Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

11 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Can I just say, the weird rape apology guys don’t speak for all of us. Sorry.

I was just thinking there must be decent Clyde fans whose toes are curling in embarrassment at this.

There must be.

37 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Can I just say, the weird rape apology guys don’t speak for all of us. Sorry.

I'm not sure exactly who you're including in "weird rape apology guys", but are you not the chap who said our signing of Goodwillie *almost* made you stop attending Clyde games, but us signing a Conservative-voting player would have made you stop for sure? Apologies if this is mistaken identity and not the case.

Who's tried to defend Goodwillie here? The closest thing to a defence of him (by a Clyde fan) that's been launched is the statement of simple facts; that he was never criminally convicted and was only found guilty of the crime on the balance of probability. Haufdaft has also raised the pertinent point that there are a hell of a lot of unknown rapists in football and wider society who will never be brought to any small kind of justice and are thereby greater re-offending risks. That could include a best mate of you or I, or a revered player at either of our clubs. Unfortunately, rape remains a massive problem in society and even more unfortunately it is nigh on impossible to prove beyond reasonable doubt in most instances.
You (and others) have come on to this thread and made a lot of repetitive and tiresome noise, but fundamentally all this debate boils down to is a difference of opinions regarding how offenders should be able to continue with their lives. You think they should be made invisible, others can see the safeguarding merit in them having an ongoing public profile and working in an environment where the risk of on-the-job re-offence is as close as possible to zero. There is absolutely nobody here mounting any kind of a defence of the individual involved or trying to downplay the severity of the crime he likely committed; I'm sure we all agree in the strongest terms that rape is an utterly deplorable and sickening crime, despite our divergent opinions about the nature of life thereafter for perpetrators. Plenty of folk seem to come on to this thread when Goodwillie's name is in the papers under the assumption that Clyde fans are rape apologists, which just plainly isn't true. 
Excellent post

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Your literal hero in life is a rapist. You have already lost the argument mate.

Rapist, are you sure? I must have missed him being convicted part but you obviously know more than anyone else. If he was proven to be have been a rapist then fair enough and he wouldn’t have kicked a ball again but he hasn’t and remains accused rapist, big difference. My praise for him is for what he has done on the pitch in a professional capacity, you can argue until the end of time and neither of us will know what really happened that night, well everyone except you that is.

Edited by Pride Of The Clyde

3 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Raith have signed a striker and Falkirk recalled Dowds. Good news for Clyde.

They'll probably sell him back to Arbroath and use any money from that to bump up an offer for Goodwillie. He's been great for Arbroath this season, would make sense!

14 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I’ll apologise, I only seen it mentioned on the Falkirk thread that he had been through the courts, I hadn’t taken the time to read into it….

obviously in any case then He shouldn’t still be playing football certainly in any of the pyramid tiers in Scottish football. 

as for your reply, it’s obviously compulsory to finish any sentence with an insult in airdrie so I’ll let you off seen as it’s clearly just in your nature 👍🏼

^ Seems deeply disingenuous, I've seen the Falkirk thread where the salient facts were mentioned more than once. Absolutely no reason you'd have missed those posts.

If you had missed it, and therefore happened not to know the actual facts of the matter, maybe you should have kept schtum and not made any declarations about what had happened, stating it as fact and asking what more he could do since he had been "dragged through the courts" and found not guilty. If you don't know that to be true, either check it out before saying it is true, or better yet, shut up about it. 

Anyway; As a Cumbernauld local, i'm hoping Danny Lennon et al retain Goodwillie and thereby avoid relegation. Make it so, Clyde. 

1 hour ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Montrose announcing Michael Gardyne on a 2 1/2 year deal… Would have been a good signing for us in a position we’re desperate for players 

Our recruitment team probably didn’t even know he was getting released. They’ll be scouring the juniors for loan signings as we speak.

It is quite scary, considering how rank we are (despite recent return) that there has not been a peep from the club even to say they are actively looking or even close to signing anyone. 

Obviously the Goodwillie thing may be effecting things but I sincerely hope they don’t think the team have turned some kind of corner that they don’t need to vastly improve the the starting 11, not just the squad!

7 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

It is quite scary, considering how rank we are (despite recent return) that there has not been a peep from the club even to say they are actively looking or even close to signing anyone. 

Obviously the Goodwillie thing may be effecting things but I sincerely hope they don’t think the team have turned some kind of corner that they don’t need to vastly improve the the starting 11, not just the squad!

When asked if he would like to comment on potential incomings, a club official linked to recruitment said NO.

There's a lot of teams who are waiting for new players and their fans are surprised they haven't brought anyone in.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of stuff has been held up due to the covid escalation and teams not wanting to be left short, however temporarily.