Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

How about supporting boys low on confidence and at the end had them clapping the fans and Danny saying how great we were. Great point today in dreadful conditions after conceding so late. I know this season has been rubbish but felt like a team and support for the first time in weeks today

I wish I could.

The problem is that today wasn't any improvement on recent performances. We were woeful today. The late equaliser can't hide the dreadful previous 90 minutes.

First half we hardly got near the opposition box with a hurricane at our backs.

Second half our only possession was Parry's goal kicks (out of play or returned via a Dumbarton head).

That was a horrible performance. No one can convince me otherwise.

I'm pretty sick of the "Danny's a good guy" and Danny's platitudes to the fans. He may be a great man. He may be genuine in his praise of the Clyde support.

However the simple fact is that he in in charge of a poor poor team. He signed the players. He picks the team. He chooses the tactics.

Hence my comment about the emperor's clothes.

Where is the substance to his "I'll get is out of this"comment?

He's living on the promotion season. It's been downhill ever since.

Chapman got hunted. Maybe he should have been more PR orientated and he'd still be in charge.

11 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I wish I could.

The problem is that today wasn't any improvement on recent performances. We were woeful today. The late equaliser can't hide the dreadful previous 90 minutes.

First half we hardly got near the opposition box with a hurricane at our backs.

Second half our only possession was Parry's goal kicks (out of play or returned via a Dumbarton head).

That was a horrible performance. No one can convince me otherwise.

I'm pretty sick of the "Danny's a good guy" and Danny's platitudes to the fans. He may be a great man. He may be genuine in his praise of the Clyde support.

However the simple fact is that he in in charge of a poor poor team. He signed the players. He picks the team. He chooses the tactics.

Hence my comment about the emperor's clothes.

Where is the substance to his "I'll get is out of this"comment?

He's living on the promotion season. It's been downhill ever since.

Chapman got hunted. Maybe he should have been more PR orientated and he'd still be in charge.

Maybe it's no Danny livin on the promotion season......shite squad in your opinion? Shite budget maist likely......why did Grant no come back? Why did Howie go tae Alloa? Why did players no want to come tae us? Endin up waty ony 9 signed  a few weeks before matches started says to me people kept saying naw.

Somethin no right here. 

and chapman? PR orientated? does that mean not fighting with supporters? never mind how shite a manager he was. He wid not have taken us up

Edited by JBJ

Ye can't make a judgement in conditions like those..........they showed fight today an page was immense. Let's see how it goes next week and probably mare revelant is East Fiffy at home. 
I'm not making a judgement purely on today's match. The past couple of seasons have been bad. This season in particular.

Today's performance was rotten because of the wind? Only partially.

Tactics were poor. For example in the second half, goal kicks to Jones's head. Half went directly out of play. He never won one knock on. We continued trying it even though we instantaneously lost possession.

Only two shots from distance in the first half with that wind behind us.

Midfield continuously goes missing in matches and I'm not even mentioning Robert Jones selection.

I thought Dumbarton performed much better in the conditions. They missed a few sitters. We were lucky to not be further behind in the game.

A late goal has hidden a lot of cracks... again

2 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I'm not making a judgement purely on today's match. The past couple of seasons have been bad. This season in particular.

Today's performance was rotten because of the wind? Only partially.

Tactics were poor. For example in the second half, goal kicks to Jones's head. Half went directly out of play. He never won one knock on. We continued trying it even though we instantaneously lost possession.

Only two shots from distance in the first half with that wind behind us.

Midfield continuously goes missing in matches and I'm not even mentioning Robert Jones selection.

I thought Dumbarton performed much better in the conditions. They missed a few sitters. We were lucky to not be further behind in the game.

A late goal has hidden a lot of cracks... again

Yer mind is made up. 

on Jones ah huv tae agree way you.

Yer mind is made up. 

on Jones ah huv tae agree way you.

To be honest my mind isn't made up. I'd still give Danny another transfer window to get us out of this. Last chance Saloon and all that.

Although I feel fans make excuses for Danny because of his personal style that they didn't make for others.

Only the results and performances matter to me. Anything else is in reality, "chaff"

Just now, haufdaft said:

To be honest my mind isn't made up. I'd still give Danny another transfer window to get us out of this. Last chance Saloon and all that.

Although I feel fans make excuses for Danny because of his personal style that they didn't make for others.

Only the results and performances matter to me. Anything else is in reality, "chaff"

Needs tae be a summer window...January windaes are nae use normally

15 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

For some time you've made your stance clear.  You place the responsibility for the team performance - players signed, tactics, results - solely at the door of the manager.

By the same token, do you accept how an oranization is run has a direct affect on its ability to operate and in turn determines the success of achieving its primary aims, and is the sole responsibility of those who run it ?

For some time you've made your stance clear.  You place the responsibility for the team performance - players signed, tactics, results - solely at the door of the manager.
By the same token, do you accept how an oranization is run has a direct affect on its ability to operate and in turn determines the success of achieving its primary aims, and is the sole responsibility of those who run it ?

Of course it does.

Every person involved in any capacity with the club have a responsibility to do their job to the best of their ability.

The board should maximise income and should provide the best they can afford to the manager.

My issue is I don't think Danny is maximising the use of the resources given to him. Just look at recruitment and the team selections. Danny admitted making mistakes. He also said, unprompted, that he was happy with the backing the directors gave him.

I don't feel able to comment on the performance of the board as I have no knowledge of corporate matters. I'm not even a member/owner.

What I would say is there's plenty of potentially excellent football managers that would desire the job as Clyde manager.

I doubt there's many excellent businessmen that want to be on the Clyde board. If there were I'm sure the current members would be happy to have them involved.

To throw the question back . If it was Chapman or Stuart Millar in charge would you be laying the blame on the board and excusing the manager? We were in a more difficult financial situation then but we rightfully judged them on results.

36 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Of course it does.

Every person involved in any capacity with the club have a responsibility to do their job to the best of their ability.

The board should maximise income and should provide the best they can afford to the manager.

My issue is I don't think Danny is maximising the use of the resources given to him. Just look at recruitment and the team selections. Danny admitted making mistakes. He also said, unprompted, that he was happy with the backing the directors gave him.

I don't feel able to comment on the performance of the board as I have no knowledge of corporate matters. I'm not even a member/owner.

What I would say is there's plenty of potentially excellent football managers that would desire the job as Clyde manager.

I doubt there's many excellent businessmen that want to be on the Clyde board. If there were I'm sure the current members would be happy to have them involved.

To throw the question back . If it was Chapman or Stuart Millar in charge would you be laying the blame on the board and excusing the manager? We were in a more difficult financial situation then but we rightfully judged them on results.

It seems that Danny is the only wan admitting he's made mistakes which is hoest at least

Youre a fan..you dont need tae be an owner to accept that the board have overall respnosability.

Yet again yesterday we’re seeing Tade come off the bench to make an impact with the assist. When is DL gna realise he needs to drop Jones and start Tade from the start even if he does only last for 60/70mins. Disappointing we never got the 3 points yesterday as I felt we were the better team but we never used the conditions to our advantage and we paid for that. Lucky we got at point at the end. Desperately need a win or even a draw at Firhill next week before the crunch match. But we can’t afford to let Peterhead/Dumbarton/Falkirk get too far ahead on points so hopefully this point turns things around. 

Yet again yesterday we’re seeing Tade come off the bench to make an impact with the assist. When is DL gna realise he needs to drop Jones and start Tade from the start even if he does only last for 60/70mins. Disappointing we never got the 3 points yesterday as I felt we were the better team but we never used the conditions to our advantage and we paid for that. Lucky we got at point at the end. Desperately need a win or even a draw at Firhill next week before the crunch match. But we can’t afford to let Peterhead/Dumbarton/Falkirk get too far ahead on points so hopefully this point turns things around. 

Don’t think we need to worry about Falkirk, the bottom four of us, Dumbarton, Peterhead and east fife is what we should focus on. Two massive home games vs east fife and Peterhead coming up soon. If we can get 6 points there we will be still in the fight by January.

42 minutes ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

There’s got tae be a good reason. Mibbe he just canny dae mare than 20

14 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Of course it does.

And if they don't have the ability to fulfill specific key roles which makes the club fully operational ?

Danny is a diplomat.  For example when he signs a player and praises his potential, would you expect him to say "well he's not my primary target, maybe not quite what I was after, but we'll hope for the best" while looking to get a performance out him every week ?  He may well have said he was happy with the backing he received while also making it clear that there were several first choice targets we lost out on because the players concerned were made better financial offers elsewhere and Clyde couldn't compete with them.  Of course he's made mistakes, all managers do, but if as it seems from what you say above you understand the basic concept of cause & effect, you should be able to put into context what he's being asked to do where the direct competition are working off larger budgets

I don't feel able to comment on the performance of the board as I have no knowledge of corporate matters.

But you do have knowledge on football management and all that entails ?  Would you need an in depth knowledge of corporate matters to understand that the club are struggling to provide the manager with a level playing field at a relatively low league level, and that an entire area of its operation which would be responsible for doing is effectively non existent ?  Recently you've said owning your own ground is, without exception, better than renting, the inference being that's the answer to all our problems.  How would you know that if, as you say, you have no understanding of corporate matters ?   

I'm not even a member/owner.

You sure ?

How do you know that, can you name one ?  What would you say would be the attraction of a club who can't compete with other L1 budgets for "excellent" managers and who have yet to decide on a clear long term future for the club ?

Again, as you state you have no knowledge of corporate matters, how do you know people from the corporate world would not be interested in being on the board ? Is there any history of any having been approached from outwith the club, asked, but declined ?

In a general sense we were at the early stages of Project Austerity when Millar was in charge, and in League 2 at the time.  There is the broader question whether it was absolutely necessary to go to the extremes of "zero debt" as opposed to "serviceable debt" and the consequences the club suffered over an extensive period of time.   However, by the time Chapman came in we were either completely out of that period, or about to be.   Chapman had a bizarre approach the minute he walked in the door, immediately criticizing the supporters and very quickly throwing all his players under a bus.   Lennon is streets ahead of either of those two.

Lennon got us promoted and was building a team.  The standard of that team in our first season up was a good base but had to be improved and developed in a gradual, progressive way.  The quality has since regressed.  What at the club has changed from the point we were promoted to now ?      

Ok. I feel a little under fire here but that's fine it is about opinions after all.

Apologies to BrightonClyde but the format of his reply makes it difficult for me to respond easily but I'll do my best.

Re. Board matters, I do not have a willingness to criticise volunteers carrying out important business for the club. They have flaws and probably are not the best but I've not heard of any other options.
I do not know any of the board. I have not spoken to any of them on a personal basis. My only experience of them is through club forums etc. I believe they have integrity. Perhaps you think differently?

Do I believe they would step aside if an individual or group approached them with what the board believe would benefit and improve the club? I believe they would. Again, perhaps you think differently?

That's why I believe no one has came forward as I feel they would be on the board by now. I can't remember the last time there was a vote to elect a board member contrary to the board wishes. So no one has came forward.

In saying that I think the current board could do better. For example it always amazes me that companies such as Barrs and Farmfoods don't seem to be represented as sponsors in some way.

Income obviously has an effect on team matters. That's obvious. The abilities of the board contribute to that. My question would be, who else is there?

Regarding Danny Lennon's comments at the forum. Danny is a diplomat. He is a good speaker that comes across as a man of integrity. I think if he didn't believe the board was giving him good backing he wouldn't have said it.

He says he takes full responsibility. Again I believe him. I am taking him at his word.

You gloss over recruitment by saying, "Of course he's made mistakes, all managers do".

This is a major issue with the playing squad. It's something that can make or break managers. He admits he waited too long for first choices to make up their minds missing out on second, third and fourth choices. That's his words. Allowing players to prevaricate was his fault, not the board. In my opinion that is the main reason we are where we are. You may disagree.

The board didn't choose to play Jones every week. Nor play Rumsby as full fullback etc. That is on Danny.

Danny also signed two right backs that he obviously has little confidence in. Two left backs that he has little confidence in.

Two players on two year contacts that are below the standard required.

These are things you don't do when money is tight. It's wasted money.

Perhaps a smaller squad with better quality would've been better.
That is Danny's choice.

Re. My views on the stadium. I made them based on statements from the board. You may differ in your opinion.

Re. My membership/ownership status. I'm pretty sure I'm not a member as I've not paid for two years. Perhaps you were inferring that I'm associated in some way with the board. I'm not (see above)

Re. New manager. I've stated a few times that I do not want Danny sacked. I think he should be allowed to continue. What does concern me is the ignoring of many footballing failures by fans because Danny is a good guy.

If we do end up seeking a new manager in the future there will be plenty of applicants, many of whom you'd expect, by the law of averages, to be good candidates. Whether the club have the ability to pick the right person is up for debate.

Sorry if I've missed anything.

I hope Danny turns it around. I do like him and wish him success.

We may not have the biggest of budgets but there is no getting away from the fact that Lennon has squandered a significant amount of it on some utter dross.

Whatever wages have been spent on McCormack, Cassidy, Andrews and McGrath could have been utilised elsewhere.

Then bringing in the likes of Mortimer, Jones, Docherty etc with Lennon's comments when they signed ridiculously over the top. He then resigns Munro despite knowing how limited a player he is and the same for Rumsby.

As for the board, they try their best and are hard working but their skill set is limited and its the same faces that have been there the past 20 years. We could really be doing with some fresh faces and ideas.