Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

2 hours ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Fucking joke that. Eating my own words here but I though Docherty actually played quite well along with Page. We’re fucked FULLSTOP

I agree. Ironically the defence looked ok. To me it was when the midfield tried to help out it went wrong. I'd have said Docherty, Page and Elsdon were top 3.

1 hour ago, bullyweehutch said:
1 hour ago, DGW9 said:
That post match interview is interesting

Delusional

I thought for the best part of the first half Falkirk didn't get much of a sniff of goal so in terms of execution of the game plan he's probably right. Up until right before HT.

Even if by some miracle we are not marooned at the bottom by January how can we trust Lennon to recruit what is required?

We are not talking a couple of players to fix this, we very near need a full team. The squad we have assembled is miles away from what is needed at this level, how could so many of us see that even in the summer yet none of our recruitment team could. How hard did they expect these turds could be polished?

24 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Even if by some miracle we are not marooned at the bottom by January how can we trust Lennon to recruit what is required?

We are not talking a couple of players to fix this, we very near need a full team. The squad we have assembled is miles away from what is needed at this level, how could so many of us see that even in the summer yet none of our recruitment team could. How hard did they expect these turds could be polished?

I understood that, although Danny Lennon has the last say in who gets a contract, players for consideration were to be sourced by the Head of Football Operations and his Head of Recruitment. Perhaps it is them you cannot "trust"? Or am I mistaken? In either case, who's doing the recruitment?

34 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

At least 4 maybe 5. And Im no sure the reserve goalie wouldnt be an improvement on Parry. A Right back, an attacking mod, a striker and a winger and a centre back. BUt will the board allow this? Are they happy to have us in league 2 with the odd shot at playoffs? Disnae look like they want to go up from League 1 and we are struggling year on year at this level with the monet available.

6 minutes ago, Mamtora said:

I understood that, although Danny Lennon has the last say in who gets a contract, players for consideration were to be sourced by the Head of Football Operations and his Head of Recruitment. Perhaps it is them you cannot "trust"? Or am I mistaken? In either case, who's doing the recruitment?

Who knows...Diamond not too keen on talking about his inoput according to people at the meetin oan tuesday

At least 4 maybe 5. And Im no sure the reserve goalie wouldnt be an improvement on Parry. A Right back, an attacking mod, a striker and a winger and a centre back. BUt will the board allow this? Are they happy to have us in league 2 with the odd shot at playoffs? Disnae look like they want to go up from League 1 and we are struggling year on year at this level with the monet available.

There is a very real danger we will not stay in League 2, with league sizes of 10 there is not much of a ‘safety zone’ and the quality improves year on year with new clubs coming in. We need to show ambition or we will be left behind, simple as that. It’s not unrealistic for us to be a solid league one club, but we are nowhere near it with recruitment over the last couple of years.

Ultimately, we were told that Lennon has the final say on transfers and that the buck lies with him so he has to take the blame for this as much as anyone.

I agree that the ‘recruitment team’ has been a failure so far - and it’s an experiment that I would be bringing to an end - but Lennon’s record in bringing players in has been very poor over various seasons.

The whole coaching and backroom staff needs an overhaul IMO and whether the new chairman likes him and had a role in bringing Lennon in the first place is irrelevant, we are in free fall and it’s the role of a leader to take the necessary steps to take the club forward.

It’s part of a wider malaise throughout the club that has been there since the start of the season and it’s only ending one way - relegation back to L2 and then a helluva job competing with the former Juniors and well-backed operations to fight our way back up here.

I apologise for seeming fatalistic and I know Clyde fans have a reputation for the dramatic, but we’re all just going through the motions now and it’s not good enough.

8 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

There is a very real danger we will not stay in League 2, with league sizes of 10 there is not much of a ‘safety zone’ and the quality improves year on year with new clubs coming in. We need to show ambition or we will be left behind, simple as that. It’s not unrealistic for us to be a solid league one club, but we are nowhere near it with recruitment over the last couple of years.

Agree. We could be heading through the trap door very easily 

9 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Ultimately, we were told that Lennon has the final say on transfers and that the buck lies with him so he has to take the blame for this as much as anyone.

I agree that the ‘recruitment team’ has been a failure so far - and it’s an experiment that I would be bringing to an end - but Lennon’s record in bringing players in has been very poor over various seasons.

The whole coaching and backroom staff needs an overhaul IMO and whether the new chairman likes him and had a role in bringing Lennon in the first place is irrelevant, we are in free fall and it’s the role of a leader to take the necessary steps to take the club forward.

It’s part of a wider malaise throughout the club that has been there since the start of the season and it’s only ending one way - relegation back to L2 and then a helluva job competing with the former Juniors and well-backed operations to fight our way back up here.

I apologise for seeming fatalistic and I know Clyde fans have a reputation for the dramatic, but we’re all just going through the motions now and it’s not good enough.

Your spot on. No being dramatic- realistic more like. But who said the recruitment set up was a experiment? 
I think the board think it’s the way to go and I suppose it puts space between them and the performance on the pitch

but diamond apparently doesn’t want tae offer any kind of assurance  when given the chance on tuesday

its Not looking good not looking good at all

and with the club having no money where does this finish?

We really are up shit creek aren’t we?

No point vilifying the players. I have no doubt they are giving it their all and with the experience and success Danny and Al have; I am sure they are doing what they can on the training pitch. The state we find ourselves in is unacceptable, moreover our management duo are at the epicenter.

My concern now is more for next season. If this shit show continues do we entrust Danny? How do we sell another season of struggle or worse still relegation to Goodie?

We need a huge clear out of the playing squad. 

Edited by TheBigGuy

38 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

We really are up shit creek aren’t we?

No point vilifying the players. I have no doubt they are giving it their all and with the experience and success Danny and Al have; I am sure they are doing what they can on the training pitch. The state we find ourselves in is unacceptable, moreover our management duo are at the epicenter.

My concern now is more for next season. If this shit show continues do we entrust Danny? How do we sell another season of struggle or worse still relegation to Goodie?

We need a huge clear out of the playing squad. 

Yes we are up the proverbial creek without a paddle

sure the players are doing their best but it obvious now as it has been all season that it just isn’t good enough

Wish DL would just come out post match and say - we are s*** and I am to blame and don’t know what to do - I would applaud him for that honesty which is what anyone can clearly see

No we don’t entrust DL if we go down.  We have got worse year on year since promotion and signings since promotion have been very poor other than Mitchell

DGW is contracted for another year but if he wanted to leave I wouldn’t stand in his way as he is one player who doesn’t owe the club anything

This is a disaster of a season all down to poor recruitment of players and in more recent weeks, very questionable tactics. 

lennon out? Give me a viable option to replace him and I might well be, but we can’t sack him and end up with a bottom of the barrel manager. 

Every time I feel like we are having an awful time, I take a look at Dunfermline and chuckle. But we’re in the shit also.

dumbarton next week absolute must win we cannot settle for anything less. 

Thankfully I couldn’t make it as I had other commitments. Don’t think I’ll be back too much this season. Totally pissed off with our complete mismanagement since promotion. We’ve regressed year on year due to terrible recruitment. If DL chose to make those signings, he is 100% culpable and should walk (although I’m not sure who we could get in that could sort the mess out so I’m sure we’ll stick with him). There is no way we’re staying up with that squad. 
what pisses me off even more is that many fans donated a fair bit of money last year, both at the start of Covid with donations and then with season ticket balances at the end of last season. And this is what is served up. Complete kick in the nuts.  

Danny Lennon says he has the final say on players signed and takes full responsibility.

Graham Diamond when appointed said Lennon has the final say on players.

PJ Corr on Tuesday said Danny Lennon says Lennon has the final say on players.

The chairman on the podcast said Danny Lennon has the final say on players.

Based on the above I suspect Danny Lennon has final say on recruitment.

I think persisting with a back four is going to knacker us.

While I don't think any of the four today other than Munro were particularly poor, whatever four we put out just won't have the athletic qualities needed to stand a chance of keeping a clean sheet. The spaces inbetween them are way more than they can deal with. And that's true even when they're facing off against the less dynamic sides in the league. More than that, a four will never get the protection it would need from our midfielders however they are set-up. For all those reasons it needs to be a three of Page, Balatoni and Elsden.

The wing-backs can be Deveney and Livingstone. One on his wrong side. At least then we've got two wide players in familiar positions and two who are reasonably athletic. The midfield three should be Cuddihy, who we sorely missed today, Gomis and Kennedy. Cunningham and Goodwillie up top. Splaine is just too inexperienced and without the kind of savvy in possession which Kennedy clearly has. And while I recognise that Kennedy is timid and inexperienced himself, he won't do the dallying Splaine does that'll see us lose goals. On a good day Nicoll does us some favours, it's true, but I just think the balance of qualities is better with him in reserve.

We need to batten down the hatches between now and January so that our spirit doesn't break. The 3-5-2 with those bodies or something very close to it strikes me as the best way to stop the rot. It would maximise the experience and ability we have on the pitch, crowd the park out where otherwise there'd be lots of space for opponents and, importantly, avoid Goodwillie being isolated.

This actually reminds of the same period around about Halloween four years ago between Chapman leaving and Lennon coming in where we really needed to stiffen things up and we did for those few games with McInally in charge. We played, as I remember it, a 3-5-2/5-3-2 and the parallels are quite striking. Three slow centre backs then: Munro, McNiff and Home. Wingbacks who weren't always wingbacks and had some weaknesses: Stewart and Wright. Bit of a patchy midfield: Cuddihy, Ramsay and Lowdon. And not the best two but still a two up top in Gormley and Goodwillie. It served a purpose. I think we should consider it again (and stick to it!).

Edited by Clydeside
Typo

42 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

You must be watching a different player to me as Kennedy is absolutely s***

He certainly didn't play very well today out on the left hand side. He found himself with his back to goal a lot and never done much with the ball. That is, other than run it out or lose it. But it must be remembered that he spent most of the early career playing as a defensive or sitting type midfielder with Celtic. I don't think he'll ever do well out on the left. He has no real speed about him, doesn't play to beat a man or work a one-two to go forward. He has nothing but a left foot to recommend him to that position. You'd need to ask Danny what his thinking was there. I suppose he's a fair height and so can compete a bit better than Cunningham, say, for headers. But I don't see him as being great in the air either. He probably got put out there to shield Docherty given there'd be McGuffie, maybe McDaid if he swapped or Morrison (if we thought he might play) and another over on that side to deal with. He'd be a better choice for that than Cunningham certainly. Not than Deveney though, to my mind.

He's got a lot to learn. And he's not long back from a bad injury remember (leg break). But I think he has potential and he's a good player technically. Doesn't complicate things. Doesn't take too many touches. Keeps it ticking. You don't get to where he did with Celtic without having some talent. And I would just point out that a lot of what you would fairly criticise Kennedy for, you'd also have criticised Barry Cuddihy for as a central midfielder when Chapman brought him in. But with a season or two behind him, Cuddihy became what he is today. Our best midfielder and comfortably good enough to play at this level.

Things are a bit different with Splaine as he's three or four years older than Kennedy but with, as far as I can see, just as little experience at this level and some habits that aren't easily removed from your game if they're still there in your mid 20s.

Edited by Clydeside
Typos

1 hour ago, Clydeside said:

He certainly didn't play very well today out on the left hand side. He found himself with his back to goal a lot and never done much with the ball. That is, other than run it out or lose it. But it must be remembered that he spent most of the early career playing as a defensive or sitting type midfielder with Celtic. I don't think he'll ever do well out on the left. He has no real speed about him, doesn't play to beat a man or work a one-two to go forward. He has nothing but a left foot to recommend him to that position. You'd need to ask Danny what his thinking was there. I suppose he's a fair height and so can compete a bit better than Cunningham, say, for headers. But I don't see him as being great in the air either. He probably got put out there to shield Docherty given there'd be McGuffie, maybe McDaid if he swapped or Morrison (if we thought he might play) and another over on that side to deal with. He'd be a better choice for that than Cunningham certainly. Not than Deveney though, to my mind.

He's got a lot to learn. And he's not long back from a bad injury remember (leg break). But I think he has potential and he's a good player technically. Doesn't complicate things. Doesn't take too many touches. Keeps it ticking. You don't get to where he did with Celtic without having some talent. And I would just point out that a lot of what you would fairly criticise Kennedy for, you'd also have criticised Barry Cuddihy for as a central midfielder when Chapman brought him in. But with a season or two behind him, Cuddihy became what he is today. Our best midfielder and comfortably good enough to play at this level.

Things are a bit different with Splaine as he's three or four years older than Kennedy but with, as far as I can see, just as little experience at this level and some habits that aren't easily removed from your game if they're still there in your mid 20s.

Kennedy didn’t play well today and has been hopeless all season when played

Had one of the worst attempts have ever seen at crossing the ball v Cove last week and the least said about his throwins v Airdrie the better

Agree Cuddihy is our best midfielder but that wouldn’t be hard at the moment as the rest are s***

Cuddihy is a bang average player with his only attribute being a bit of pace and a good engine……but then again so does Mo Farah but doesn’t mean he a good footballer