessment.  

Be interested to know what the injury status of both our centre halves.  Also strange that although our physio was on to attend to Balatoni, he didn't leave the pitch.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

4 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

All quiet on the Goodwillie front?

Premier side out of contention as they signed Lafferty.

Heard there was interest again from Fife team, which I thought had been closed down.  

If we get an acceptable transfer fee, I think he will go, but the fee will.be the stumbling block.  

DGW seems to have been carrying some injury or another for about 10 months now.

13 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Agreed ish on the formation.  I thought Livingstone was man marking the Alloa #2...was that Taggart? 

I think both Mortimer and Balantoni were replacements for 1 injury, so outside standard assessment.  

Be interested to know what the injury status of both our centre halves.  Also strange that although our physio was on to attend to Balatoni, he didn't leave the pitch.

Sammon was booked. The injured player doesn't need to leave when that happens.

What was strange was us getting an early freekick for offside when Splaine punted the ball to an Alloa player.

The formation we had Jamieson playing wide right when defending, with Love pushing inside. 

1 hour ago, David W said:

Sammon was booked. The injured player doesn't need to leave when that happens.

That's interesting! Didn't even realise that was a rule.

1 hour ago, David W said:

The formation we had Jamieson playing wide right when defending, with Love pushing inside. 

Good spot too, that passed me by. I never really think players playing two different positions works, especially in L1/2 when it's like a tennis match. Not that Jones would be able to knock anything down to Jamieson if they were close anyway.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Premier side out of contention as they signed Lafferty.

Heard there was interest again from Fife team, which I thought had been closed down.  

If we get an acceptable transfer fee, I think he will go, but the fee will.be the stumbling block.  

DGW seems to have been carrying some injury or another for about 10 months now.

I was sure Lafferty had signed for Kilmarnock. Interesting.

Sporting-wise, obviously a colossal blow. Transforms the season from increasingly looking safe back to looking quite doubtful, though we have still been picking up points lately. In every other sense though, silver linings can be found. It's become an utter embarrassment how singularly reliant we were on him, his presence at the club will no doubt have been damaging with regards to building and maintaining commercial relationships and, if any fans couldn't bring themselves to support us while he was here, hopefully we'll see them back.

Edited by the_bully_wee

Good luck to DGW for his move but disappointed on a number of fronts

1. Undisclosed fee so won’t know what went for but won’t be what it should have been.  Bet it less than £50k

2. Too late in the window to get any replacement in.  If deal wasn’t completed last week should have been no deal

Surely the board don’t think we can get through this season with current squad.

Might do but good chance won’t