Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

There’s clearly some kind of ‘tactic’ re: the signings. Any dafty could look at the players available and identify that the likes of Joe McKee, Russell MacLean, Morgyn Neill etc would improve the team and move to sign them. We’re based centrally, have a generally well regarded manager and are reasonably placed in L1 - all attractive propositions for players. Yet we’re signing players like Owen Andrew, Rob Jones and Billy Mortimer. As has been said, DL signed McStay, Grant, Rankin, Banks etc so he is clearly able to identify what’s required to improve the squad.

There’s a disconnect there, something we’re not seeing, and it stinks.

One player I think we should attempt to sign is Alan Trouten - he would be perfect to sit in at 10 and link Goodie and the midfield. We desperately need some kind of creativity to transition midfield play into attack, and if that’s not touched upon in January then something is really wrong. I don’t mean some joey from Rangers B, we need an established SPFL player.

1 hour ago, Jack Phillips said:

Correct me if I am wrong but Danny Lennon signed players like Ray Grant, Chris McStay, Tom lang, Dylan Cogil and Jack boyle all at I'd say a decent level for both league 1 & 2. What has happened to his judgement of potential players to sign? He has clearly made some good signings in the past. Why has that so difficult for him since we have been promoted? 

Good question but most of his signings since promotion have been hopeless

At the end of the day as a manager the majority of your signing need to work out for you to have success.

Mitchell was a good signing but more like due to the the goalkeeping coach we had at the time Fahey rather than DL

On paper I thought Chris Johnston would be a good signing but he just never worked out as I thought he would

Other than those 2 can’t think of any other decent signings since promotion (wait and see - someone will come along and pull someone out the hat have forgotten)

The summer window started off well too with Gomis. Don't think there's many that would've thought that was a poor signing. Then the same day we announced Mark Docherty (who by all accounts has had a marked improvement in recent weeks but still a big ? of a signing). 

The season we came up I could see the thinking behind the likes of Johnston, Wallace and Smith (up there with the better L2 players) but it just didn't seem to happen for any of them. 

Edited by CM.

I think it’s clear we need signings big time, imo if we’re going for loans we need players that are actually gna improve our squad like Otoo did. Personally from going to watch the Clyde vs Celtic colts game id be going for Moffat or Vata, two incredibly pacey and skillful wingers full of confidence who ripped us to shreads n I think would do a job in our team n league. We can’t be going for League 1/2 bench warmers n saying “they’re experienced players with great quality” well if they’re so great then why are they sitting on the bench every week??? Danny and the recruitment team need to get their fingers out and get a few good players in the door n hope we can secure a top 7 finish 

32 minutes ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Personally from going to watch the Clyde vs Celtic colts game id be going for Moffat or Vata, two incredibly pacey and skillful wingers full of confidence who ripped us to shreads n I think would do a job in our team n league.

I'd heard we were going for Moffat, with his age and him having had a taste of first team football you'd think he'd want to get out and play in the SPFL but who knows. Even if he does come, we're still crying out for a couple of established players, as we always are.

13 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Good question but most of his signings since promotion have been hopeless

At the end of the day as a manager the majority of your signing need to work out for you to have success.

Mitchell was a good signing but more like due to the the goalkeeping coach we had at the time Fahey rather than DL

On paper I thought Chris Johnston would be a good signing but he just never worked out as I thought he would

Other than those 2 can’t think of any other decent signings since promotion (wait and see - someone will come along and pull someone out the hat have forgotten)

I hope adding Howie and maybe Livingstone and Cunningham doesn't dispute your case too much...I genuinely wonder how many of these signings (good and bad) were spotted by DL or AM?  I don't think either take in any matches with an eye on scouting.  

Unhappily, we have a system that hasn't worked.  Our summer additions prove that.  DL loses if "he" signs the caliber of player we did in the summer, but he also loses if we make no signings. 

What’s the point of having and paying for a ‘recruitment team’ if we aren’t making moves.

We could have signed the same shite (or similar) we got in the summer and nobody in January without shelling out a salary to a recruitment team. Might even be more money in the pot without wasting it on them.

What’s the point of having and paying for a ‘recruitment team’ if we aren’t making moves.

We could have signed the same shite (or similar) we got in the summer and nobody in January without shelling out a salary to a recruitment team. Might even be more money in the pot without wasting it on them.
The issue for me was the fans knew many were poor signings before they even played a game for Clyde.

How the hell did the recruitment team and Danny Lennon not see what we, as amateurs, could see?

20 hours ago, Jack Phillips said:

Correct me if I am wrong but Danny Lennon signed players like Ray Grant, Chris McStay, Tom lang, Dylan Cogil and Jack boyle all at I'd say a decent level for both league 1 & 2. What has happened to his judgement of potential players to sign? He has clearly made some good signings in the past. Why has that so difficult for him since we have been promoted? 

Also John Rankin

16 hours ago, shawfielder said:

Have I missed it or has there been any update on the investigation into the incident at the Cove game, either from the club or Scotland’s finest.

Think you will find it has been swept under the carpet to save Shay Logan from any embarrassment of having to retract his comments as any finding, either way, would surely have been made public by now

Edited by Bullyweeno1

2 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Think you will find it has been swept under the carpet to save Shat Logan from any embarrassment of having to retract his comments as any finding, either way, would surely have been made public by now

Club are still dealing with it. There's not a carpet big enough. 

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

21st of January and absolutely zero sign of any bodies arriving.

Pathetic and infuriating, especially when it's so obvious what we need.

And Dumbarton just signed another player - on loan this time.

Seems they have a recruitment team who actually do what it says on the tin !