Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Just now, Harry Haddock said:

Let’s face it.None of you have a clue.

Goodwillie is on record as saying  he wants to stay at Clyde until he is 40.

As good as that would be, as still think he could do a job when he is 40, that aint going to happen. 

I would settle for another 2 years onto his contract which would take him till he is 35 rather than sign anyone this month.

23 minutes ago, haufdaft said:
2 hours ago, JBJ said:
Limited funds?

Are you suggesting we have unlimited funds?

Don’t be silly.... I mean daft

28 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Understand that Livi put an offer in before he signed the 3.5 year deal but the clubs couldnt agree on a fee.

That may well be so. However, I was referring to the contract he signed on 31st March, 2017, an amateur deal until the end of that season.

He signed his 3 year+ deal on 18th January 2020.

So, back to my question, that it may be worthy of debate, as to who were the clubs showing serious interest before he signed in 2017.

Edited by Mamtora

40 minutes ago, Mamtora said:

That may well be so. However, I was referring to the contract he signed on 31st March, 2017, an amateur deal until the end of that season.

So, back to my question, that it may be worthy of debate, as to who were the clubs showing serious interest before he signed in 2017.

Or not.

49 minutes ago, Mamtora said:

So is it more important to try and get specific what exact date interest was shown previously - “worthy of debate?” To score points against a Clyde fan or should we deal with the very real proposal that Goodwillie  could  be leaving us soon  

5 hours ago, JBJ said:

He’s no an electrician. Disnae huv another job.
thats twice noo you’ve said about how good his wage is.... how dae you know what Clyde are paying him?. 

This is a very weird comment. He’s currently learning his trade as an apprentice and doing 1 on 1 coaching. It’s all fairly common knowledge. He’s literally from Stirling and still lives and works around that area, so can’t really hide it. As far as money goes, he was declared bankrupt in 2019. 

You couldn’t blame him for wanting a shot at a higher level but would it really be worth the hassle for him? He’s currently the biggest fish we’ve ever had in our very small pond and things have (mostly) died down re: the furore. From a purely selfish (from him) pov, would he put himself and his family through it again? Would his wife or work be happy with all the media clamour against him being dredged up again? I doubt it.

I could be wrong, but I think the only way he leaves Clyde is by dropping out of the SPFL and signing with a Darvel, for instance.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

2 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Pretty sure he went bankrupt in 2019 over unpaid taxes. 

Seems to be quite common thing in footballers and ex footballers who have made dodgy decisions in regards to investments and purchases. Not entirely sure how it works but is this not just a case of moving money around and writing off certain debts? Selling things off etc? 

20 minutes ago, Shetto Clyde Man said:

So is it more important to try and get specific what exact date interest was shown previously - “worthy of debate?” To score points against a Clyde fan or should we deal with the very real proposal that Goodwillie  could  be leaving us soon  

Well, if you were able to follow the thread properly, you may not need to use to consecutive posts to come to an incorrect conclusion.

I wished to clarify the post which claimed Goodwillie had been a subject of serious interest prior to signing for Clyde.

I received a response which was relevant to his contract extension in January 2020.

I'd still like to know which full-time clubs were interested before March 2017. (as suggested in the original post)

Why don't you expand on your phrase, " the very real proposal that Goodwillie could be leaving us soon."?

Danny Lennon has in effect said "hands off".

Is DL wrong?

3 minutes ago, Mamtora said:

Well, if you were able to follow the thread properly, you may not need to use to consecutive posts to come to an incorrect conclusion.

I wished to clarify the post which claimed Goodwillie had been a subject of serious interest prior to signing for Clyde.

I received a response which was relevant to his contract extension in January 2020.

I'd still like to know which full-time clubs were interested before March 2017. (as suggested in the original post)

Why don't you expand on your phrase, " the very real proposal that Goodwillie could be leaving us soon."?

Is DL wrong?

It was suggested full time clubs were interested the preceding year of him signing his extension- which you state was in 2020, therefore 2019 was when interest was widely reported from Livingston.

but correcting you’re incorrect assumptions is like having a pop at a fellow fan , more pressing issues at hand 

1 hour ago, Mamtora said:

Who said there was any clubs showing serious interest before he signed in 2017?

That’s why he ended up signing with us as think we were bottom of L2 at the time so couldn’t start any lower in the professional game

4 hours ago, Mamtora said:

"Having been the subject of serious interest from full-time clubs in the preceding year", you say.

Interesting. 

Between Jan 2017 and March 2017, Caledonian Amatuer League team,  Doune Castle was able to sign Goodwillie, despite this "serious interest"?

Worthy of debate as to just who these full-time clubs were showing, "serious interest".

Think you are getting your dates mixed up

DGW signed his 3.5 year deal in Jan 2020

Livingston wanted to sign him in the summer of 2018 so I would say that is full time clubs showing serious interest (year before he signed the longer contract

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2827284/david-goodwillie-livingston-clyde-aberdeen-dundee-united-premiership/amp/

Before then there was no one interested and haven’t seen any claim there was any interest  

1 hour ago, Mamtora said:

Is DL wrong?

The fact that DL has said hands off is irrelevant

We all know that players have the power these days regardless of the length of contract

If DGW has went and said to DL that he wants to leave and have one last try at a higher level I don’t think DL or the club would want to stand in his way.  

At the end of the day you don’t want an unhappy player at the club.  

Clyde has been good for DGW but DGW has definitely been good for Clyde and don’t know where we would be without the best player I have seen in 40 years as a fan

I would be disappointed to see him go but he would go with my best wishes for all he has done on the park

It just to me seems the interest is more solid this time than it has been before and the statement from DL is just positioning that we would want a reasonable fee for him

31 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

We all know that players have the power these days regardless of the length of contract

If DGW has went and said to DL that he wants to leave and have one last try at a higher level I don’t think DL or the club would want to stand in his way.  

Clyde has been good for DGW but DGW has definitely been good for Clyde and don’t know where we would be without the best player I have seen in 40 years as a fan

I would be disappointed to see him go but he would go with my best wishes for all he has done on the park

It just to me seems the interest is more solid this time than it has been before and the statement from DL is just positioning that we would want a reasonable fee for him

Agree with majority of this, the one telling factor is how far Falkirk are willing to go now that Raith appear to have succumbed to fan power. 
age aside he’s the top scorer in Scotland, and he is halfway through his contract. 
correct we don’t want a disgruntled player, but he cannot be allowed to leave for peanuts.

will Falkirk be prepared to meet the valuation of the club?

29 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I just feel that for him to get a quiet life with his family , playing football and coaching kids while building a career in something else beats hands down the pressure he would feel at somewhere like Falkirk. Does he need that exposure for a couple of years ? I believe that long term he will put more into football in a community based level and that will take time. No doubt he’ll have regrets but he’s currently in the early stages of a rebuild in his life which is a massive prospect at anyone let alone at 32. I’d be surprised if he left but if he does, then it’s up to him and I hope we get the best money for him if that happens, and wish him all the best too, as much as it would stick in my throat.